Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Call

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 08:45

I tried to put a poll with the choices of Pass, Double, 5S and Other, but somehow I failed!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 09:13

I can't decide between 5 and a lead directing 6.
But if pass and double are possibilities, maybe I'm losing it.

#3 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 09:14

I have a feeling this is actually a ruling quesion ....

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 09:30

View Postmich-b, on 2014-March-13, 09:14, said:

I am very suspicious too.

I am tempted to bid 6. If partner jumps to 4 all on his own, this might well make.

But I will bid 5. (But let's say that I am seriously considering 6. ;))

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 09:50

Can't bid less than 5. A slam try on the previous round is an LA but since I apparently didn't do that I am not doing it now.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 10:02

Obviously not passing or doubling. 5 is the easiest choice. I could live with 6 or 6 as mentioned by others.

View Postmich-b, on 2014-March-13, 09:14, said:

Spoiler

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 10:10

Are we sure partner's remembered the system? :)

I'm envisaging points roughly evenly split between all four players, partner with at least AKJ6th of spades, probably two or three small diamonds. If he has more than one heart as well then 5S doesn't stand much of a chance - he'd bid the same with AKJxxxx Qxx xx x as AKJxxxx x xx Qxx, right?

I'll plump for 5S and be more hoping it makes, not that I've missed slam. If it doesn't make, it might well be cheap anyway. But certainly not pass, nor double.

ahydra

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-March-13, 12:02

View Postbillw55, on 2014-March-13, 10:02, said:

Obviously not passing or doubling. 5 is the easiest choice. I could live with 6 or 6 as mentioned by others.

Spoiler

There are other possibilities. I am getting opinions without whatever irregularity there might have been.

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-March-13, 12:05

View Postahydra, on 2014-March-13, 10:10, said:

he'd bid the same with AKJxxxx Qxx xx x as AKJxxxx x xx Qxx, right?

Indeed he would. And why do you think they are about to lead Ax or Kx of hearts on the first of these? Surely they will try to cash a top diamond. Anyway, thanks for your opinions, which accorded with mine. Two diamonds was a misbid, showing the majors, alerted and correctly explained as such. The player, who now had UI, doubled 5D, and I thought that 5S was the normal choice, with higher bids also possible on both this and the previous round. The TD is still to rule, as the league in question handles rulings by referral to an eminent panel, a sort of ruling and appeal all in one, which I think is quite a good system.

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-March-13, 14:20

Passing 4 was dubious, IMO. There is a really good argument for bidding 5 immediately. Although that sounds like a wild 6-6 or so, at some point you have to give up on looking for strains. 4 seems like a declaration of strain. So, 5 should probably show this hand.

Doubling 5 is not remotely acceptable, IMO. 5 as last train might make sense. 5 is the no-brainer. 6 is reasonable. 6 is plausible. Double is sick.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-13, 15:49

5 or 6 but as Helene said and for the same reasons i would settle with 5
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 17:21

View Postlamford, on 2014-March-13, 12:05, said:

Two diamonds was a misbid, showing the majors, alerted and correctly explained as such. The player, who now had UI, doubled 5D, and I thought that 5S was the normal choice, with higher bids also possible on both this and the previous round. The TD is still to rule, as the league in question handles rulings by referral to an eminent panel, a sort of ruling and appeal all in one, which I think is quite a good system.

It seems to me that 5 is a logical alternative on the previous round and that the UI demonstrably suggested passing 4 over bidding on. Let's hope that the eminent panel has not been reading too many of your arguments about logical alternatives having to be determined "using the methods of the partnership"!

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-13, 17:34

View Postjallerton, on 2014-March-13, 17:21, said:

It seems to me that 5 is a logical alternative on the previous round and that the UI demonstrably suggested passing 4 over bidding on. Let's hope that the eminent panel has not been reading too many of your arguments about logical alternatives having to be determined "using the methods of the partnership"!

Agreed, there's no way I'd have passed 4 last time, at least 5 this time.

#14 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-March-13, 18:30

View Postjallerton, on 2014-March-13, 17:21, said:

At least I hope that they have also read my volte-face, on a thread on here, where I quoted Richard Hills who pointed out that Law 75 contradicts Law 16B, and there is also a WBFLC minute often mentioned, for example "Referring again to the principle that a specific law overrides a general law" in the Sao Paulo minutes. So, while 16B still wrongly states as you quote, and needs to be corrected, we apply the more specific Law 75 and decide LAs based on what the player believed were the methods of the partnership at the time, reinforced by Law 73C if necessary. The board was at my team-mates' table, and they were the non-offenders, and I think that 5x-4 is a probable outcome. Unless you think the hand opposite, which was xxxxx AQx xxx Qx, will bid more. Perhaps we should get some percentage of 6x-5.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users