BBO Discussion Forums: Does GIB have a death wish bidding system - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does GIB have a death wish bidding system In response to strong 2 cluibs openings

#1 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-October-02, 04:36

I open 2, Unfavourable vulneraility GIB overcalls 2 6-10 HCP, Partner GIB passes, I double and they gone down for 800- I can barely make 4. Couldn't they just have no overcalls for strong 2 openings. If they are desperate to have something then 7 playing tricks at unfavorable 6 Playing tricks at neutral and 5 Playing tricks at favorable vulnerable seems reasonable.

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-06, 21:26

It seems strange not to adjust the criteria for the "weak 2" over a strong 2c
Maybe the bot was just unlucky this time :)

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-08, 21:12

View Postthepossum, on 2023-October-06, 21:26, said:

It seems strange not to adjust the criteria for the "weak 2" over a strong 2c
Maybe the bot was just unlucky this time :)

I don't understand unlucky. It has a bid description to check. Why it has anything other an impossible to meet requirement is the question?

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-08, 21:37

I'm not sure what you were looking at, but a 2 overcall of 2 does not show 6-10 HCP in GIB's system; it shows 9+ with twice rebiddable spades. Last I read, most humans don't compete anywhere near *enough* over 2 bids, and should be competing much more.

There is an old sporadic bug in Solitaire only (never in any other scenario) where sometimes it forgets about an earlier bid, thus might have described 2 as an opening preempt, or in other cases that 2 is weak with spades after its partner's 1NT opener, etc.

Maybe that's what happened here - if not and it was a proper table on BBO, an exported hand diagram (which includes all of the alerts verbatim) would make it much clearer.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-08, 22:52

View Postcloa513, on 2023-October-08, 21:12, said:

I don't understand unlucky. It has a bid description to check. Why it has anything other an impossible to meet requirement is the question?

I haven't often competed over 2C, or tried to disrupt. But I imagine it could be a winning tactic sometimes - people do it
Just today GiB successfully disrupted my 2C opening with a 3D pre-empt - looking at the traveller you had to gamble on 3NT or doubling the pre-empt - close call - I just went for part score in my suit which went down 1 trick
Regarding the OP hand I haven't seen the hands but depending on vulnerability maybe the bot was unlucky :) - on another day it stops a slam

#6 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-13, 02:47

Preempting over 2 is a waste of time. Either you jump to game which 2 pretty much says you have it or you decide to double for severe penalty. It shouldn't stop slam bidding. I bid 2 and partner passes and I have values then I probably double- it depends on my distribution and ace holding.

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-13, 03:20

View Postcloa513, on 2023-October-13, 02:47, said:

Preempting over 2 is a waste of time.

Preempting over 2C is an excellent thing to consider - people don't do it enough. Your side is mostly free of the tedious need to try constructive bidding, so you can jump around a lot if you find a fit. You don't need to always let them have things their own way when they've used up a round of bidding to say they have all the points but nothing about shape.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users