• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a UCB situation? overcaller's second bid after 4th suit advance

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-15, 12:13

We had two auctions involving fourth-suit advances the other day, here was the second one where we missed game

(IMPs, we are vulnerable)

We play the 4th suit bid (1S here) as reasonably constructive, say (7)8+ pts, 5+ cards. I was West, partner said that I should have bid 3C to show a good spade raise rather than 3S which should really be pre-emptive. (In case it's relevant, we play fit jumps, so chances are 1S denies a diamond fit.)

Being an unpassed hand, I was worried about distinguishing that from something like Ax KJxx AKJxx xx where I need to ask for a club stop for 3NT. (I can't really start with X on this hand because of the spade shortage.) Maybe it's possible to play the cue bid in this position as two-way, but my understanding was the UCB only applies when raising partner's overcall, not his advance. Any advice for us here?

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 12:39

I think 4 might well be the practical bid for West, side-stepping the entire debate. If you want a preemptive raise then I think 2 (LHO's suit) should be the good raise here rather than 3. It is not by default a UCB but playing it that way seems to work if you want to.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 13:31

Auction was OK, and game goes down if either of our suits breaks badly. However, I woud have gone on to game as East.

Regarding the systemic issue, I think a cue bid just shows a random game force with values in the suit bid. With spade support, just raise to the appropriate level, which in this case I would say is three. With a "preemptive" raise, just bid game and transfer the problem to them.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 15:18

"Pre-emptive" raise to 3S is rather a waste of time in this situation. Everyone knows who has got what., and you have have the boss suit.

That said, you want to have simple agreements, and that is not conducive to changing your agreements depending on whether the suit is Spades or Clubs (or something in between).

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 16:25

What is a " UCB " ??
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 17:13

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-June-15, 16:25, said:

What is a " UCB " ??

Unassuming cue bid. Is just what we call a bid of their suit showing a good raise in the UK. You would probably just call it a cue raise.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users