• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is It Worth Exploring Grand

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-May-27, 02:34

I had this hand come up on BBO earlier. Partner a random but appears strong.

I wasn't sure what to do here: We were playing 4 way transfers so I could've transfered and bid exclusion but I thought it was too risky with my Kx spade holding. Therefore I simply bid 6D thinking the risk of having the contract wrongsided was too great vs the gain of possibly finding a grand.

Obviously there was the risk of 2 quick club losers.

Is there any scientific way to bid the hand!!

Thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-27, 06:08

What's 3D? If natural, slam interest, forcing, then one can follow up with exclusion without having to worry about the SK being wrong-sided.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-27, 06:40

Also if 3 is the super-accept when you bid 2N, p is unlikely to bid that so you needn't worry about wrongsiding.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-27, 09:04

I play a 3 response as natural and slammy but with modofied follow-ups - 3 = decline slam try; 3 = accept slam try and no spade control; 3NT = accept slam try, spade control, no heart control; 4 = accept slam try, major suit controls, no club control; others = accept slam try and controls in all side suits. Playing 4 suit transfers the usual continuations are to show shortage after the transfer. That would be the scientific start for the agreed system. Of course bidding it the way you did gave you the maximum chance of making 6 if there were 2 cashers in clubs. Opposite a random this seems like a sensible way of proceding to me - the chances of getting all the way to 7 without a misunderstanding are probably not high.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-May-27, 10:05

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-27, 09:04, said:

I play a 3 response as natural and slammy but with modofied follow-ups - 3 = decline slam try; 3 = accept slam try and no spade control; 3NT = accept slam try, spade control, no heart control; 4 = accept slam try, major suit controls, no club control; others = accept slam try and controls in all side suits. Playing 4 suit transfers the usual continuations are to show shortage after the transfer. That would be the scientific start for the agreed system. Of course bidding it the way you did gave you the maximum chance of making 6 if there were 2 cashers in clubs. Opposite a random this seems like a sensible way of proceding to me - the chances of getting all the way to 7 without a misunderstanding are probably not high.

Too much science can be a disaster in this sort of auction, give partner AQJ, AKQx, xxx, xxx and it's entirely possible no game even makes, but 6 or even 7 may make if you don't pinpoint the lead.

I'd be inclined to gerber and bid 6 opposite 2 aces, 7 opposite 3, you'd be unlucky for 7 to be worse than a finesse opposite 3 although it can happen particularly if partner has Q without the J, it's quite likely to be cold - any K or Q, Q or J puts it on a finesse.

#6 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-27, 11:24

6D may end up being best bid on balance because it helps us avoid a killer club lead sometimes.

Transfer with 2N then 4H would show shortness. Partner should be able to place the final contract or keycard from there. If partner super accepts with 3C we can begin cue-bidding immediately and have plenty of time to space to check for club stops.

#7 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-27, 21:45

It is "scientific" IMO, to consider what is the worst 15 partner could have. If he had that, what are the odds that opener will find the opening lead? 16 is slightly above the average 15-17 opening hand. With 16, what is probable, etc.?

Could a partnership agreement leave you short of a cold slam? Hard to assess this, but it certainly depends on the depth and quality of the agreement.

Finally, of course, what is the form of scoring? How strong are the opponents? If duplicate, how strong is the field?

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-May-28, 03:18

thanks folks,

as a side partner had this decision

would you raise?

thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 03:36

I'm not worried about a spade lead - clubs worry me more.

If we are going to abandon science the answer is to bid 2NT (showing diamonds) followed by exclusion RKCB in clubs. Since we are punting slam anyway, we may as well stop the lead.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-May-28, 03:50

View Posteagles123, on 2014-May-28, 03:18, said:

thanks folks,

would you raise?

thanks,

Eagles

No, you can't guarantee partner has A, although you may well make 7 on a non spade lead unless somebody has 5 clubs

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 04:05

If my partner bids slam off AK of trumps, I'm going to assume he has a lot of extras (and looking at AK, a club void).
[edit]
Then again, he didn't, so my post makes no sense. See Zel below.

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-May-28, 05:44

View PostAntrax, on 2014-May-28, 04:05, said:

If my partner bids slam off AK of trumps

Trumps are diamonds not hearts. Perhaps they are sitting over there with KJT9 - AKQT97652 - and were either scared of a misunderstanding or thought they had no chance of finding out what they needed to know. Or perhaps just missing a trump honour - AKJT9 - KQT97652 -. Who knows? Surely partner knows what they have in their hand better than I do.
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 06:49

Thanks for the correction - I invented a new hand which I found more interesting :)

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-28, 09:33

raise 6D?? ofc not

#15 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-May-28, 10:02

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-May-28, 09:33, said:

raise 6D?? ofc not

We agree..just pass 6 as your hand is defined and constrained by the opening 1NT bid anyhow and you could be off the ace of . Partner's blast to 6 is hoping to make and hoping to not give away much info.

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 11:15

I once played with a pick up partner from the same bridgeclub.

She opened 2NT. We didn't have detailed agreements, so with my nice distributional diamond hand I simply bid 6. Then came the words that turned a top into a bottom... "I think I have to alert that. Rik plays so many conventions, so this must be a transfer."

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-29, 02:06

The way to explore the hand is minor suit transfer followed by 3

1NT-3
3-3 (heart shortness, normally singleton)

Over this partner will have to decide between 3NT and 3 spades, his hand is good, but AK is too much to bypass 3NT IMO.

3NT-4 (now a sure heart void slam try)
5-6 (5 denies spade control)

With AK opposite a void opener might also decide to bid 4NT sing off instead of 5, but he has a maximum with 4 card support I don't think he should do that. AK hearts is much better than KQJx

#18 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-30, 02:27

would you raise?

I wouldn't usually just because you so rarely need to bid grands. However, I am sympathetic to it. How much more can partner need from you when you have Jxxx of their trump suit (they likely have, say, AKQxxxx) and a side AKxxx, AK and Qx. I mean they are very likely to be void in clubs, I'd think, since the jump does sort of imply a void and our length there seems to make it likely. But something like AKx Qxx AKQxxxx - Seems pretty reasonable as does as little as Axx Qxx AKTxxxxx.

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-May-30, 04:15

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-May-28, 03:36, said:

I'm not worried about a spade lead - clubs worry me more.

If we are going to abandon science the answer is to bid 2NT (showing diamonds) followed by exclusion RKCB in clubs. Since we are punting slam anyway, we may as well stop the lead.

Indeed. I did some simulations and partner had Kx... or KJ... in clubs about twice as often as no fitting spade honour. A club lead might also be bad when partner has AQ.

Not sure how to estimate the upside of 6D in not highlighting a club lead. And of course 6D loses an intelligent investigation of a grand - although that might be difficult in a non-regular partnership.

Edit: My second larger simulation wasn't so convincing.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#20 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-May-30, 04:18

thanks folks,

would you raise?

thanks,

Eagles

Never. Partners stretch on this auction. Maybe some luck was needed if you were minimum now that you are maximum it is cold rather than needing that luck.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users