• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ELC with both majors

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-07, 10:33

As I understand it, low-level ELC normally applies only when you double a major and then convert clubs or notrumps to diamonds. That is
1M dbl pass 1NT/2
pass 2
showing 4OM and 5 without promising extras.

What do you think of doing the same thing with 4-5 in the majors after one of a minor? That is, these sequences:
1 dbl pass 1
pass 1

1 dbl pass 2
pass 2

1m dbl pass 1NT
pass 2

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-07, 10:42

Help me bid a 17-19 Hearts hand (or 18-20 etc...)
Not sure how to make the strong hand auctions work here.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-August-07, 11:23

Some do this, but I find it dubious, personally.

The main reasons, IMO, are major focus and level commitment. If I I have 4M/5+, I feel the need toget the major on the table. Sure, I could bid the diamonds and then back in with a double, but I dislike that, largely because I am introducing diamonds at the two-level.

With 4/6, I can put a major on the table with 1. Sure -- I may have to back in to get spades on the table later, but at least one major is out there. Plus, with my first call at the one-level, the auction is better, and partner has an easier time introducing spades himself.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 12:05

If your preference is to double with 5-4 majors rather than overcall, then it seems sensible especially with five hearts and four spades.

However viewing experts on vugraph my impression is that they tend to overcall rather than double on 5-4 hands when (I feel) there is a choice.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 18:38

I think it's dubious any time you can overcall without raising the level. Just as it would be to play 1 x p 1 p 2 as ELC when you could have just bid 1. It's the two level overcall that makes you fear missing the second suit more than the one level overcall.

But my opinion may be biased since I have always hated that convention anyway.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 23:52

What do you think of taking 5H-4S hands out of T/O Dbl?
Using instead a MM (akin to Michaels but 4-5) call?
The painful auction is Overcall 1H then guess to Dbl
4x spades back into the auction. Separate that (eg. Raptor).
Overcalling 1S then showing 2H ain't 5-5 as Michaels wasn't chosen,
so 5-4 even 6-4. Unlikely to be shut out as S-prefer is asked.
Where's the need for ELC?

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 04:10

I do not think it is winning Bridge to overcall hearts over a minor when you have 4 cards in spades unless there is an extreme disparity between the majors.
The risk of loosing your spade fit is as high here as in other ELC sequences.
It is a bit inconsistent that few people would show a heart overcall over a notrump opening when they have four cards in spades as well, but do not mind doing this over a minor suit opening.
When I play ELC it always applies to length in the middle unbid suit.
It seems to work fine in practice. Also the negative inference when you overcall in the middle unbid suit that you will not have 4 cards in an unbid major is sometimes useful.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-August-08, 05:25

There is nothing inconsistent in this, rhm, because the issue is level.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 05:53

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-August-08, 05:25, said:

There is nothing inconsistent in this, rhm, because the issue is level.

So the bidding goes

(1m) - 1 - (3m or 4m) - P
(P) - ?

or

(1m) - 1 - (1NT) - P
(P) - ?

or

(1)-1-(3) - P
(P) - ?

All are fairly common follow-ups after a 1 overcall and I would feel much more uncomfortable sitting there with an opening bid and 4 cards in spades than after a DBL.
Frankly I can not see how level will help you here and anyway what matters is the level when the bidding comes back to you after you made your first bid.
This you never know. Also my lower limits for a takeout DBL are higher than for a one-level overcall, which helps in the above sequences.
Getting in both majors immediately when hearts are longer seems to me definitely superior.

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-August-08, 06:12

OK, then play ELC there. Go for it. My point remains, however, in that the auction is different if you must start at the two level. This is important to us, and hence our logic is not inconsistent. You might find it faulty, and I might disagree, but I and others are not inconsistent.

As a curiosity, i would guess that ELC types in this situation have an affinity for Flannery, whereas the opposite is true as well. A guess.

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-August-08, 06:47

I don't play ELC except for takeout doubles of their weak 2M openings. If I did play it, I still wouldn't play it in these auctions. I think Rexford has the reasons right. Doubling 1H instead of overcalling 2D when you have 45 is very different from doubling 1 instead of overcalling 1 when you hold 45.

However, after reading some posts of Fred (link?) I now play this auction:

1X dbl pass 1NT
pass 2Y

as a minimal takeout with a 5-card suit. Again this strikes me as more important when Y is a minor.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#12 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 10:16

View Postrhm, on 2012-August-08, 04:10, said:

It is a bit inconsistent that few people would show a heart overcall over a notrump opening when they have four cards in spades as well, but do not mind doing this over a minor suit opening.

Lol, aside from the fact that's because of level, and because safety is more important over a 1NT opening bid, some of us use 2 for majors over 1NT and can always get to an equal or longer fit. If I had a bid that guaranteed I get to my best fit with 4-5 in the majors over a minor suit opening I would use that too!
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-August-08, 10:29

If you wat to talk inconsistency, then why the arbitrary decision to double with longer hearts than spades but not with longer spades than hearts?

Give yourself 6-4-2-1 shape. Using the logic I have seen, doubling allows you to spot either 4-4 major fit quickly but to then correct to spades if this fails. If you overcall 1, you preempt a heart fit discoverymore than if you overcall 1with 4/6. Doubling with 5+/4 would allow an inference that a 1 overcall tends to deny four hearts.

Of course, this seems to me like nonsense, but we are talking about consistency, apparently.

-P.J. Painter.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-August-08, 10:39

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-August-08, 10:29, said:

If you wat to talk inconsistency, then why the arbitrary decision to double with longer hearts than spades but not with longer spades than hearts?

Because it's more convenient to overcall spades and then bid hearts than to overcall hearts and then bid spades. Hence with 5=4 there is less benefit to starting with double.

Also, if you double with 54xx and then convert partner's minor to spades, with 1=3 in the majors he will have nowhere to go; if you double with 45xx and then convert partner's minor to hearts, with 3=1 in the majors he can convert to 2.

Give yourself 6-4-2-1 shape.

I don't know why you keep talking about 6-4s. If there is a benefit to doubling on these shapes, it's obviously greater when the suits are 5-4 rather than 6-4.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-August-08, 10:42

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-08, 10:45

The main reason for overcalling with 54M hands, is that when partner has four card support he can bounce the auction higher than he can after a t/o double. After the opps have opened 1N preempting them is barely an issue.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-August-08, 10:46

View Postgnasher, on 2012-August-08, 10:39, said:

Because it's more convenient to overcall spades and then bid hearts than to overcall hearts and then bid spades

I don't know why you keep talking about 6-4s. If there is a benefit to doubling on these shapes, it's obviously greater when the suits are 5-4 rather than 6-4.

Is doubling really that inconvenient? I mean:

1-1-2-P
P-X?

That does not seem very inconvenient. I mean, sure -- you have to grab a card in the lower section of the bidding box, where the red, green, and blue cards are often all jumbled up and messy, whereas grabbing the 2 card is very easy and smooth.

As to the 5-4's versus 6-4's, I concede your point, even if I am not sure what the point might be. Shift to 5-4's if you want. The issue is the same. However, there are some 5-4's that I would treat as 4-4's myself, like maybe xxxxx-AKJx. But, then I would not ELC to that "five-card" suit anyway.

Now, this does bring up a funny observation, namely that you might well have a delayed ELC occur. Overcall a major, double, and then convert to hearts if partner bids the other minor.

-P.J. Painter.

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-August-09, 00:16

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-August-08, 10:46, said:

1-1-2-P
P-X?

That does not seem very inconvenient. I mean, sure -- you have to grab a card in the lower section of the bidding box, where the red, green, and blue cards are often all jumbled up and messy, whereas grabbing the 2 card is very easy and smooth.

If you play that sequence as promising four spades, you can no longer double 2 on 3541, 3532 and 3631 shapes.

#18 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-09, 02:13

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-August-08, 10:46, said:

1-1-2-P
P-X?

When opponents are convenient enough to bid like this, overcalling 1 does not create insurmountable problems.
Unfortunately in the world I play these scenarios are more the exception than the rule.
Better players understand well that to win they must be more ambitious to create problems for their opponents in the contested auction.

I have given you above 3 sequences from opponents, who understand better what modern bidding warfare is about.
Now tell us how convenient it is to unearth your spade fit.

Rainer Herrmann

#19 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-09, 02:30

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-08, 10:45, said:

The main reason for overcalling with 54M hands, is that when partner has four card support he can bounce the auction higher than he can after a t/o double. After the opps have opened 1N preempting them is barely an issue.

I do not doubt that you might be slightly better off by overcalling 1 provided your fit is in hearts.
Why tell the table about your side suits, when you have a fit in your primary suit.
Trouble of course starts when partner has length in your secondary suit and shortage in your primary suit.
If partner has a long major and you make a t/o double he can bounce the bidding in either major, though to be fair not quite as high in hearts.
Assuming you overcall 1 with 5 hearts and 4 spades, tell me how you bounce the bidding when partner has spades, which is at least as likely.
What is worse, you may well be at the loosing end if LHO bounces first the auction in their minor over 1. This is quite likely should you have a good spade fit.

Rainer Herrmann

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-09, 05:02

View Postrhm, on 2012-August-08, 05:53, said:

So the bidding goes

(1m) - 1 - (3m or 4m) - P
(P) - ?

or

(1m) - 1 - (1NT) - P
(P) - ?

or

(1)-1-(3) - P
(P) - ?

All are fairly common follow-ups after a 1 overcall and I would feel much more uncomfortable sitting there with an opening bid and 4 cards in spades than after a DBL.

Rainer Herrmann

In most of your arguments you treat your pd as if he/she is someone disabled and can not bid his/her hand. I can easily see from your concerns that you are trying to maintain the control of bidding all by yourself and defending actions that takes care of pd's hand too, as if he/she was punished by TD from bidding for 1 round.

#3 is not common at all to start with. (Assuming it is wjs) But even if it happens people play responsive doubles for a reason :)

#1 I don't even understand why u brought this, again, train your pd to use responsive doubles. If he/she already knows then stop worrying about it, the hands that you actually may have something when he/she fails to use responsive double are very small target.

#2 is easy, you cue bid, this is not a giant hand ( you could have doubled 1 NT) Any pd who is capable of observing the auction can easily understand you can not have a giant, your side has at best 20 hcp if they made their bids with minimum, i would cue with confident 4-5 majors when 1 NT comes to me, even without any agreement, if i am annoyed to sell it out.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users