"We didn't vote for Bush"

#721 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-November-21, 17:38

Hannie, on Nov 21 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

mike777, on Nov 20 2007, 11:14 PM, said:

If you say politicians "suck" then those that vote them ....?

Suck?
Were mislead?
Were careless?
Don't think enough about politics?
Are victims of a system where charisma plays a more important role than opinions?

Not charisma Hannie. Lawn signs, it's all about the lawn signs.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#722 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-21, 17:44

I suspected the compassionate conservatives (joke) would find a way to put a posititve spin to McCarthyism. Scary.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#723 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2007-November-21, 17:44

mike777, on Nov 21 2007, 02:14 AM, said:

If you say politicians "suck" then those that vote them ....?

.... are suckers.

#724 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-21, 17:48

Bridge_Bain, on Nov 22 2007, 12:27 AM, said:

QUOTE 1eyedjack @ Nov 21 2007, 05:55 PM

And to think; if you tell the kids of today that you gave an article to some non-bridge players to see their reaction and claimed that they said, in their own words, “I thought you said bridge is fun and stimulating. If the slightest irregularity leads to such a negative, vindictive tone talking about legal action and sever punishment, why bother? I don’t think I want to be involved with that type of neurotic personalities” then they'd never believe you

Sorry, you lost me. [This was with adults, by the way.]

I know at least one other responder here took the time to ask friends about their reaction to the incident. There are just too many pages to review to get it quoted here.

Sorry, you have to have seen the Monty Python sketch about kids brought up in the poverty striken north of England to understand it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#725 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-21, 17:54

I used to live in a cardboard box with no lid and 9 sisters and 14 brothers, that was a hard life

#726 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2007-November-21, 19:57

ducky_rh, on Nov 20 2007, 06:16 PM, said:

I believe that such a demonstration shows compete disrespect for one's country and for the OFFICE of the President

WTF? Actually, I know what. You have successfully been instilled with the commingling mindset I mentioned in my self-deleted post and elsewhere, where the OFFICE of the President and its current Holder (or, more abstractly, the USA and the current Administration) are one and the same. The Republicans (because they are the current Administration. I'm not being partisan here. Hey, when the Democrats get in, it's not like they're going to try to dissuade anyone from that view) and those for whom the current erosion of liberties of the Common Man is advantageous (because equating lese majeste with treason allows any trampling of liberties. You see, the Leader says it's right, and you're anti-American if you disagree with the Leader, so...) want this commingling to continue in the mind of America.

Of course, as one of the things that has driven the United States of America since the beginning was that that equating led inevitably to Tyranny, and Americans were, and should continue to be, willing to kill and die to escape Tyranny, than even as a non-American, I fight against that message.

The sign said nothing *at all* about either their country or the OFFICE of the President; no more than me saying that I am glad to have moved this year because now, I don't have to live with the fact that Stephen Harper is my MP (go ahead, look it up. I'll wait). It said something about what they thought of the current *holder* of the OFFICE of the President, but that is totally different. (It also said something about how euphoria and 14 days of stress and more than the odd bit of needling by, well, *everybody else* can cause people to make very poor judgments. But I've stated my opinion of what I think happened a number of times here, so...)

and I consider their act to be repugnant and as improper as it could get.

That is your choice. I think the words are strong, but I also disapproved of their act. I understand, but I still disapprove. It was definitely improper, an example to be remembered and not repeated.

I will forever hold those women in contempt for their action.  It was disrespectful, uncalled for in the situation, and most of all, completely juvenile.

Perhaps. And it is your right to hold whatever personal beliefs you choose to, as it is yours and others' right to make them pay in lost earnings by not hiring them for their team. And I'm sure they will see that cost, and realize what they are paying for their action, for time to come. Of course, there will be people who will hire them specifically because of their action. The wheel turns, the Balance restores...

It was also a joke at an inappropriate time conducted in an inappropriate manner. Anyone not have one of those in their lives? How is life in that bubble, sir? And how do you reach out to hold the cards? Those of us that do have those moments value the virtue of forgiveness in others that makes it possible to continue to live (quite literally in many cases).

Michael.

P.S. (as a Geordie, which I realize isn't quite the quite here) "Luxury."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#727 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2007-November-21, 22:08

BBO Wars I
Boardtrooper: Let me see your reasoning.
Obi-Jon: You don't need to see his reasoning.
Boardtrooper: We don't need to see his reasoning.
Obi-Jon: These aren't the posts you're looking for.
Boardtrooper: These aren't the posts we're looking for.
Obi-Jon: He can go about his business.
Boardtrooper: You can go about your business.
Obi-Jon: Move along to another a thread.
Boardtrooper: Move along... move along to another thread.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#728 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-November-21, 23:52

officeglen, on Nov 22 2007, 04:08 AM, said:

BBO Wars I
Boardtrooper: Let me see your reasoning.
Obi-Jon: You don't need to see his reasoning.
Boardtrooper: We don't need to see his reasoning.
Obi-Jon: These aren't the posts you're looking for.
Boardtrooper: These aren't the posts we're looking for.
Obi-Jon: He can go about his business.
Boardtrooper: You can go about your business.
Obi-Jon: Move along to another a thread.
Boardtrooper: Move along... move along to another thread.

Hey Glen. I'll take Obi-Jon, but I was thinking more along the lines of Yoda (actually, truth betold I was thinking more along the lines of Col Jessup.)

"Do or do not... there is no try.”

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

"Size matters not, ... Look at me. Judge me by size, do you?”

"Ohhh. Great warrior.Wars not make one great.”

"Stopped they must be; on this all depends. Only a fully-trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his Emperor.”
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#729 User is offline   Bozo_bus 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-November-22, 18:12

hrothgar, on Nov 21 2007, 12:03 PM, said:

Bozo_bus, on Nov 21 2007, 07:23 PM, said:

Trump that, if you can.

Why bother?

Idiots like you were ignored and marginalized back in the days when they called themselves "John Birchers".

I'm perfectly content to ignore your boviating now that you fashion yourselves "Ron Paul supporters".

Hofstadter's article "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" is every bit as true today as when he wrote it 40+ years ago.

"Why bother?"

That suggests to me that hrothgar has very important, extremely valuable knowledge that he is not motivated to share with those of us on this board! Maybe he is hinting that a monetary consideration should be offered to him for his trouble? Does anyone have an idea what hrothgar's knowledge might be worth? Anyone willing to go halvsies with me?

Idiots like you were ignored and marginalized back in the days when they called themselves "John Birchers".
Doh! It was my hope that my exceedingly low IQ would not be noticed. Silly me. Thank you so much for not ignoring me and instead responding to my post -- it's my first one here and so feared no one would answer, cuz, you know, not knowing anyone and all. John Birchers? It is not easy to find a group that will take idiots like me as a member. So, it seemed worth my time to look them up. This is what Wikipedia had to say:

The John Birch Society is a conservative American political organization.[1] It was founded in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1958 to fight what it saw as growing threats to the Constitution of the United States, especially a suspected Communist infiltration of the United States government, and to support free enterprise. It promotes a conspiracist view of history and current reality, linking political and social events to the globalist agendas of secret cabals working behind the scenes. The Society had been greatly marginalized within the conservative movement since the 1960s.[2]

It was named after John Birch, a United States military intelligence officer and Baptist missionary in World War II who was killed in 1945 by armed supporters of the Communist Party of China, and whom the JBS describes as "the first American victim of the Cold War." His parents joined the society as life members.

Based in Appleton, Wisconsin, the society describes itself as "a membership-based organization dedicated to restoring and preserving freedom under the United States Constitution." It says that members come from all walks of life and are active in all 50 states via local chapters. Its mission is to achieve "Less Government, More Responsibility, and — With God's Help — a Better World." The JBS was formed as an educational organization and does not endorse candidates but has often come out against political figures seen as un-American.

Yes, you are right, they were marginalized. Who does the marginalizing anyway? The mainstream media? Now why would the mainstream media marginalize a conservative organization? That never happens. Maybe it was those silly suspicions about communist infiltration of the US government that the torrent of documents coming out of Moscow in the post-soviet era proves was more vast than anyone suspected. Seems like every time a new batch is released more of them on Moscow's payroll turn up. Then there is the 349 agents uncovered by the Venona project. Again from Wikipedia:

Many inside the NSA had argued internally that the time had come to publicly release the details of the Venona project, but it was not until 1995 that a bipartisan Commission on Government Secrecy, with Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan as chairman, released the Venona project materials. Moynihan wrote:

"[The] secrecy system has systematically denied American historians access to the records of American history. Of late we find ourselves relying on archives of the former Soviet Union in Moscow to resolve questions of what was going on in Washington at mid-century. [...] the Venona intercepts contained overwhelming proof of the activities of Soviet spy networks in America, complete with names, dates, places, and deeds."[22]

22 ^ Moynihan, Daniel Patrick (1998). Secrecy : The American Experience. Yale University Press, pg. 15. ISBN 0-300-08079-4.

...The Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor to the CIA, housed at one time or another between fifteen and twenty Soviet spies.[13] Duncan Lee, Donald Wheeler, Jane Foster Zlatowski, and Maurice Halperin passed information to Moscow. The War Production Board, the Board of Economic Warfare, the Office of the Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs and the Office of War Information, included at least half a dozen Soviet sources each among their employees. In the opinion of some, almost every American military and diplomatic agency of any importance was compromised to some extent by Soviet espionage.[14]

14 ^ Peake, Hayden B.. The Venona Progeny. Naval War College Review, Summer 2000, Vol. LIII, No. 3. Retrieved on 2006-06-26. "Venona makes absolutely clear that they had active agents in the U.S. State Department, Treasury Department, Justice Department, Senate committee staffs, the military services, the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the Manhattan Project, and the White House, as well as wartime agencies. No modern government was more thoroughly penetrated."

Seems those Birchers and that silly Senator McCarthy WERE wrong, it was MUCH worse than they claimed. Have they no decency? And then too they wasted so much time hunting witches! Funny thing though, does anyone recall the marginalizing mainstream media reporting any of this repeatedly to unmarginalize? Maybe they figured the Naval War College Review was sufficient. That sounds right...to an idiot.

I'm perfectly content to ignore your boviating now that you fashion yourselves "Ron Paul supporters".
Awwww. What will a Bozo do?? There is only one of me now, by the way, they amputated my other head years ago when the Bozo was twice as smart. You're prolly right to do so though, you could never learn anything from me. In fact, you are so smart you prolly can't learn anything from anyone. Maybe you NEVER have? Boviating? Please remember, you are talking to an idiot. Let's see...does it have to do with this being my first post while you have 5770 posts? Does it mean not saying a lot? Dr. Paul does have interesting and moral positions, but you would be misled if by "support" you mean the Bozo would be "voting for," cuz my vote always goes to my party's candidate, and not being a Republican... Also, Dr. Paul's voting record indicates that he is the most (maybe only) conservative running for the Republican nomination and so it is unlikely he will even win their nomination--Republicans have abandoned conservatism, didn't you notice? Yes, they grew government faster than Clinton did with that big spender Bush, the most neoliberal President since LBJ, at the helm. Uh huh.

Hofstadter's article "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" is every bit as true today as when he wrote it 40+ years ago.
Being an idiot, he and his work are foreign to me, but you must be right cuz a few years ago Hillary Clinton was complaining widely about some vast right wing conspiracy. That is what you mean, right? Maybe Hofstadter doesn't read the Naval War College Review? Oh wait, The Bozo is being ignored. Never mind.

There is no Founding American tradition that compels us to respect the other guy's religion; Americans are compelled to respect only the creator-granted right to have it -- even if that religion is the equally unprovable belief that there is no creator. --Bozo bus

We are ALL bozos on this bus. --Firesign Theater

#730 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-September-07, 17:54

just getting this moved to current list, along with the poll...

#731 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-07, 18:10

oh my god not this again

#732 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2011-September-07, 21:55

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-07, 18:10, said:

oh my god not this again

How can you complain about this re-pop?! You're on a Bermuda Bowl team now!!! Start preparing your sign, and win that sucka.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#733 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-September-08, 03:51

View PostLobowolf, on 2011-September-07, 21:55, said:

How can you complain about this re-pop?! You're on a Bermuda Bowl team now!!! Start preparing your sign, and win that sucka.

Hell yeah! You should auction off signage to the highest bidder!

"We're going to Disney World!" has an illustrious pedigree...
I'd play a fair amount to see "***** the ACBL (and their little dog too)"
Alderaan delenda est

#734 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2011-September-08, 14:18

"San Dimas High School football rules!" (Probably dating myself with that one).
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#735 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-August-20, 06:36

Anyone else following the developments surrounding the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia?

Might be some interesting new perspective on Shanghai...
Alderaan delenda est

#736 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-20, 10:57

This kind of act is all about tweaking someone's nose. It's crass and upsetting by design and if people judge that the cause isn't worth the discomfort they disagree with the act even if they agree with the cause.

Sometimes you just gotta tweak someone's nose though and there will be a lot of that in these games.

A lot.

And I look forward to it.

#737 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-August-22, 10:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-August-20, 06:36, said:

Anyone else following the developments surrounding the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia?

Might be some interesting new perspective on Shanghai...

Thanks. Hadn't noticed the parallels before.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users