• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-April-26, 09:20

Is this a 2 Multi for you? (edited)
Mudinberg 2?
Or?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#42 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-26, 10:53

Green vs red, with this hand structure and features, you are closer to 4S than to a weak 2.

The 4-cd H would prevent a lot to open were you 6-4, but with the 7th S…

In all cases, to answer your question, it is *not* a multi - unless one of the options is 7-4 majors, less than opening values

#43 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-27, 03:18

I'm scared of weak hands with both majors. They're never as good for preempting as I hope they are. It's not so much that we might belong in hearts, but that the opponents likely can't make anything. So I'm tempted to go low with 3, even though we are over strength for that opening.
It is not a multi.

#44 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-April-27, 08:37

Here's our auction. I'm South and with something in hearts I would have responded 2NT showing 14+
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#45 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-April-28, 23:41

Partner has 6 spades
pass, double or raise spades?
(still learning)

#46 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-29, 02:09

Pass looks fine. They're unlikely to make 4, and I don't fancy bidding 3-over-3 on what is likely a 16 trumps deal. Also LHO might be about to do something stupid.

#47 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-04, 09:33

Since we can't play Multi in ACBL Online games, we have kept playing the NZ online games.
The Auckland Bridge Club have a great online program. The games are scored online, club and across both online and club games which makes for a much more interesting game and analysis of results, the analysis tools are excellent too.

http://www.auckland....=493271&umbid=0
(still learning)

#48 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-May-04, 09:50

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-April-29, 02:09, said:

Pass looks fine. They're unlikely to make 4, and I don't fancy bidding 3-over-3 on what is likely a 16 trumps deal. Also LHO might be about to do something stupid.

You sure you can beat 4H? Partner was first seat at favourable. In my multi partnerships, that’s a warning sign QJ9xxx x xxx Qxx is an easy 2D and while 4H may fail, it may be cold. I entirely agree with the rest of your post but, if they bid 4H,I’m not yet prepared to say that they’ve done something stupid

xx Jxx AJxxx Kx. Opposite Axx KQxxx xx Axx. Better not double 4H😀
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#49 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-04, 09:59

I'm never doubling 4. I was only suggesting that I don't mind passing this out.

QJ9xxx x xxx Qxx at favourable first seat is a 3 opening, and I don't think it's particularly close.

#50 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-04, 10:29

Here's the hand
http://www.auckland....board=25&pair=3
(still learning)

#51 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-May-04, 16:02

"♠QJ9xxx ♥x ♦xxx ♣Qxx at favourable first seat is a 3♠ opening, and I don't think it's particularly close"

This is a 2S opening in a sane partnership in the first two seats and it is not close.

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#52 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-08, 18:01

multi weak 2 or 20-22

Poor agreement, but you have to bid 2 here?
(still learning)

#53 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-09, 01:56

What's wrong with a takeout double? In undiscussed competitive auctions I like to play STOPP doubles - first one is Strength, second TakeOut, third Penalties, fourth Penalties. Partner made the strength one, we make the takeout one.

#54 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-09, 11:21

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-May-09, 01:56, said:

What's wrong with a takeout double? In undiscussed competitive auctions I like to play STOPP doubles - first one is Strength, second TakeOut, third Penalties, fourth Penalties. Partner made the strength one, we make the takeout one.

STOPP sounds very useful, but we hadn't discussed it. :)
(still learning)

#55 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-June-18, 10:45

Partner has shown a minimum heart preempt, do you have enough to go to game?
(still learning)

#56 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-18, 11:02

What is a minimum for you? xx KQxxxx xxx xxx? I don't want to be in game. To be honest the 2NT inquiry was a bit pushy.

#57 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-June-18, 22:43

Style matters. Red v white, first seat, one definitely ought not to have xx KQxxxx xx xxx or the like, unless one hates partner, teammates and the game of bridge.

White v red, utterly different.

As are red v red and white v white.

At imps, I’d probably respond 3D, which for us (and many, though I have no idea how ‘standard’ this is, 2D 3D shows invitational values in both majors…I’m definitely opting for a vulnerable game at imps posited a maximum.

At mps, depends on my mood.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#58 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-20, 08:59

View Postthe hog, on 2023-March-29, 18:12, said:

MikeH: "If his side suit is always a minor, we bid 2N because 3m is probably better than 2H plus, importantly, 2N has preemptive value." This is by far not optimal. 2NT should always show values, not ask for the minor. With the minors as here, bid 3C/3D pass or correct. Who knows you may even pick up their suit .
Jilly after playing 2D Multi for a long time, I have come to the conclusion a 2D opening whould always be some weak 2 and include no strong option. This puts a lot of pressure on the opponents as 2D might even be passed.
2H = H and another is a very poor bid. We gave this up after analysing results as it was a loser.. Play 2H = H and a minor. If you want a bid to show Majors, play 2D as Ekrens.

There is a theory in system design circles that weak 2 and 2 openings are nearly always effective and a weak 2 opening generally less so. So a Muiderberg 2 opening is indeed much less effective than the Muiderberg 2 but then again the Weak 2 opening is much less effective than the Weak 2 and counter-intuitively also less effective than the Weak 2. For those that want to play both Multi and a "both majors" preempt, a relatively popular structure is 2 Weak 2M; 2 4+4+; 2 54+m. Last time I checked, admittedly a while back now, this was more common than a true (2) Ekrens opening.

#59 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-20, 09:59

View PostGilithin, on 2023-June-20, 08:59, said:

For those that want to play both Multi and a "both majors" preempt, a relatively popular structure is 2 Weak 2M; 2 4+4+; 2 54+m. Last time I checked, admittedly a while back now, this was more common than a true (2) Ekrens opening.

Looks logical and easy to play. Is 2 2NT natural?

#60 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-20, 11:44

View Postpescetom, on 2023-June-20, 09:59, said:

Looks logical and easy to play. Is 2 2NT natural?

Different structures are possible but it is usually played as an artificial relay, as in Chris Ryall's write-up from many years back.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users