Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

expanation doule/redouble

#1 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-24, 03:54

i Played E. what does my partner's (w) double mean? N redouble? What is my correct bid after redouble?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-24, 04:07

X normally the blacks

XX unalerted big hand

I would bid 2 over the redouble as you have a substantial preference between the blacks

2 (and his pass at the end) suggests partner actually has a lot of hearts and doesn't know what his first double meant, 2 should be a huge hand artificial by an unpassed hand and barely exists here, there is a case for it being pick a black suit I suppose, and he interpreted your pass over the double as 2632 or something of the sort.

If the redouble was SOS or support then I reassess and call the director because it should be alerted at least in EBUland, elsewhere you might need to ask.

Do you have any agreement about what 1-P-1-2/ mean ? most people play them natural although we don't.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 06:23

In Italy, XX is more likely to be big hand than support, neither is alertable.
I wouldn't bid vulnerable after XX with this hand (if W is forced to take a punt I can always correct 1Sx to 2C if so inclined).

#4 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 06:28

I can't think of a hand your partner may have that is compatible with the auction. I don't think the bids mean anything, other than maybe a desire to get to the next board.

Normally partner's double shows length in the two unbid suits (spades and clubs). We should definitely have bid a number of clubs over the redouble, regardless of whether that is support or values.
The freely bid 2 does not make any sense. Partner is a passed hand, if it was right to play 2 they should wait for us to enter the auction. The closest example I can think of is a 4=3=1=5 with ~10 HCP, but this means the opponents concealed their 28 HCP holding, heart fit and diamond fit. And even with that hand it's a terrible idea to put our head on the chopping block by bidding the suit held by the opponents with a sub-opening hand and no guarantee of a fit.

I think it is most likely partner does not play (1)-P-(1)-2 as natural and to play, and is trying to show that hand through an imaginative reroute. This is still a terrible idea, if the hand was not worth an opening or a preempt on the first round it surely hasn't improved from hearing RHO bid our suit. At least now the shapes around the table make some sense, though I hope you weren't more than four or five off.

#5 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 06:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-June-24, 04:07, said:

X normally the blacks

XX unalerted big hand

I would bid 2 over the redouble as you have a substantial preference between the blacks

2 (and his pass at the end) suggests partner actually has a lot of hearts and doesn't know what his first double meant, 2 should be a huge hand artificial by an unpassed hand and barely exists here, there is a case for it being pick a black suit I suppose, and he interpreted your pass over the double as 2632 or something of the sort.

If the redouble was SOS or support then I reassess and call the director because it should be alerted at least in EBUland, elsewhere you might need to ask.

Do you have any agreement about what 1-P-1-2/ mean ? most people play them natural although we don't.

#6 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 06:33

with this as my partner's hand is his bid if double correct?

#7 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 06:49

No, that hand should pass. The auction is almost certainly a misfit with length in both of the suits the opponents have bid. Furthermore, they likely hold the balance of strength since we didn't overcall or make a double. Just sit back and see where the auction dies out.

To enter the auction after the opponents have opened relies more on shape than on values, since often we're outgunned. In particular this requires length in some or all unbid suits.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-June-24, 08:19

View Postmaris oren, on 2023-June-24, 06:33, said:

It shouldn't come to much harm though if you bid 2, but it's a ridiculous bid

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 09:46

Paying an entry fee doesn’t mean one should try to bid sth other than pass at every opportunity.

What the hell was he thinking on the 1st round with a meager 10 HCP, no suit or his own, unlimited opener and responder, who on top of that had bid each his longer suits.

Rescued by the 1S bid, and warned by your 1st pass of no real desire to enter the auction, he nevertheless bids again a suit opps have advertised holding, gets X and plays there.

I think all bids (except the 1st pass) mean I want a new partner but didn’t want to hurt you saying it as plainly.

Anyway with your hand I’d have bid C before presuming partner had the blacks.

#10 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-June-24, 10:48

Pass is the most difficult bid to master.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-June-24, 11:02

View Postjillybean, on 2023-June-24, 10:48, said:

I often get accused of not having any green cards in my bidding box, but this one is ridiculous

#12 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-June-24, 15:44

View Postjillybean, on 2023-June-24, 10:48, said:

I am close to mastering it, I have had so much practice with the hands I typically pick up that it is probably the best part of my bidding. :-)

#13 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 16:14

Seriously, West doubled with this hand? Not good enough to open the bidding, and then makes a takeout double with 2-3 in the unbid black suits?

#14 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-24, 21:43

View Postjohnu, on 2023-June-24, 16:14, said:

Seriously, West doubled with this hand? Not good enough to open the bidding, and then makes a takeout double with 2-3 in the unbid black suits?

No one has said this, Maris: You picked up a random partner who either does not know how to bid, or, 99.99% more likely, one that has a big personal problem and wants to spoil your, and everyone else's game. Put them on your blacklist, avoid. I have looked at your profile, given your name, and seen that you are from Israel. My guess is that the person who partnered you on this hand is probably anti Israel. It is so bad that this happens. Racism should never happen on BBO, or anywhere. Instead of abusing you with words, that you could report, he has chosen to do it this way. I would still report this to BBO.

#15 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-June-25, 10:18

Whoa, I think it is unwise and a far stretch to imply a racist influence to this auction.
It's a bad bad, it's a terrible bid but inexperienced players holding AAQ want to bid.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users