• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you look for slam?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-16, 06:46

IMPs. General system is 5CM weak NT, not 2/1.

We don't have a way of showing a weak two in diamonds hence I passed as opener. After partner shows the big balanced hand what do you think about slam prospects? If you think slam investigation is reasonable how do you go about it?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 06:57

Definitely worth looking, I don't think even if partner has 5 spades that it will play better there much of the time, so I simply bid my "slam interested single suited diamonds" bid.

It is possible partner has something like KQx, Axx, Ax, AKJ10x where 6 is best but you can't have everything

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2022-November-16, 07:28

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-16, 06:46, said:

IMPs. General system is 5CM weak NT, not 2/1.

We don't have a way of showing a weak two in diamonds hence I passed as opener.

It's ok to have a style where this a 3 opening in 1st seat NV. (I do.)

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-16, 06:46, said:

After partner shows the big balanced hand what do you think about slam prospects? If you think slam investigation is reasonable how do you go about it?

I think slam prospects are good.

One response scheme which seems to be quite popular, is

4 = "transfer to hearts"
4 = "transfer to spades"
4 = "transfer to clubs"
4 = "transfer to diamonds"

where after a 4 response Opener will rebid as follows:

4N = RKC()
5 = Last Train (i.e. some interest)
5 = minimal interest

Playing this, I would respond 4 but sign off in 5 over 5 from partner.

---------

This would be a harder bidding problem at MPs for obvious reasons.

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 07:52

I play the structure outlined above, but for me 4NT shows a positive hand less suitable for a trump contract (and it is NF!) while 5 shows a maximum in context. Usually the 4NT bid denies three aces.
Opener may ignore the (next round) signoff with an absolute maximum, and either side may bid first round controls above 5 when accepting. I've never had an issue with two missing key cards, and I think on an auction with as many jumps as this one key card asking should not be the main priority.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-November-16, 08:49

Interesting how much space is wasted, we bid 2N-3(slam interest one or both minors)-3N-4(single suited diamonds) to show this

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 09:27

It's not wasted, just a choice of system. 3 shows both minors for me. That way opener can freely bid 4m over 3 to set trumps with 3NT signoff, meaning responder can also use the 3 on choice of games hands or when unsure about stoppers in the major suits. In my experience this is a more frequent hand type than a slam try with a long minor.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-November-16, 10:03

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-November-16, 09:27, said:

It's not wasted, just a choice of system. 3 shows both minors for me. That way opener can freely bid 4m over 3 to set trumps with 3NT signoff, meaning responder can also use the 3 on choice of games hands or when unsure about stoppers in the major suits. In my experience this is a more frequent hand type than a slam try with a long minor.

We use it for single suited and both minors hands, we lose the ability to immediately set trumps as 3N is forced

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 10:23

You don't just lose the ability to set trumps, you lose the (much more valuable) ability to stop in 3NT if opener has a major-oriented hand. This also increases the floor on what hands can bid 3 in the first place, since you need to push to 4NT or even 5m even opposite an ill-fitting hand.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-November-16, 11:03

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-November-16, 10:23, said:

You don't just lose the ability to set trumps, you lose the (much more valuable) ability to stop in 3NT if opener has a major-oriented hand. This also increases the floor on what hands can bid 3 in the first place, since you need to push to 4NT or even 5m even opposite an ill-fitting hand.

Yup all hands we put through 3 are strong slam interest anyway

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 12:03

I would have liked to investigate slam but lack decent tools with this partner other than bidding 4, and where that leads is unknown, so I settled for 3NT. I got away with it because the defence have the AK off the top which are both under my queen, so when my RHO led the ace followed by a small one, partner made 12 tricks.

I have heard of using 3 as slam interest in a minor or both minors but I am not familiar with them. I assume this method has another way of finding the best game when responder holds 5/4 which is what I use the 3 response to show.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-November-16, 12:09

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-16, 12:03, said:

I have heard of using 3 as slam interest in a minor or both minors but I am not familiar with them. I assume this method has another way of finding the best game when responder holds 5/4 which is what I use the 3 response to show.

We play 2N-3-3N as 2/2-3 so over the 3 response (which doesn't guarantee a 4 card major) you know you have an 8 card major suit fit and can remove 3N.

#12 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 12:30

We do not have a way to show 5/4. With a 'trumpy' hand, transfer to spades and bid 4, possibly wallowing in the Moysian. With a 'notrumpy' hand, bid 3 and miss out on a potential 5-3 spade fit. There are solutions, of course, but the gains are slight, the auction is rare and we are likely to forget when it comes up, not to mention forgetting the negative implications on all other auctions. Plus, if I am going to play something custom over a 2NT opening to land on our feet more often, I am certainly not starting with a modified treatment for exactly 5/4.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-November-16, 12:39

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-November-16, 12:30, said:

We do not have a way to show 5/4. With a 'trumpy' hand, transfer to spades and bid 4, possibly wallowing in the Moysian. With a 'notrumpy' hand, bid 3 and miss out on a potential 5-3 spade fit. There are solutions, of course, but the gains are slight, the auction is rare and we are likely to forget when it comes up, not to mention forgetting the negative implications on all other auctions. Plus, if I am going to play something custom over a 2NT opening to land on our feet more often, I am certainly not starting with a modified treatment for exactly 5/4.

When Crowhurst wrote the book many years ago, what AL plays was his simple version, what I play is the more advanced one.

#14 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 13:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-November-16, 12:09, said:

We play 2N-3-3N as 2/2-3 so over the 3 response (which doesn't guarantee a 4 card major) you know you have an 8 card major suit fit and can remove 3N.

Thanks for the info, that looks logical to me. To be honest I can't remember the last time I held 5/4 opposite a 20+ balanced hand.

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 16:04

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-16, 12:03, said:

We discussed 2NT - 3 methods more than once in the last few years and FWIW I outlined our own methods which are analogous to our majors "Stayman": 4m indicates a 5+ card suit and 3NT denies, over which 4m shows a 4+ card suit.
In this case it would probably go:
---- p
2N 3
3N 4
4 5
p

If responder held 5/4 of any strength he would have gone through our majors "Stayman" 3.

#16 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 16:20

As a side comment, I violently dislike the reticent explanations "Multi" and "Relay".
"6+ card weak major or 20-21 balanced" and "Pass or correct to 2 if not 20-21 balanced" are more in line with my idea of (and some regulations for) disclosure.

#17 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-16, 16:49

View Postpescetom, on 2022-November-16, 16:20, said:

As a side comment, I violently dislike the reticent explanations "Multi" and "Relay".
"6+ card weak major or 20-21 balanced" and "Pass or correct to 2 if not 20-21 balanced" are more in line with my idea of (and some regulations for) disclosure.

Rest assured I do give full explanation at the table. When adding the extra information into the hand generator I decided to be concise.

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-November-16, 20:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-November-16, 11:03, said:

Yup all hands we put through 3 are strong slam interest anyway

Here’s what I’m playing in one partnership, in response to 2N (opened or bid after 2C):

3S forces 3N, to play or to show either both minors or one minor, strong slam interest

3N (instead of 3S) is passable but shows both minors with mild interest. Opener passes with most hands but can bid 4m to show a hand that may mesh well (few slow values in the majors, at least one 4+ minor, and relatively good controls).

We have other stuff thereafter.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-November-17, 04:09

I'm a 3S slam interest player too, but you would need an above average control count by opener to make a slam given East's hand.
Typically, I would prefer at least 2 keycards/Queen or 3 controls to make the try with this hand which has three 2+ losers suits

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users