P P 1C 1S

3C 3S ?

E's hand: s- Q 10 8 6
h- A 5 4 2
d- A
c- Q J 8 6

E had: h13/d16

Does E overcall the 3S bid by N??

My reasoning: I figured my P for p10-11 (high end of non-opener) and that's what he had (h9 with a length point in diamonds) along w/ c4 in clubs counting the K 7 10. I didn't know all that but I figured PP had ~p26 and that justified a bid at the 4 level to compete w/ opps in clubs. Is this a decision I make here or do I pass and leave any further bidding to my P?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-November-06, 16:05

When you make a post there is a rectangle with a Spades symbol which shows as 'Hand Editor'.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-06, 16:09

3 could be a bit less than 10-11 HCP with shape to compensate, and probably is as if they had a constructive raise they could bid 2. The QT86 is useless on offense but might be worth at least one trick, maybe even two tricks on defence. The East hand to me does not look like it has enough extra to justify bidding on so I would pass.

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-06, 16:27

It's usual with more advanced players that the 3 bid does NOT show 10-11 points. Rather it shows less than 7 or so points with at least 6 clubs, because with a good hand and support for partner's suit, it is vital to prevent the opponents from exchanging information with their bids. With 10+ points and club support, the usual bid is 2 (their suit, which cannot possibly be a natural bid and so has been coopted to this artificial purpose).

With this hand, I would bid 4, not because I think it would make, but because -50 or -100 (for going down 1 or 2) is a better score than -140 (which is the score you get for them making 3).

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-06, 16:39

akwoo, on 2022-November-06, 16:27, said:

It's usual with more advanced players that the 3 bid does NOT show 10-11 points. Rather it shows less than 7 or so points with at least 6 clubs, because with a good hand and support for partner's suit, it is vital to prevent the opponents from exchanging information with their bids. With 10+ points and club support, the usual bid is 2 (their suit, which cannot possibly be a natural bid and so has been coopted to this artificial purpose).

With this hand, I would bid 4, not because I think it would make, but because -50 or -100 (for going down 1 or 2) is a better score than -140 (which is the score you get for them making 3).

You're thinking like an American, it only shows 6+ if the club could be less than 4 cards, for me who plays a 4 card club, it only shows 4, but will usually have 5. No indication where the OP was from or the minimum length, but yes it is often less than 11.

Partner doesn't need a very good hand to make 4 given that he has a max of 1 spade and possibly none.

#6 User is offline   sjn007 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-November-06, 20:58

pescetom, on 2022-November-06, 16:05, said:

When you make a post there is a rectangle with a Spades symbol which shows as 'Hand Editor'.

Thanks!

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-November-07, 00:14

sjn007, on 2022-November-06, 16:00, said:

Is this a decision I make here or do I pass and leave any further bidding to my P?

The comment I can make here is that it is your decision alone. Partner should have made his bid on the last round. Any hesitation now at the table could be seen as UI (Unintended Information) and a director could be called.

The reason I like 4 here is it puts the opps. at a guess: they are unlikely to X and may well go to 4 which will be a difficult contract to bring in, if not impossible. Obviously, bidding 4 depends on how many you guarantee on a opening bid of 1. But as partner has bid 3 not X on his last bid, and it is very probable partner is void in the suit, I would play him for 5+ .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users