9211 progressive

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-November-04, 09:40

I assume everyone will open 1?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-November-04, 10:08

View Postjillybean, on 2022-November-04, 09:40, said:

I assume everyone will open 1?

In one partnership, I open 4C, showing 8.5 tricks in a non solid major. Last week, in a practice session, partner opened 4D, 8.5 tricks in a solid major. I held Axx Qxx KJxxx AKx

I inferred he had 9 hearts….AKJ10xxxx is not ‘no loser’.

I bid 4S, showing the two black aces and values for slam…he bid 5D, I bid 6D and he bid the laydown 7N.

More traditional versions of namyats use 4C for hearts and 4D for spades. The hand is a bit heavy for this, but it ensures that we reach game and makes it more challenging for the opps, who may have shape of their own.

The other alternative is to pass. I might well have chosen that many years ago. It’s highly unlikely that the deal will be passed out, and I may be able to get doubled at some point. However, that technique doesn’t work much these days, and it would be embarrassing to see the deal passed out.

If I didn’t have a form of namyats, 1S it is.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-November-04, 10:40

I would open as 4 with my Namyats partner, 2 then 3 with others.
Both impose spades as trumps and request showing controls and keycard parity, which is all we need here.
2 is a bit more vulnerable to interference than 1 which already shows suit, but I think that is manageable here (it would be a harder decision if the opponents had the spades).

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2022-November-04, 12:12

How many years ago would you have passed with this hand?
Again, unfortunately you don't play namyats or have an agreement to start cue bidding after 2 2x 3

1 (P) P (2)
4 (5) P (P)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-November-04, 13:02

I would pass now there’s every chance opponents have slam on
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-November-04, 13:25

View Postjillybean, on 2022-November-04, 12:12, said:

How many years ago would you have passed with this hand?
Again, unfortunately you don't play namyats or have an agreement to start cue bidding after 2 2x 3

1 (P) P (2)
4 (5) P (P)

I find it hard to believe that partner could not double 5 here if you're prepared to settle for that.
Would not have bid 4 in the first place.

#7 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-04, 16:06

I like the auction shown, but am not sure what to do here. On the one hand we will probably take at least 9 tricks in spades (ace of heart and eight trumps, losing only the king), and partner is broke so 5 rates to have chances. On the other hand we might not set their 6-level contract (LHO is likely to be void in spades to start bidding now), and we don't even know their contract is making.
At any rate I don't expect partner to contribute two tricks, so it is probably not a double game swing. I'll go low and pass.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2022-November-05, 10:56

My perhaps not so smart thinking was, this is BBO, the opps have little chance of landing in the right contract at this level, -1 may be ok.
Lead A 2 6 7
K
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users