• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm a sucker

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-03, 06:44

Fell victim to a dog walker yesterday evening (they were playing Acol hence the 6-9HCP 1NT response):

Just made. Only a three table movement and the contract and result was repeated at one of the other tables. At the other table North was allowed to play in 2.

This sums up why bridge sucks at times. In a session where partner and I defended 12 out of the first 15 hands, I pick up a 22 count and have to defend a making four level contract on which someone else was allowed to declare in my seat at the two level.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-03, 08:18

Dog walkers can be really nasty beasts. You have my sympathy.

Probably 3 doubles were enough, though. But it's always easy to be clever when seeing all four hands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-November-03, 10:25

You don’t have a 22 count. What about this auction says that your diamond king is worth anything at all? AQxx AKx x AKQxx is a 22 count

The other day I held a balanced 21 and after 1D on my right, I doubled. LHO bid 1S (my AQ10x suit) and rho bid 2C. I passed with my 4333 hand. Partner actually had a great hand…he held a Jack 😃

Sometimes the auction tells you that what started as a good hand has turned to crap. You have to learn to recognize that.

I’d not have doubled 3D…this hand would not play well in a 4-3 heart fit. I’d want 4=4 majors or at a pinch3=4 because partner will bid 3H with 4=4. I’d never double 4D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-November-03, 12:55

helene_t and mikeh are right - as always. All I can add, AL78 is that you are engrossed with your 'nice' hand, (which is not so nice with a stiff K) you are not listening to partner. Think about it further...

...you have a 22 count, opener has probably 11 minimum, opener's partner has at least 6 HCPs, so what can your partner have?

Yes, I agree there are hands where 4/4 will make, but once you hear the 4 bid from East, it is time to shut up.

What sort of dog did the player own? Chihuahua? They are nasty little brats similar, on this occasion, to their owner it seems :)

#5 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-03, 14:51

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-03, 06:44, said:

Fell victim to a dog walker yesterday evening (they were playing Acol hence the 6-9HCP 1NT response):

Just made. Only a three table movement and the contract and result was repeated at one of the other tables. At the other table North was allowed to play in 2.

This sums up why bridge sucks at times. In a session where partner and I defended 12 out of the first 15 hands, I pick up a 22 count and have to defend a making four level contract on which someone else was allowed to declare in my seat at the two level.

Partner's pass over 2 denies 7+ hcp outside diamonds unless they have no 4+ major or 5+ clubs.

Partner's pass over 3 denies 4+ outside diamonds unless they have no 4+ major or 5+ clubs.

Doubler must rely on advancer to do all the overbidding for the partnership.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-03, 16:03

Possibly, South should have bid 4 after the final double. But, again, it is easy when seeing all four hands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-03, 16:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-November-03, 16:03, said:

Possibly, South should have bid 4 after the final double. But, again, it is easy when seeing all four hands.

I think scratch the possibly, looks like the doubler could easily have no diamonds and 4 hearts on this auction, make the K the heart king in his hand and he also bids like this.

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-03, 19:03

I'm not so fond of South passing 4, much less 4X.

But I also don't double 4. 4 of a minor is a bad scoring spot. On general principle, if opps want to play in 4 of a minor at matchpoints, you should tend to let them.

#9 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-03, 22:32

I'm confused by the bidding. Well over my head

#10 User is offline   ali quarg 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-04, 03:53

North has 8.5 playing tricks and 3.5/4 losers so perhaps equivalent to a 22 count
Is there an alternative bid to X that describes this hand?
2NT as in the overcall structure is the closest, I can think of, but is it on in 4th seat after 2 bids with partner passing?
This may not prevent EW from winning the contract and could push them to 5, but perhaps it could encourage South to be more competitive.

Is Pass over 2 standard as I would tend to compete with a weak 5 card Major even at this vulnerability?

#11 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-November-04, 07:23

View Postali quarg, on 2022-November-04, 03:53, said:

North has 8.5 playing tricks and 3.5/4 losers so perhaps equivalent to a 22 count
Is there an alternative bid to X that describes this hand?
2NT as in the overcall structure is the closest, I can think of, but is it on in 4th seat after 2 bids with partner passing?
This may not prevent EW from winning the contract and could push them to 5, but perhaps it could encourage South to be more competitive.

Is Pass over 2 standard as I would tend to compete with a weak 5 card Major even at this vulnerability?

I think I'd have passed over 2, but then bid 3 over 3. Partner's second double is a pretty clear wake-up call. Don't know about what I'd do over 4 though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users