BBO Discussion Forums: Any chance of anything more fun than 3NT please - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any chance of anything more fun than 3NT please

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-20, 00:45

What do I have to do. What did I do wrong etc?

Various other Bridgeb software managed to get to any maner of slam options (even using a version of 2/1).
Through the bidding table I managed to get to 6NT North only by opening with 1 heart which is what I had considered, and when we reached 3NT I was looking desperately for a bid to keep things going. I considered 4 spades (and being left there), 4 hearts (and being left there) or a questionnable 4NT etc. One table managed to get to 6NT south by just bidding it. I even considered a very quesionnable weak 2H opener but thought I was too strong (and off shape) for that etc. I thought about bidding 4 clubs and trying to force. Anything. But you know the amazing thing. When I tested this hand in various other bridge software (and a range of bidding systems), I didn't need to worry about my bidding as South. North kind of took control :)

I know maybe you need to think some plays depends on a drop and not a finesse but come on. WHere's the risk, the danger, the excitement, the risk of going down 1 instead of a glorious slam or slam+1 :)

EDIT I finally found it. A jump shift in hearts by me gets GiB to jump straight to 6 diamonds :) I should have known that was what I had to do. Its as if the world has been taken over by dungeons and dragons nerds. Oh you needed to pick up that cloak and go through the middle door and kiss the mermaid and kill the right dragon, before choosing which bridge to walk over,, which of a several goblets to drink and pick up, and if you didn't actually start on the right place on step 1 you were done for - those kind of people :)

Or maybe its based on dating, business or pyschology and once you stuffed up your first few seconds and first impressions there is no chance :)

Its either your first move or your first response. If its not perfect you are dead :)

And even if its your partner with the knowledge and resources for the best contract, its still up to you :)

But of course if you are all razzle dazzle, over confident, impress and have some fun but go down one trick - well you just have to live with that and move on :)

Oh of course I forgot. Maybe the whole thing is trying to teach people to just be boring, conformist and conservative :(

#2 User is offline   trolley813 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-20, 04:20

Since the 3NT bid promised 21 HCP, and you have 10, why not launch Gerber with 4? Despite 31 HCP is in theory somewhat low for a slam, but you still able to sign-off at 5NT if something goes wrong.

P.S. However, playing at notrump is a bit risky due to weak spades.

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-20, 16:35

View Posttrolley813, on 2020-October-20, 04:20, said:

Since the 3NT bid promised 21 HCP, and you have 10, why not launch Gerber with 4? Despite 31 HCP is in theory somewhat low for a slam, but you still able to sign-off at 5NT if something goes wrong.

P.S. However, playing at notrump is a bit risky due to weak spades.

I don't think Gerber was available after the 3NT. Sadly, I always forget it exists anyway, and was considering a club bit as a natural way to try to force things. Who knows I could have been left in 4 clubs

#4 User is offline   trolley813 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-23, 10:17

View Postthepossum, on 2020-October-20, 16:35, said:

I don't think Gerber was available after the 3NT. Sadly, I always forget it exists anyway, and was considering a club bit as a natural way to try to force things. Who knows I could have been left in 4 clubs

As well as I can see, 6 is makable even with a 4-3 trump fit (in this particular E-W layout). All you need is to win the first trick, then draw all trumps (crashing the J and Q in one trick) and you're home (7 diamond tricks, 3 clubs, 1 spade and 1 heart - even on spade lead, if E-W continue spades after winning the trump trick, you can ruff due to your A being singleton).

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-23, 10:57

ThePossum' What do I have to do. What did I do wrong etc? Various other Bridgeb software managed to get to any manner of slam options (even using a version of 2/1). Through the bidding table I managed to get to 6NT North only by opening with 1 heart which is what I had considered, and when we reached 3NT I was looking desperately for a bid to keep things going. I considered 4 spades (and being left there), 4 hearts (and being left there) or a questionable 4NT etc. One table managed to get to 6NT south by just bidding it. I even considered a very questionable weak 2H opener but thought I was too strong (and off shape) for that etc. I thought about bidding 4 clubs and trying to force. Anything. But you know the amazing thing. When I tested this hand in various other bridge software (and a range of bidding systems), I didn't need to worry about my bidding as South. North kind of took control. I know maybe you need to think some plays depends on a drop and not a finesse but come on. WHere's the risk, the danger, the excitement, the risk of going down 1 instead of a glorious slam or slam+1 EDIT I finally found it. A jump shift in hearts by me gets GiB to jump straight to 6 diamonds I should have known that was what I had to do. Its as if the world has been taken over by dungeons and dragons nerds. Oh you needed to pick up that cloak and go through the middle door and kiss the mermaid and kill the right dragon, before choosing which bridge to walk over, which of a several goblets to drink and pick up, and if you didn't actually start on the right place on step 1 you were done for - those kind of people. Or maybe its based on dating, business or psychology and once you stuffed up your first few seconds and first impressions there is no chance. Its either your first move or your first response. I f its not perfect you are dead. And even if its your partner with the knowledge and resources for the best contract, its still up to you But of course if you are all razzle dazzle, over confident, impress and have some fun but go down one trick - well you just have to live with that and move on Oh of course I forgot. Maybe the whole thing is trying to teach people to just be boring, conformist and conservative

GIB and thePossum seem to be an effective bidding partnership. The deal is a misfit. 3N seems a reasonable contract. Although on a pointy suit lead, declarer can make thirteen tricks ...

In this 6-card ending North's last forces West to discard a . Now, South's top s squeeze East in the black suits :)

GIB points out that, even with the lucky layout, the lead of a or the J, breaks up the non-simultaneous double-squeeze; and holds him to 12 tricks :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users