Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO on Airplane Wifi Can't connect to BBO through airplane WIFI

#1 User is offline   touchtone 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-December-18, 21:27

I fly regularly on several different airlines. Nowadays, most of the flights have a terrestrial internet connection through onboard Wifi.

I can only occasionally connect to BBO, on the vast majority of flights, I'm unable to use BBO.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop with Chrome browser. When I navigate to the BBO website, I get he normal sequence up to the password screen.

When I select "login", the system goes into the connecting status page (with the traveling ball status bar) but then it eventually seems to timeout with a pop-up message of "Connection Lost".

I have also tried editing the URL to convert from https://.... to http://....,Port=80 (which I read somewhere helps work around firewall issues). But I get the same result.

Does anybody have any idea how I can fix this?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-December-19, 09:52

If you use port=80, make sure it's a small "p", not uppercase "P".

But that still might not work depending on the type of firewall they run. When we use port 80, we're still using our proprietary protocol, not HTTP; if it's an application-level proxy instead of a transparent proxy, it won't understand our data.

Try using the HTML preview instead of the Flash client. I've mostly had good luck with that, it connects even when the mobile app doesn't.

#3 User is offline   touchtone 

• Pip

Posted 2019-January-10, 12:50

The small "p" thing didn't do it. :(

I just tried the HTML version 5.1.1 from a SouthWest flight (my most frequent) and it fails also. I get the login prompt screen. But when I fill in my username/password and clock on login, I get the "Connection, Please Wait..." dialog which is quickly replaced by an error message: "Error - make sure you are connected to the Internet before you try to log in.". Needless to say, I can access lots of other HTML/HTTP and HTTPS sites.

Any other ideas?

BTW, if you're accepting comments on the new version my main comment is to please bring back the "Grid" for displaying pending tournaments. The text-based version in the HTML and the mobile apps is much harder to use than the grid style in the current web interface.

#4 User is offline   cnn1 

• Pip

Posted 2019-March-26, 16:38

I used to play bridge every delta flight that had WiFi; now bbo no longer works in the same way described in the first message. Everything else works normally. Disappointing!

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-March-26, 21:42

The new HTML version should do better at getting around problems on airplane and hotel WiFi services.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users