BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#10841 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-24, 07:38

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-August-23, 19:37, said:

Wyatt Trump vs. the Clinton gang .... will history repeat itself?

I am now really worried. A couple of years ago Becky spent several days at a "summer yoga camp". After reading your post I am certain that she really was at a secret C.I.A. training camp where she learned to indoctrinate me and others with anti-Trump propaganda. Oh, duped again.
Ken

#10842 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-August-24, 08:02

View Postkenberg, on 2018-August-24, 07:38, said:

I am now really worried. A couple of years ago Becky spent several days at a "summer yoga camp". After reading your post I am certain that she really was at a secret C.I.A. training camp where she learned to indoctrinate me and others with anti-Trump propaganda. Oh, duped again.

I heard they were selling South African time shares and pizza parlor stock. B-)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10843 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-24, 09:11

What kind of "Don" is in the White House?

From WaPo:

“Dean famously testified about Nixon’s obstruction of justice,” Jonathan Chait adds in New York Magazine. “Nobody claims Dean lied about Nixon. The sin in Trump’s eyes is that he flipped, violating the omerta. Trump even uses Mafia lingo, ‘rat,’ to describe Dean’s cooperation with law enforcement [in a Sunday tweet]. … It is obviously quite rare to hear a high-ranking elected official openly embrace the terminology and moral logic of La Cosa Nostra. But Trump is not just a guy who has seen a lot of mob movies. He has worked closely with Mafia figures throughout his business career.

“Like a mobster, Trump takes an extremely cynical view of almost every moral principle in public life, assuming that everybody in politics is corrupt and hypocritical,” Chait observes. “Since the greatest threat to a mafia don’s business is that subordinates will betray him, he typically surrounds himself with family members, even if they are not the smartest or best criminals. Trump has accordingly surrounded himself with his children, or demonstrated loyalists who would have trouble finding remotely comparable jobs at another business.”

-- Trump’s view of loyalty is a key factor driving his anger toward Sessions, who was the first senator to endorse his campaign in 2016. “Mr. President,” Earhardt said on Fox, “a lot of your supporters are frustrated with the DOJ [and] with Jeff Sessions. There are rumors that you're going to fire him after the midterms …” Without directly answering, the president said: “You know, the only reason I gave him the job is because I felt loyalty.”

I guess the best you can say about Dennison is that he's a "stand up guy". <_<
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10844 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-24, 09:15

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-August-21, 20:09, said:

I am curious if we'll see headlines of the FBI raiding Allen Weisselberg soon. Seems like an interesting next step. Cohen might have some interesting information for us, but I think we all understand that following the money is the thing that will solve this case, minus a smoking gun (or constitutional crisis that derails everything).

I was close, I suppose.
OK
bed

#10845 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-24, 13:46

View Postkenberg, on 2018-August-24, 07:38, said:

Hardly, just demonstrating that both sides are corrupt, self-interested power-cravers that hide behind various shields. Choosing the lesser of evils commits one to that evil. Accepting neither forces us to, eventually, propose alternatives. As long as one side "wins", we all lose.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10846 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-24, 14:00

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-August-24, 09:15, said:

I was close, I suppose.

Most likely, this is the biggest news thus far in the investigation into Dennison's dealings with Cohen and Pecker: Huffington Post reports:

Allen Weisselberg, the chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, has been granted immunity in federal prosecutors’ investigation into President Donald Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen, The Wall Street Journal and other news outlets reported Friday.

#10847 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-August-24, 15:00

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-24, 14:00, said:

Most likely, this is the biggest news thus far in the investigation into Dennison's dealings with Cohen and Pecker: Huffington Post reports:

"Selective" prosecution (the CFO cuts the same corners as the rest, all of whom never expect to be prosecuted etc.)presents the habitual white-collar criminal with the alternative of betraying confidences or spending years in jail with a felony record after. Should they get piled on (multiple instances to be served in toto) perhaps their memory gets "selective" relative to what the stick vs. carrot looks like. A pretty sad lot overall.

#10848 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-24, 15:38

You can always count on someone in the WC trying to sell Dennison's spin. <_<

#10849 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-August-24, 15:59

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-24, 15:38, said:

You can always count on someone in the WC trying to sell Dennison's spin. <_<

You can't see the spin if your eyes are closed.

#10850 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-24, 17:17

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-23, 21:27, said:

The above is to con the uninformed and naive - like something Russia would provide Facebook trolls.

So all of it is untrue? It doesn't really affect my life one way or the other. I'm just curious.

#10851 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-24, 18:44

View PostChas_P, on 2018-August-24, 17:17, said:

So all of it is untrue? It doesn't really affect my life one way or the other. I'm just curious.

But not curious enough to find out for yourself. Did you also notice that the original post did not offer a source link? Hard to pin down Qanon. :o

#10852 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-24, 19:13

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-24, 18:44, said:

But not curious enough to find out for yourself. Did you also notice that the original post did not offer a source link? Hard to pin down Qanon. :o

Well I have read in several places that Bill got $500K for one speech in Moscow and that the Clinton Foundation got $140M after the Uranium One deal. Is that not true? Then there's this. You said it was all for the naive and misinformed. Please inform me.

#10853 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-24, 19:55

View PostChas_P, on 2018-August-24, 19:13, said:

Well I have read in several places that Bill got $500K for one speech in Moscow and that the Clinton Foundation got $140M after the Uranium One deal. Is that not true? Then there's this. You said it was all for the naive and misinformed. Please inform me.

No. Find out for yourself how gullible you are - that is the only way it will benefit you.

Let's also get another two or three things straight - your whataboutism doesn't play to people more knowledgeable about such sideshows. You're trying to sell snakeoil to a room full of physicians, Q is a figment of someone's imagination, and anyone who reads sites like the greatawakening is hopelessly sad!

#10854 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-25, 01:07

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-August-22, 06:09, said:

From my perspective, there is actually a shadow impeachment already in progress.

The big money contributors on the far right + Rupert Murdoch are constantly evaluating whether or not Trump has started doing more harm than good.
At that point in time, they'll turn on Trump, the Republicans in congress will see the writhing on the wall, we'll be rid of this idiots, and some new idiot will wander in to 1600 Pennsylvania avenue and mindless sign tax cut legislation.

I was, and still, skeptical about this.
On the oter hand - Pecker and Weisselberg cooperating, and AMI cooperating like this: https://edition.cnn....-ami/index.html - maybe Richard is right.
Still, given Trump's popularity among Republicans would make it impossible to dump him without causing a civil war within the party.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10855 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-August-25, 06:14

View Postcherdano, on 2018-August-25, 01:07, said:

Still, given Trump's popularity among Republicans would make it impossible to dump him without causing a civil war within the party.

I'm not so sure. From what I can tell, the only things that Republicans really stand for is being assholes.

Under Trump they've reversed their position on too many key principles (free trade, National Defense, Russia)

But some boviating idiot on Fox 24/7 and they'll all come around
Alderaan delenda est

#10856 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-25, 07:25

View PostChas_P, on 2018-August-24, 19:13, said:

I'll come at this from my own perspective.

Clinton years, a few memories: I was stunned by Madeleine Albright's announcement that she believed Clinton's denial about Monica Lewinsky. I have always thought the complaint from Paula Jones had merit. I thought the pardon of Mark Rich smelled very bad. There were several other things like that.
However. While I have not search through all of my past comments I am still confident that I never claimed that the Starr investigation of Clinton was a witch hunt by Republican dogs. I didn't say that Starr should stop investigating Clinton and instead start investigating George Bush or Ronald Reagan, where the "real crime is". I didn't bring up Ken Starr's wife, for that matter I never gave any thought to whether he was married.

It's an old tactic. As the clouds gathered around Nixon, his supporters wanted to talk about what LBJ did or maybe did. Investigate LBJ. Investigate Truman. Remember the Teapot Dome. Do anything else but don't look at Nixon. Or Haldeman. Or Ehrlichman. And as one of RN's supporters put it as the investigation was closing in "Just because Herdleman and Erdleman were up to no good that's no reason to go after our number one guy". Haldeman? Haldeman who?

It's always been that way. Probably Al Capone would ask why the G-men were not putting their efforts into John Dillinger. And surely Capone was not the only person to cheat on his taxes. A witch hunt no doubt.

Mueller is conducting an investigation focused on Trump and his crew..Mueller appears to be doing a fine job and a fair job. The usual response to such scrutiny is diversion. We should resist diversion. I'm fine with not jumping to conclusions, I can be patient. We need to support Mueller's work. Trump is not the only scuzzball in politics, true enough, but Trump and friends are the scuzzballs that Mueller is looking at, and we need to stay focused.
Ken

#10857 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-August-25, 11:19

View Postkenberg, on 2018-August-25, 07:25, said:

Mueller is conducting an investigation focused on Trump and his crew..Mueller appears to be doing a fine job and a fair job. The usual response to such scrutiny is diversion. We should resist diversion. I'm fine with not jumping to conclusions, I can be patient. We need to support Mueller's work. Trump is not the only scuzzball in politics, true enough, but Trump and friends are the scuzzballs that Mueller is looking at, and we need to stay focused.

Exactly. Folks who worry that Mueller might conduct a "witch hunt" should read up a bit on his record after his discharge from the Marine Corp: What Will Mueller Do? The Answer Might Lie in a By-the-Book Past. Then consider the records of his critics.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#10858 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-25, 11:28

I'm not sure how we will ever get the smell out.

WaPo, but many other sources, as well:

President Trump posed for a photo in the Oval Office this week with one of the most prominent promoters of the “QAnon” conspiracy group, who later posted a video commemorating the visit.

Michael Lebron, a New York-based attorney and radio host who goes by the name “Lionel,” shared the photo on Friday morning, with an accompanying video that showed him poring through a White House “swag bag.”

Lebron has grown his online following by sharing speculation about QAnon conspiracy theory. In the social media post Friday, he assured his fans that the president “knows about” the theory.

Leave it to Dennison to appeal to the crazies.

#10859 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-August-25, 13:53

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-25, 11:28, said:

I'm not sure how we will ever get the smell out.

WaPo, but many other sources, as well:

Leave it to Dennison to appeal to the crazies.

So, he appeals to crazies, alt-rights, deplorables, suckers, racists, and the un-educated "masses" etc. Almost half of the US population? Perhaps Trump is the least of your problems?

#10860 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-25, 14:49

alucard, when you hand-wave terms like alt-right and racists, have you actually spent any time reading and absorbing the things discussed on places like t_d, 4chan, qanon, incels, redpill, etc where these people gather? This is a serious question. What is your opinion of them?
OK
bed

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

47 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google