Posted 2014-June-13, 07:47

The auction, opponents don't interfere,:

1NT - 3
3NT - 4NT
5NT

1NT = 16-18 HCP, balanced
3= puppet Stayman
3NT = no 4 or 5-card major
4NT = quantitative (no ace asking bid!), invites to bid 6NT with a maximum.
5NT?

How do You interprete 5NT, what is this bid asking for, what should be it's message?

Thx

Jan

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-13, 09:03

For most it probably means "I don't know, what do you think?" I am not fond of that - how fine do you want to cut your lilly? - but there is at least one forum regular who does play it that way. It is also relevant what the suit rsponses from Opener would have been. If 5m would have shown 5 then 5NT is obviously looking for a 4-4 minor fit. That might also be the meaning in a pick-up partnership where Opener is scared that a 5m bid would be interpreted as showing aces. If 5m is only 4+ then 5NT makes little sense since the 5 can be shown by bidding 5m followed by 6m. Another meaning that could be considered is 5-4, since that is otherwise potentially awkward. But most pairs would not be opening that hand 1NT in the first place.

In any case, it is either a blame transfer or looking for a fit in a minor and without knowing more of what has been discussed we are not going to know more. As a practical matter I am going to bid a 4 card minor here if I have one regardless of the hand held. Without a 4 card minor it is a little trickier as we are probably lacking either values or a trick source for the slam.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-June-13, 19:42

This is classic "Oh ***** 5NT. " It is a call of 5NT that says, "I don't know what is going on, and I will make no more calls. You pick the contract. "

This is the most important convention you can ever add.

here, it suggests uncertainty as to whether 4NT is quantitative, RKCB for Openers suit, or RKCB for Responder suit.

Obviously.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-June-13, 20:05

Four notrump is quantitative. Openers choice are to pass with a minimum or bid slam with a maximum. The general rule for opener if he is going to bid the slam, is to either bid it directly in notrump, or to show a four card suit at the five level or a five card suit at the six level. The partnership then bids "biddable" suits up the line in search for a fit.

Generally with 4333 shape, I would not look for a suit fit. Five notrump as a re-invite is not good idea (I know people with 15 pass 4NT. with 17 bid 6NT and with 16 re-invite. Opener with 16 should look for plus or minus features (10's and 9's, a five card suit, control rich, whatever) and make his a decision as requested by his partner.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 01:53

View Postinquiry, on 2014-June-13, 20:05, said:

Four notrump is quantitative. Openers choice are to pass with a minimum or bid slam with a maximum. The general rule for open if he is going to bid the slam, is to either bid it directly in notrump, or to show a four card suit at the five level or a five card suit at the six level. The partnership then bids "biddable" suits up the line in search for a fit.

I have usually played standard Blackwood responses to Quant 4N when max, "just in case", and pass with min.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 09:26

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-June-13, 19:42, said:

This is classic "Oh ***** 5NT. " It is a call of 5NT that says, "I don't know what is going on, and I will make no more calls. You pick the contract. "

here, it suggests uncertainty as to whether 4NT is quantitative, RKCB for Openers suit, or RKCB for Responder suit.

Obviously.

If that's what it means, responder better not start bidding four card suits "up the line".

BTW, "****" only has four "*". :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-14, 11:49

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-June-13, 19:42, said:

Obviously.

+1

lol

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users