BBO Discussion Forums: What would you have done? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you have done?

Poll: What would you have done? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

When would you bid Diamonds?

1. 4D over 3NT is clearly slammish in D expecting Jxxx (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3D over 2H (intending to bid 4C over 3NT or 3H) (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. 2D over 1H (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. North should have bid 2D instead of 2H (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. North should have bid 3D instead of 3NT (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

6. Something else (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-23, 13:26

Playing 2/1 as South... the only good slam is the one suit we did not bid.

It's a given on this acution that North's Diamonds are at least Jxxx, right?

If South had bid 4 over 3NT would your partnership be 100% that this was natural and slamming in Diamonds? Will partner look at Jxxx and know that's what I am meaning - in his mind he could just as easily have QJx?

I didn't feel 4D was clear... we do play kickback though we have not discussed 4 on this particular auction - it doesn't make sense as kickback. 4D would have surely been RKC over any 4C bid...

How would you get there?
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-23, 13:38

Is north allowed to rebid 2d over 1s? I don't view that north hand as a dead minimum opening bid...in fact I would say it is a decent opener. 2d would tell partner 9 of my cards..2h told partner about 6 of them.

Is north allowed to rebid 3d over 3c?

#3 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 13:58

I'd rebid 2D at my first opportunity with N.

I'd bid 2C at my first opportunity with S.

I have to say I still don't know how my auction would go, but that's how it'd start.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:19

I don't mind north bidding 2 over 1 but 3nt instead of 3 is a serious error with a hand that could well belong in spades or hearts, crappy diamonds and a suit oriented hand. Let alone the diamond slam.

4 is forcing as I don't know anyone who pulls 3nt to play a partscore but north can't have that hand.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:23

The auction should start:

1 - 2 - 2

after which getting to slam is easy. Bidding 2 with the south hand is a lot better because it sets up the immediate game force. Even if north rebids 2 over 1 (which I would), forcing to game now will be awkward (basically you have to bid 3, which doesn't even set the suit). This also avoids a possibly-awkward 2 raise on three-card support from north (which is often good but we don't really want to hear on this hand).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:31

1 response does not deny a game force in my book. To those who advocate 2, I ask, with GF values and 4+ and a second suit, what rules determine whether (if ever) you respond 1?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is online   awm 

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:40

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-December-23, 14:31, said:

1 response does not deny a game force in my book. To those who advocate 2, I ask, with GF values and 4+ and a second suit, what rules determine whether (if ever) you respond 1?

With five spades I respond 1 (exception for 5-6m). With four spades and a game-force I tend to respond 2m, although there are exceptions if the spades are really strong and the minor really weak, or if I don't have a four-card minor.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:54

I agree with the initial 2 rebid but over 3 North should rebid 3 to show his shapely hand and then it's easy.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 17:50

H-H-D, IMO, is fine for North. H-D-H is ok without more strength, but I wouldn't do it with a JXXX suit. The problem was North's 3NT bid; he doesn't know where South wants to go, but he shouldn't be showing 1-6-3-3 with a Diamond stopper when he has 2-6-4-1 without a Diamond stopper.

South's sequence thru 3C allowed for 4-4 fits in either minor, avoided a 4-3 fit, and was correct, IMO.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-December-23, 18:46

Interesting that on this very common, basic deal you get players that prefer to rebid 2h..some prefer to rebid 2d and some prefer to respond with 2c rather than 1s. All assuming we play some common version of 2/1. :)

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-23, 18:54

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-December-23, 14:31, said:

Experienced players learnt this over the years that when responder has 4 and a strong hand, especially very strong hand like in this case, starting 1 creates a huge problem.

1--1

rebids by opener will screw up ***** loads of space for responder. Because now responder can not raise diamonds simply, it would be NF. Regardless of responder found a fit or not, he will now have to make a 3 level forcing call, it doesn't even have to be natural. He will end up A-not being able to show dia fit and settle in 3 NT B-He will try to show and leave the 3NT heaven behind. Opener will often focus on spade suit, thinking that pd may hold 5 or more spades. It will be very hard to effectively manage the auction.

With that type of hands if you start 2/1 response, you do not need any of these, having already made a GF bid, you will be able to just bid w/o worrying about forcing non-forcing bids, without having to go to 3 level and make artificial bids. So in theory you are right that 1 response looks perfectly fine, but in practice it usually creates huge problems. OP is just one of those examples that happens everyday.

Having said that, in the OP auction, N should have bid 3. It is still the N, who was in fault, regardless of his pd could have made it easy for him or not.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-23, 19:14

The auction should start 1H 1S 2D. I am always amused at those who think a 1H 1S start makes the auction difficult. Perhaps it does if you cannot bid properly. I don't mind bidding 2C on a balanced hand, and frequently do, but it does deny 4S for me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-December-23, 20:44

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-23, 19:14, said:

The auction should start 1H 1S 2D. I am always amused at those who think a 1H 1S start makes the auction difficult. Perhaps it does if you cannot bid properly. I don't mind bidding 2C on a balanced hand, and frequently do, but it does deny 4S for me.

That is a bit harsh, even though I agree with the concept. Would have worded it differently, however...that 1H-1S is sometimes a problem start, which proper continuation agreements can easily overcome without resorting (distorting?) to a 2/1 with 4-4 in the minor and spades.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-December-23, 23:38

I will go out on a limb and say both 1s or 2c may lead to problems......just which one will work out more often. We cannot even agree to rebid 2h or 2d?

It comes back to north will north bid 2d or 2h ...or 3d over 3c or 3nt? How about over 2nt by responder? Will north still just rebid 3nt?

1h=2c
2h=2nt?
3nt?

who knows?

for that reason I still prefer north rebid 2d...with what I call a "decent" opener

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-23, 23:57

I don't understand the 3NT rebid after 3. Given that things didn't go differently earlier, what's wrong with denying three spades, while showing the 6-4 in the reds? Is Jxxx such a hot stopper anyway?

#16 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-December-24, 04:09

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-December-23, 20:44, said:

That is a bit harsh, even though I agree with the concept. Would have worded it differently, however...that 1H-1S is sometimes a problem start, which proper continuation agreements can easily overcome without resorting (distorting?) to a 2/1 with 4-4 in the minor and spades.

Perhaps it was a bit harsh, but I get cross when I read comments like "Experienced players learnt this over the years...." An insulting and erroneous comment to say the least.

Lets analyse this a bit. Lets say the bidding goes
1H 2C
Now for many of us a 2S bid would show extra values, so you are forced to rebid 2H with a 45xx. (Ok some would bid 2S, but as you know this leads to other problems of showing values. Also responer has not shown a genuine C suit so opener will have some difficulties evaluation lower C hons)
1H 2C
2H
Now responder with the bal hand is forced to bid 2NT. Don't tll me the responder can bid 2S, Ifyou claim that a 2S bid is possible, you are suggesting you would bid the same way with long Cs and 4S.
So, worst case, how do you you distinguish between 4xx6 or 4xx5 or 4225? Are you, (not you AGH), suggestion that it is good bidding to treat these hands the same way?

A few weeks ago I posed this conundrum on Bride Winners. Nearly all respondents claimed that with the balanced hand, resp was forced to bid 2NT to show the balanced hand type. So now you have this sequence:
1H 2C
2H 2N
3S.
This is the first time that this pair will find a S fit with 45xx opposite 4xx4.
Contrast his with
1H 1S
2S
granted, at this stage you do not know if it is a 4-4 fit but you bid 2N to get clarification and shape showing. What's the problem?

I said before that a 2C bid on a bal hand without 4S is almost certainly the best start, but to say that the 1H 1S sequence is a problem one is silly to say the least
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-24, 04:14

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-23, 19:14, said:

LOL

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-24, 04:09, said:

Perhaps it was a bit harsh, but I get cross when I read comments like "Experienced players learnt this over the years...." An insulting and erroneous comment to say the least.

Lets analyse this a bit. Lets say the bidding goes
1H 2C
Now for many of us a 2S bid would show extra values, so you are forced to rebid 2H with a 45xx. (Ok some would bid 2S, but as you know this leads to other problems of showing values. Also responer has not shown a genuine C suit so opener will have some difficulties evaluation lower C hons)
1H 2C
2H
Now responder with the bal hand is forced to bid 2NT. Don't tll me the responder can bid 2S, Ifyou claim that a 2S bid is possible, you are suggesting you would bid the same way with long Cs and 4S.
So, worst case, how do you you distinguish between 4xx6 or 4xx5 or 4225? Are you, (not you AGH), suggestion that it is good bidding to treat these hands the same way?

Afew weeks ago I posed thus conundrum on Bride Winners. Near;y all respondents claimed that with the balanced hand, resp was forced to bid 2NT. So now you have this sequence:
1H 2C
2H 2N
3S.
This is the first time that this pair will find a S fit with 45xx opposite 4xx4.
Contrast his with
1H 1S
2S
granted, at this stage you do not know if it is a 4-4 fit but you bid 2N to get clarification and shape showing. What's the problem?

I said before that a 2C bid on a bal hand without 4S is almost certainly the best start, but to say that the 1H 1S sequence is a problem one is silly to say the least

I see you screwed yourself up in the *** with the methods you have chosen. Yes, you obviously disabled yourself from playing this very easy solution i suggested. But why do i even argue with someone who says 1 --2 denies 4 card spades, i am still laughing Posted Image

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-December-24, 04:22

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-24, 04:14, said:

LOL

I see you screwed yourself up in the *** with the methods you have chosen. Yes, you obviously disabled yourself from playing this very easy solution i suggested. But why do i even argue with someone who says 1 --2 denies 4 card spades, i am still laughing Posted Image

Well I lol at your typically arrogant and ignorant response. By the way, how have I "screwed yourself up in the ***" What errant nonsense and pusillanimous rubbish.

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-December-24, 04:25

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-24, 04:09, said:

You get cross when someone makes a post implying that their way of bidding is clearly the best one, and that other approaches are inferior?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-24, 04:37

View Postcherdano, on 2013-December-24, 04:25, said:

You get cross when someone makes a post implying that their way of bidding is clearly the best one, and that other approaches are inferior?

Good one ! Posted Image

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users