Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive leading problem 2 of 2

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-November-03, 06:12

J73
Q6542

You're on lead to the following auction.

1NT 2S 3H P
P 3S 4S P
6H P 7H P
P X all pass.

Partner wasn't looking too happy after 6H after he'd balanced but appears happier now. However, he'll soon be miserable if you lead the wrong suit. What'll it be?

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-03, 06:25

Low diamond. Partner is not ruffing, so I cash his ace. Declarer has a lot of shape, and if his second suit is clubs, pards putative club ace will not go walkies, but the diamond ace may.

Conversely, leading the short suit is better when it is likely pard has doubled for a ruff, since the oppo tend to have a big undisclosed side suit when they bash grand.

#3 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-November-03, 07:13

I'll go with a diamond as well.
Become yourself.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-November-03, 09:12

Another vote for a diamond here
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-03, 15:18

good job partner, who wants 16 for -260 when you can get 17 for +200 on a right guess.

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-November-03, 20:55

View Postmr1303, on 2013-November-03, 06:12, said:

J73
Q6542

You're on lead to the following auction.

1NT 2S 3H P
P 3S 4S P
6H P 7H P
P X all pass.

Partner wasn't looking too happy after 6H after he'd balanced but appears happier now. However, he'll soon be miserable if you lead the wrong suit. What'll it be?

Is partner a fool? He had a chance to pass out the hand in 3H and is now defending 7.
Anyway I lead a D - probably the last lead I ever make with this partner.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-November-04, 00:18

This was a problem our opponents faced. They were a pick up partnership. Yes, bidding 3S was a clear error, but that was what happened at the table.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-04, 04:45

View Postmr1303, on 2013-November-04, 00:18, said:

This was a problem our opponents faced. They were a pick up partnership. Yes, bidding 3S was a clear error, but that was what happened at the table.

I'd have bid 3 first time on the other hand, bidding it slowly was the bad mistake.

#9 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-04, 18:38

It all depends on what partner means for his double, so if you aren't sure, I would recommend interpreting as Lightner, requesting you lead your longest suit (or really, in this case, lead a minor).

If it turns out a club is right, then those are the breaks. Partner's double means one of three things, only two of which are reasonable:
1. They aren't making 7 and he knows it. If declarer knows what he is doing, this is unlikely.
2. He's afraid if you make the normal lead of a spade they will MAKE the contract, so lead something else.
3. He's upset at how his 3 rebid turned out and is doubling out of anger or is gambling.

If it's #1, it doesn't matter terribly much what you lead. You're going plus 95% of the time no matter what you lead.
If it's #2, then it does matter what you lead and the diamond is probably the best lead under most circumstances. (1) Partner may be ruffing. (2) Partner may have the ace.
Both are possible with a club lead, but (1) is more likely with a diamond lead because you have 5 of them.
If it's #3, you should leave the table and not play with this partner again.

In theory if it is #2 and partner is right (about a spade lead giving them the contract), you only have to guess right about 10%-20% of the time for his double to show a profit in the long run.

Still, I'm inclined to distrust this partner's judgment for bidding 3.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users