Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1D-1M, 2C alert

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-08, 10:31

We open 1D as artificial (0+ diamonds) and when we rebid 2C we alert how this shows minors but how we may have different patterns than opponents might be expecting. For instance, 1D-1S, 2C could be 1435.

So we play our (to be) teammates last night in a casual game. They also open 1D artificial and alerted it as 0+ diamonds. The auction went 1D (4H) P P 5C P P dbl. We assumed that opener had both minors when he only had clubs.

Is 5C alertable as only clubs? Do we have to ask?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-February-08, 10:42

Given the system being played, it makes sense that 5 would be clubs only. 4NT was available for both minors.

I believe that bids above 3NT are not alertable on the second round of the auction. A delayed alert might be required, but that would not help you. You would have to ask.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 10:45

The fact that two pairs play ostensibly the same convention, with the same initial meaning (art, 0+ diamonds) does not mean that follow ons must mean the same thing to both pairs. Also, the fact that opener in this case had only clubs does not mean that their partnership understanding includes this possibility. Your question therefore is not answerable as posed. What is their complete partnership understanding of the 1D bid? What is their complete understanding of the 5C bid?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 10:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-08, 10:45, said:

The fact that two pairs play ostensibly the same convention, with the same initial meaning (art, 0+ diamonds) does not mean that follow ons must mean the same thing to both pairs. Also, the fact that opener in this case had only clubs does not mean that their partnership understanding includes this possibility. Your question therefore is not answerable as posed. What is their complete partnership understanding of the 1D bid? What is their complete understanding of the 5C bid?

I don't know what their complete understanding of the 1D bid is. I know that they use 1C as strong artificial and they use 2C as stronger artificial. They said afterwards that 4N by opener would have shown both minors. 5C promised only clubs.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 11:07

I gather your pair doesn't play 4NT and 5C the same way. <shrug> Seems to me on this kind of auction you make assumptions about opponents' bidding at your own risk. So I guess you have to ask when they bid 5C. I would say the explanation should be something like 'she has clubs; if she had both minors, she would bid 4NT."
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 17:48

The problem here is that "0+ diamonds" is a very poor description of, well, anything really. Most bids I make could have as few as 0 diamonds. It sounds like your 0+ diamonds bid can't be a single-suiter in clubs whereas your teammates' can be.

#7 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-February-10, 17:19

It is very normal for pairs who play short diamonds to play them in all sorts of different ways. Sequences like the one in the OP which are above 3NT so alerting is not done should always be asked about, opponents should never assume after a short diamond opening.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users