• You cannot reply to this topic

Claiming the rest of the tricks Unfair judgement

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-17, 00:14

I think your reconstruction is almost correct. IMO, it should be:

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 00:23

Post 16 also says that declarer has Q. Nowhere does he actually say that either hand has 4 hearts, allowing for the cashing of all four heart honors. OP appears to me to be an appropriate partner for the elderly man who couldn't articulate his claim. Since we have no idea what words actually came out of the mouth of declarer, I don't see how we're supposed to definitively determine what should have happened.

#23 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 00:43

Someone must have 4+ hearts because he counted AKQJ of hearts as four tricks.

#24 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-17, 01:10

Sorry if I didnt mention the layout of the hands but that is not so important. After a spade lead and two rounds of clubs declarer have all remaining 10 tricks. AK of spade, AKQJ of hearts, A of diamond and 3 high clubs. There were no problems going between the hands.

#25 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-17, 02:38

I see no problem in understanding Dennys story. The TD ruled crazy.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#26 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-17, 03:04

I think the important question from claimer to director should be:
Why am I supposed to take the diamond finessee for the fourteenth trick on the board when I didn't mention this finessee at all with my claim?

#27 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-17, 03:06

Sorry, double posted because BBO hung when processing my comment (first time)

#28 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 05:24

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2013-January-17, 01:10, said:

Sorry if I didnt mention the layout of the hands but that is not so important. [.....]

I think it is simplest to assume that the layout of the hands is always relevant when discussing a claim. (I've seen appeals forms that say the bidding is not relevant for a claim, but that's rather different!)

#29 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 05:37

This ruling is preposterous. Assuming it is too late for appeal, I would send a report of this ruling to the management of the club.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 07:03

Nah, the director just failed to count to 14. To err is human ....
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 08:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-January-17, 07:03, said:

Nah, the director just failed to count to 14. To err is human ....

Or did he manage to count to 14?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-17, 09:30

It seems you have to include the bidding in order to be able to enter the play. And it won't record partial tricks.

The lead at this point (hit the 'next' button three times to see the tricks already played) was apparently the 7 from West. Now South claims the remaining ten tricks with no line of play statement. Opponents object and call the director. Declarer has ten top tricks at this point (two spades, four hearts, one diamond and three clubs). However, this line depends on not taking the diamond finesse. Is taking the finesse a "normal" (in the sense of the laws) play in this situation? The table director apparently thought so. If the claimer had said, when he claimed, "I have ten top tricks" or some such, I would disagree with the table ruling, but he apparently said nothing at all. Law 70A does say that the director shall rule as equitably as possible to both sides, but it also says that any doubtful point should be resolved in favor of the non-claiming side. For some players, there would be no doubt that claimer realizes he doesn't need the finesse; for most players though, there would be some doubt on that point. If there is doubt here, the table ruling was correct. If there's no doubt that declarer knows he has ten top tricks without finessing, then it wasn't.

Players need to learn to state a clear line of play, however "obvious" they think it is.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#33 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-January-17, 10:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-17, 09:30, said:

Is taking the finesse a "normal" (in the sense of the laws) play in this situation?

Not for someone who claims the remainder. Running the eight of clubs would also fail, as would playing the ace and king of spades on the same trick. These would be "worse than careless" plays along with the practice finesse in diamonds. Some percentage of (weak) players who did not claim would indeed take the diamond finesse, but not someone who claims.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-17, 11:04

View Postlamford, on 2013-January-17, 10:35, said:

Not for someone who claims the remainder. Running the eight of clubs would also fail, as would playing the ace and king of spades on the same trick. These would be "worse than careless" plays along with the practice finesse in diamonds. Some percentage of (weak) players who did not claim would indeed take the diamond finesse, but not someone who claims.

That was my feeling. Glad someone agrees with me. B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-17, 20:10

Just a comment about this D finess. Declarer had the Ace and the Q was on dummy. My point however is that TD never asked how my partner would play the hand but forced him to wrongly underplay the Ace. My partner is also one of the best players in the club and he never takes advantage of other players mistake.

#36 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-17, 22:16

Um, no. Once the claim was made, play ceased. What the TD might do is to rule that on the lead of the 7, it would be "normal" to duck instead of winning with the Ace, but if the lead is coming from declarer's left, and the Ace is in declarer's hand, and declarer has the rest of the tricks, that's ridiculous.

Of course, since you've just told us that what we thought was the layout wasn't actually the layout of the cards, it's hard to be sure what the ruling should be, so please tell us what the complete layout was.
--------------------

#37 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-18, 00:36

After a S lead to J and two rounds of C W was on lead and S claimed 10 high tricks

#38 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-18, 01:55

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2013-January-18, 00:36, said:

After a S lead to J and two rounds of C W was on lead and S claimed 10 high tricks

Good claim, making 12.

#39 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-19, 20:08

Law 70 also states that defending side shud continue the play in a normal way and not use the information they get from seeing all open hands. After Ace of Club W didnt know how to continue and it wasnt normal to play a low D from Jxx.
He could go on in S or play a H but now he knew his partner had D King and director allowed him to play D and also forced my partner to play low from the Ace.

#40 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-20, 03:39

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2013-January-19, 20:08, said:

Law 70 also states that defending side shud continue the play in a normal way and not use the information they get from seeing all open hands.

Not in my law book. Can you quote what you have interpreted in this way? They aren't continuing to play at all, since play ceases when a claim has been made.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users