BBO Discussion Forums: What is the best chance to make this grand? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the best chance to make this grand? Team match

#1 User is offline   rasmuskold 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-14, 16:38

After some frisky bidding, you arrive in the not very good contract of 7 diamonds. LHO leads a small spade (3.,5.), and now you have to weigh your options. Obviously, you need clubs 3-2 (although lucky splits may see you through when the club queen is singleton), but how do you go about establishing the club suit?

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-October-14, 16:46

Hm. Diamond A, Club AK and a club, if LHO follows ruff with the king and finesse for the jack back, and if discard you ruff, but if he ruffs with the 9...play him for J9x?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   cargobeep 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-14, 21:26

I got 2 tricks, 1 trick, likely 5 tricks and 2 tricks. So I need to establish 3 additional tricks. Doing that in is extremely unlikely, also. I need to establish tricks in clubs.

Win the ] Ace, play the Ace-King of clubs. If clubs have split 3-2 (indicated after trick 2), lead a club. If West shows out, overtrump if they ruff, otherwise ruff with the 2. If West follows, I ruff low. Then I win the lead, draw trumps ending in dummy, and play clubs making 12 tricks.

If clubs are 4-1, then it's time to start finessing some hearts.

This line will always make if clubs are 3-2 and diamonds split no worse than 3-2. It will also make if West has 2 clubs and 4 diamonds.

If I did the math right, this gives me about a 54% of making the contract.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-14, 23:43

View Postcargobeep, on 2012-October-14, 21:26, said:

Win the ] Ace, play the Ace-King of clubs. If clubs have split 3-2 (indicated after trick 2), lead a club. If West shows out, overtrump if they ruff, otherwise ruff with the 2. If West follows, I ruff low. Then I win the lead, draw trumps ending in dummy, and play clubs making 12 tricks.

you're in grand, not 6
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 01:19

Yeah, but 12 is a typo - insomuch as I was able to follow the line, it comes to 13 tricks.

#6 User is offline   rasmuskold 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 02:33

View Postcargobeep, on 2012-October-14, 21:26, said:

...If West follows, I ruff low. Then I win the lead, draw trumps ending in dummy, and play clubs making 12 tricks...

'Winning the lead' kinda implies just making 12 tricks, doesn't it?

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 03:34

Oh, right. Thanks, missed that.

#8 User is offline   rasmuskold 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-October-16, 02:03

Thanks - Hanoi's line is probably best in isolation. However, today it would fail because the minor suits were divided as follows;

W: Jxx Qxx
E: 9x xx

So it turns out that the grand could have been made by cashing KA of diamonds, ruff a diamond, ruff a spade back and claim (works whenever the hand with double clubs also has double diamonds, or whenever either opponent have exactly J9). This line seems inferior, but what about the inference that west didn't lead a trump - does this make it more likely that he has the jack, and if so, how much does it change the odds in favour of the winning line? Say against a strong opponent.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users