BBO Discussion Forums: ACBL Electronics ban - BBO Discussion Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL Electronics ban Will this mean no vugraph?

#1 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-March-09, 08:10

From the March 9 Bulletin:

Electronic devices, excluding health-related
equipment, capable of sending or receiving
communication, including but not limited to,
headphones, earphones, cellular phones and minicomputers:
(1) shall not be allowed in the playing
areas, adjacent hallways, restrooms or accessible
break areas; and (2) shall not be used during a
session.

These restrictions shall apply to all pairs, team
members, captains, coaches, recorders and kibitzers
and shall apply throughout any actual playing session
or segment.

A violation of this policy shall result in a
disciplinary penalty of one full board (or 12 IMPs at
that form of scoring) for the first offense. A second
offense shall result in disqualification from the event
for the pair/team.

Kibitzers violating this policy shall be removed
from the playing area for the remainder of the session.

Does this mean no vugraph operators in the playing area?

#2 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2008-March-09, 09:36

I'm guessing that this does not apply to vugraph operators. (Sure hope I'm right.)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-March-09, 09:50

TimG, on Mar 9 2008, 10:10 PM, said:

Does this mean no vugraph operators in the playing area?

How grand it would be then :rolleyes:
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 11:03

PassedOut, on Mar 9 2008, 07:36 AM, said:

I'm guessing that this does not apply to vugraph operators. (Sure hope I'm right.)

I doubt it applies to directors too.

Theres that recorder word again....
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 12:01

If (1) is actually enforced, isn't (2) an impossibility?
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#6 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 12:18

You mean they actually think that no one will carry their cell phones when they're at a big bridge tournament? I don't know who thought up this stuff, but there's no way anyone's going to follow it...

Why don't they just come out and say what they mean - please don't cheat with high-tech stuff either? But of course that was already illegal so this current rule is just stupid/redundant.

#7 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 13:44

Rob F, on Mar 9 2008, 01:18 PM, said:

You mean they actually think that no one will carry their cell phones when they're at a big bridge tournament? I don't know who thought up this stuff, but there's no way anyone's going to follow it...

I don't carry my cellphone at a big (or small) tournament. I'm not sure why anyone would need to.

#8 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 15:02

I asked one of the drafters about Vugraph and was told that the rule was definitely not intended to prevent it :). I'm not sure whether the way it is written at the moment exempts Vugraph operators and tournament directors and other people who might need to have a device that could transmit information, but I think that we will see some "fine-tuning" before Las Vegas to deal with those problems.

And yes, I think this means that you will have to leave your cell phone in your hotel room during playing sessions.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#9 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2008-March-09, 15:22

TimG, on Mar 9 2008, 11:44 AM, said:

You mean they actually think that no one will carry their cell phones when they're at a big bridge tournament?  I don't know who thought up this stuff, but there's no way anyone's going to follow it...

I don't carry my cellphone at a big (or small) tournament. I'm not sure why anyone would need to.

Call me crazy, but I like to have some way of communicating with a teammate if they are running late. I put my cell phone in my jacket and put the jacket in a non-playing area when the cards start flying, but most of the coat racks are still within the defined area. Do I get penalized for this? Is that reasonable?
Chris Gibson

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-March-09, 17:13

TimG, on Mar 9 2008, 01:44 PM, said:

You mean they actually think that no one will carry their cell phones when they're at a big bridge tournament?  I don't know who thought up this stuff, but there's no way anyone's going to follow it...

Uhm, at an NABC how else will you find your friends (who might be playing in a different event) for lunch or dinner? [Yeah I know in the 80s there used to be this thing of agreeing a time and place to meet, etc.]
I suppose your notion of "big" doesn't quite match a NABC....
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-March-09, 17:14

JanM, on Mar 9 2008, 03:02 PM, said:

And yes, I think this means that you will have to leave your cell phone in your hotel room during playing sessions.

Not everybody is staying at the hotel of the playing venue...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 19:10

cherdano, on Mar 9 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

What's a NABC?

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 19:14

What's next, metal detectors and no fluids? (3-1-1!)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 19:22

han, on Mar 9 2008, 08:14 PM, said:

What's next, metal detectors and no fluids? (3-1-1!)

sequestering. players will be prevented from discussing anything during the event.

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-March-09, 19:41

TimG, on Mar 9 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

What's a NABC?

National American Bridge Championships, i.e. the event of whose bulletin you are quoting, and for which these rules apply. Sorry if I am missing some dry humor here...

#16 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 20:15

cherdano, on Mar 9 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

What's a NABC?

National American Bridge Championships, i.e. the event of whose bulletin you are quoting, and for which these rules apply. Sorry if I am missing some dry humor here...

Well, as you say, we were talking about rules that apply to an NABC, so I don't understand why you would suppose my notion of a "big" tournament did not match a NABC. I have been to a few. I have stayed on and off site. I have managed to get along just fine without carrying a cell phone to the playing areas, adjacent hallways, restrooms or accessible break areas.

I understand that we don't live in the same world we did 10-15 years ago. And, I don't necessarily think the new rule as proposed is a good one. But, neither do I think that not being able to carry a cell phone to the game is anything more than a minor inconvenience. Certainly nothing that would amount to Rob F's expected mass protest: "I don't know who thought up this stuff, but there's no way anyone's going to follow it... " I suspect the rule will be modified before it is enforced, but I also think there are plenty of people who will adhere to the rule when it goes into effect on July 1st.

#17 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2008-March-09, 20:32

Now that they have outlawed cell phones, only outlaws will have cell phones.

I plan to go to Vegas. I don't plan to stay at the venue (although i will be there almost all the time). I don't like the idea of not taking my cell phone with me. I can't see why a phone turned off is a problem. I may become a scofflaw because i just can't see how a turned off device is a problem....
--Ben--

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-March-09, 20:44

TimG, on Mar 9 2008, 08:15 PM, said:

cherdano, on Mar 9 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

What's a NABC?

Well, as you say, we were talking about rules that apply to an NABC, so I don't understand why you would suppose my notion of a "big" tournament did not match a NABC. I have been to a few. I have stayed on and off site. I have managed to get along just fine without carrying a cell phone to the playing areas, adjacent hallways, restrooms or accessible break areas.

I understand that we don't live in the same world we did 10-15 years ago. And, I don't necessarily think the new rule as proposed is a good one. But, neither do I think that not being able to carry a cell phone to the game is anything more than a minor inconvenience. Certainly nothing that would amount to Rob F's expected mass protest: "I don't know who thought up this stuff, but there's no way anyone's going to follow it... " I suspect the rule will be modified before it is enforced, but I also think there are plenty of people who will adhere to the rule when it goes into effect on July 1st.

Well you wrote "I am not sure why anyone would [carry a cell phone]", I found it hard to understand how someone who has been at an NABC would write that...
And anyway, RobF wasn't asking for a mass protest, just that for a matter of fact people would not follow it. (People don't even follow the rules about cell phones in airplanes.)

#19 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 21:29

I, for one, cannot imagine what they plan on doing about this. I mean, if they plan on starting to search people, I can see many deciding not to go to NABCs.

Otherwise, how are they going to enforce the "no cell phones in the playing area"? My guess is by when one goes off, orr someone just takes one out, which seems to be a rule "No use of cell phones", not "no bringing cell phones".

I agree with Rob, you're going to see a lot of people ignoring the rule. And not just the under 35s, either.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#20 User is offline   finally17 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-09, 21:59

I actually think it's likely that this kind of rule is/soon will be at least locally illegal. There has been a lot of outcry after school shootings in recent years to allow students to have cell phones...A lot of states have changed their policies regarding this. I don't know that it's too far down the line before at least some states and municipalities start passing bills which guarantee the right to carry a cell phone.

In fact, I haven't heard of any such thing, but I would not be at all surprised if some places didn't already have such a law.
I constantly try and "Esc-wq!" to finish and post webforum replies.

Aaron

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users