BBO Discussion Forums: ACBL Electronics ban - BBO Discussion Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL Electronics ban Will this mean no vugraph?

#321 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-June-05, 17:51

matmat, on Jun 5 2008, 06:10 PM, said:

JoAnneM, on Jun 5 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

Page 11 June Bulletin, in yellow at the bottom. "ACBL to ban electronic devices in national events.......A check station will be available for a fee."

lol

so the whole point of the regulation was to get more revenue?

The way things are going it will have to be enough to offset a lot of lost membership fees. This is disgraceful.

BTW I forgot to say, I emailed Jay Baum a few weeks ago with my main points, very politely and professionally. To his credit he replied almost immediately. He addressed absolutely none of my points, instead choosing to state a few of his own in support of the ban, all of which I found either irrelevant or not credible when coming from the ACBL. Unfortunately I don't think I have the email any more, but I was extremely disappointed with the nature of his reply.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#322 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-June-06, 15:30

matmat, on Jun 5 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

JoAnneM, on Jun 5 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

Page 11 June Bulletin, in yellow at the bottom. "ACBL to ban electronic devices in national events.......A check station will be available for a fee."

lol

so the whole point of the regulation was to get more revenue?

Only if they'll be making a profit on it. I assume they'll have to pay the hotel or convention center to operate the check room.

#323 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-07, 05:45

I have written some posts on this forum in support of the phone ban. But (at least to me) it is obvious that it should be possible to check your phone at zero cost, close to the entrance of the play room. To forbid players to carry their phone and then charging them for following your regulation is ridiculous.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#324 User is offline   Vilgan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Hiking, MTG, Go, Pacific NW.

Posted 2008-June-07, 13:42

One might think they would at least limit it to the final day when stuff *really* matters. Carryover is nifty and all, but it is a lot less relevant than cheating that may or may not be going on in the final 2 sessions.

Not to mention it would greatly reduce the amount of "huddled masses" that would be impacted by a rule that has nothing to do with them anyways. LoL's who cannot make it past day 1 of a national event are not going to be hiding in the bathroom reading a text message about board 12.

#325 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-04, 05:36

NYC schools seem to have an inconsistent enforcement of their cell phone ban as well.

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users