BBO Discussion Forums: Playing director ruling at his own table. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing director ruling at his own table.

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 13:19

View PostOof Arted, on 2012-April-05, 12:28, said:

Rather harsh Ed so a player who out of the kindess of his or HER heart or felt duty to his Club should Penalise himself for TD ing

How do you suggest little clubs manage without Volunteers :angry:

View Postmycroft, on 2012-April-05, 12:40, said:

I have never lost a board because of directing; I have however had to cancel a board because I couldn't play it with any confidence of lack of bias after a ruling (actually with that board, multiple rulings on the same hand at different tables that meant that I saw two hands, both dummy).

I'm with Mycroft here. I've been a voluntary playing director. The only boards where this came up were where I'd seen one of the hands. I gave my pair A-. I've never had a problem with that from anyone. I have had comments from people along the lines that if I'd given myself A+ (we have a director here, widely considered incompetent, who does this regularly) there would have been a problem.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 16:52

I don't think that I am completely at fault for this - I would be assigning my table A=/A+. But I wouldn't be giving myself a 60% at a game that I was running because my TD responsibilities caused me to lose a board - unless, as I said before, I had come to play and found out that I had to direct at or very near playing time.

But I usually find that when I do know about a hand or an auction that I can organize the play so that I hold the known hand, and point out to the opponents that "I know something about this hand. I'll tell you what it was afterward, or if I feel I can't honestly play it." Sometimes I end up declaring and ask if it's okay if partner plays my cards, or whatever. Usually I realize I should have told them about this board only after I played it, totally oblivious to the UI I have. I've never had a problem with this (except for the board I had to cancel because I couldn't in honesty play it) - but, the players know me and know that I'm honest (and certainly don't care enough to win my own club game to try to gain an advantage that way).

I also try to postpone my "judgment rulings" or my "adjusted score based on an assigned contract" rulings until after I play the hand. Almost always if I explain that that's what I'm doing, they're good with the delay.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:46

I'm not quite sure what difference it makes whether you knew you were going to be the unpaid playing director a week before the event or found out just before play commences as far as deciding what result you give yourself when you are unable to play a board. I am the unpaid playing director at our club every week and I think it would be a bit tough on my partner to have to wear an A or A- whenever we cannot play a board for reasons related to my directing duties. He is no more at fault than the opponents and I, quite honestly, cannot see that I am at fault either for doing my (unpaid) job.
Australia

#24 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:50

View Postmycroft, on 2012-April-05, 16:52, said:

I also try to postpone my "judgment rulings" or my "adjusted score based on an assigned contract" rulings until after I play the hand. Almost always if I explain that that's what I'm doing, they're good with the delay.

I always postpone judgement rulings and adjusted scores until the end of the session. But that's nothing to do with whether I have played it, I just consider it good TD practice.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:09

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-05, 07:45, said:

Although I get paid ($50 for the session), I would do it without being paid, so I consider myself to be a volunteer.

ROFLMAO
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users