• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-Natural Systems Part Two

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-28, 03:21

View Postrelknes, on 2012-February-27, 21:08, said:

It is also not a relay because opener's response says something about their hand, where a relay bid tells opener something and their response says nothing other than a desire for more information (hence the "tell me more" terminology).

This is untrue. Stayman is absolutely a relay. Most relays say something about the relayer's hand, even if the bidders themselves do not disclose it (or sometimes simply do not understand it). Relay systems have relay breaks. Not using a relay break means that the relay itself has a meaning.

As mgoetze points out Stayman is not on its own a relay system. However it can be part of a relay system with certain follow-ups. Also, Adam has pointed out many times on these forums that what the ACBL means by the term relay system is not the same as what the rest of the bridge world means. A 1 response as "hearts or GF" is legal because any given relay sequence leads to game. Of course any given Director might choose to interpret this differently.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-February-28, 11:08

Oh boy, I've opened the box... ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#23 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-28, 12:24

View PostPrecisionL, on 2012-February-26, 18:52, said:

Multi is allowed in 6-board matches or greater (in ACBLand) in A bracket KOs and Swiss A/X and I have played this convention.
So, "effectively banned" unless you want to learn two systems, one to play at pairs, and one to play at teams (even assuming that you are *sure* you're going to get into "top bracket KOs", which I'm not, and will only play in mid-chart events).

Multi and Polish 2s (or whatever) and Multi-Landy/Woolsey are "bolt-on conventions" that can be put on or taken off without real issues; but if the nature of the system *required* Multi 2 to work - it would have to be effectively redesigned to operate without - then Multi is "effectively banned" in the ACBL...

That's what they want - that's fine. But "it's allowed if you look hard" or "it's allowed if you're a pro/have 5000 MPs" still isn't an effective response.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#24 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-28, 14:30

Heard that 1C--(not strong but be be as short as 1 if 4441)---1S(no M) wasnt allowed in the top MP field in acbl land.

The 10-14 range allow for stayman anything wider doesnt.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users