• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor fit => 3NT or 5m or 6m?

#1 User is offline   MartenW 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-November-18, 08:43

Imps.

1 shows 4+ (I know, suboptimal), opps play WJO. Agree with the bidding so far? What should South bid now? Discuss the merits of both 3 and 3.

How should North respond to both those bids? Currently the club slam is reasonable but not great, but how should the bidding go if some minor modification makes slam really good, e.g., North having Q instead of Q?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-18, 09:03

3D with the king seems like a poor bid. As far as south knows, north either has a slam try in clubs, or is interested in playing a game in clubs rather than NT, despite south bidding 2N. If he is trying for slam, south has a great hand, but the king of diamonds is not a good card to be bidding 3D with obviously. Over 3S north will of course not bid 3N with such a suit oriented hand.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-18, 10:17

If 1 only shows 4 anyway, is there some merit to a negative double instead? After which, bidding hearts later if appropriate should show 5 and extras?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-November-18, 10:25

View Postbillw55, on 2011-November-18, 10:17, said:

If 1 only shows 4 anyway, is there some merit to a negative double instead? After which, bidding hearts later if appropriate should show 5 and extras?

I would've taken double followed by a heart bid as simply a competitive hand with 5 good or 6 hearts, and 4 spades. What do others think is standard (or best)?

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-November-18, 10:27

I guess Marten means optimal is X=4+, 1=4+, 1=something clever with the majors (making one of X or 1 deny the other major)? 1M showing 4 is normal and very close to best I think.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-18, 20:52

3, because the stopper is lousy, and because partner asked another description - thats the only un-described feature of my hand. 3 will also suggest potential shortage and cool partners enthusiasm about honors in suit. The strain and level of the final contract is not going to be my decision, so I would just give partner maximum relevant info to make his life easier.
Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-November-18, 21:32

View PostYu18772, on 2011-November-18, 20:52, said:

3, because the stopper is lousy, and because partner asked another description - thats the only un-described feature of my hand. 3 will also suggest potential shortage and cool partners enthusiasm about honors in suit. The strain and level of the final contract is not going to be my decision, so I would just give partner maximum relevant info to make his life easier.
Posted Image

Yes...agreed.

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 11:54

Since it is IMPs, check for key cards ( to play in either 5C or slam ) .
[ But even if it were MP, 3NT most likely would be in jeopardy if 2 key cards were missing ] .

Partner has shown a GF with his 2S reverse.
So, East can't have much if West had a worthy overcall.
Thus, eventho you think the guarded K is not much of a stopper, West probably can't get to East for a lead-thru.

I'd go 4C-Minorwood RKC.
If 2 key cards are missing, and even if you have the ability to stop in 4NT -- don't -- too dangerous ( West can knock out your K and get in with the missing key card to run the . Settle in 5C.
With only one key card missing -- bid 6C.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 07:19

3c sets clubs and my hand is good for a 1 2 rebid, so I want to bid 3 to show the A and let him know about the missing A . He should be something like 4513 and lefty has bid twice so at least 1 of the key majors should be in their hands which makes slam work.

Will stress a little if West leads a high spot, reckon at the table I'd finesse and apologise to partner if I go off as I liked his bidding.

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:45

it just seems routine to bid 3S at this point - pass the decision back to partner, who can bid 3N if he only had a mild slam try, or something else if he has a real one.

Is it possible the OP is unclear on whether 3C was forcing? V old school people like my dad always thing these auctions are invitational. In case there there is any confusion, its like 1000% better to play responders reverse is GF in this kind of situation.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users