Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pick a line

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-20, 16:11

7 teams, small heart lead, plan the play, not sure of the percentages in the club suit here when combined with 3-1/2-2 spade breaks.

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-20, 17:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-November-20, 16:11, said:

7 teams, small heart lead, plan the play, not sure of the percentages in the club suit here when combined with 3-1/2-2 spade breaks.

Line 1:
A, ruff , ruff, ruff , ruff , ruff , ruff high, cash top 2 trump, run club from top (if the K falls on first two rounds switch to line 2)

Line 2:
A, ruff , ruff, ruff , ruff , cash top 3 trump, run club from top

Line 1 wins if clubs are 4-3 either way with either player having the K, but only if spades are 2-2. Line 1 also wins if clubs are 5-2 either way with the K in the 2, and spades are 2-2 or 3-1.

Line 2 wins if clubs are 4-3 with the K in the short side if spades are 2-2 or 3-1. Line 2 also wins if clubs are 5-2 either way with the K in the 2, and spades are 2-2 or 3-1.

What is more likely, clubs 4-3 with the K in the long side and spades 2-2 or clubs 4-3 with the K in the short side and spades 3-1?

A Q&D calculation would be 4/7 * 40 = 22.9 versus 3/7 * 50 = 21.42 which suggests line 1 is slightly better.

Of course, I think you might be able to combine some of both lines by cashing the A first.

Line 3:
A, ruff , A, ruff (if the K falls now, know to ruff the next club high and then pull trump - unless both K and T fell, then we pull trump now and even pick up 4-0 trumps), ruff , ruff (if K falls now pull trump), ruff , ruff high, pull trumps run clubs.

I think this gives us our best chance.

You don't have enough tricks to cross ruff the hand without a non-A winning a trick, and that is either the Q, at best 50% and likely much less given the lead or the Q but the Q ruffed good will be near impossible to score without them ruffing, and a ruffing finesse will also lead to ruin the cross ruff as we'll get out ruffed.

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-20, 17:55

I think we absolutely have to play a trump to hand at trick 2. Any line that sets out by proposing to ruff red cards twice will fail on 4-0 trumps.

So trump to hand. I will assume both opps follow.

Thereafter, there are, it seems to me, 3 alternatives.

1 and 2 are equivalent.

1. ruff a club, ruff a red card, ruff a club, pull trump. Wins on any trump layout (note assumption above) so long as clubs are 3-3 or the K drops doubleton....note that if the K drops doubleton, we stop ruffing right now...P T & C.

2. ruff a club, ruff a red card, ruff a club, ruff a red card, ruff a club with the J, and ruff another red card with our penultimate trump and claim if trump were 2-2.

These are equivalent because they play the same until we are in dummy after the second club ruff. At that stage, we are missing 2 cards in each black suit. If spades are 1-1, which is slightly over 50%, then we are cold by continuing to cross ruff. If clubs are 1-1, we are cold by pulling trump. The odds that clubs are 1-1 is the same as for trump to be 1-1. If both are 1-1, both work. If neither are 1-1, both fail.

3. Draw two rounds of trump. If the suit is 2-2, play club A and ruff a club, then ruff a red card and ruff a club. We need 3-3 clubs or the K to appear on round 2.

if trump are 1-3, then lead the club Q for a ruffing finesse....do not cash the A first.

if trump are 3-1, play the club A then ruff low then back to hand with a ruff then the club Q for the ruffing finesse.

I can't do the math to determine which line is best...I think they are very close...as I said, I think 1 and 2 are identical.

My gut says to adopt line 3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-November-20, 18:04

Cyberyeti asks "7 teams, small heart lead, plan the play, not sure of the percentages in the club suit here when combined with 3-1/2-2 spade breaks."

Guessing:
- A, A (to check on split). A, ruff a .
- If K not doubleton, then ruff a , ruff a .
- If K hasn't appeared, then you need 2-2, therefore, ruff a , ruff a , ruff a , draw last trump.

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-November-20, 18:10

Line 3 trump to hand, club ruff, diamond ruff, run Q unless K or 10 dropped from RHO. If 10 dropped, you have to guess whether this is something sneaky from K10x or 10x or is K10 double. If Q holds, ruff a club high.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-20, 23:50

View PostMbodell, on 2011-November-20, 17:30, said:

Line 1:
A, ruff , ruff, ruff , ruff , ruff , ruff high, cash top 2 trump, run club from top (if the K falls on first two rounds switch to line 2)

Line 2:
A, ruff , ruff, ruff , ruff , cash top 3 trump, run club from top

Line 1 wins if clubs are 4-3 either way with either player having the K, but only if spades are 2-2. Line 1 also wins if clubs are 5-2 either way with the K in the 2, and spades are 2-2 or 3-1.

Line 2 wins if clubs are 4-3 with the K in the short side if spades are 2-2 or 3-1. Line 2 also wins if clubs are 5-2 either way with the K in the 2, and spades are 2-2 or 3-1.

What is more likely, clubs 4-3 with the K in the long side and spades 2-2 or clubs 4-3 with the K in the short side and spades 3-1?

A Q&D calculation would be 4/7 * 40 = 22.9 versus 3/7 * 50 = 21.42 which suggests line 1 is slightly better.

Of course, I think you might be able to combine some of both lines by cashing the A first.

Line 3:
A, ruff , A, ruff (if the K falls now, know to ruff the next club high and then pull trump - unless both K and T fell, then we pull trump now and even pick up 4-0 trumps), ruff , ruff (if K falls now pull trump), ruff , ruff high, pull trumps run clubs.

I think this gives us our best chance.

You don't have enough tricks to cross ruff the hand without a non-A winning a trick, and that is either the Q, at best 50% and likely much less given the lead or the Q but the Q ruffed good will be near impossible to score without them ruffing, and a ruffing finesse will also lead to ruin the cross ruff as we'll get out ruffed.

I think you are mistaken, opponents do not have 7 cards . We do.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-21, 06:33

T1:A
T2:A

If are 4-0 take the ruffing finesse in . If RHO has 4s you can ruff another club with the J thereafter, by coming to hand with the 9

Assuming both follow to the first round of trumps:

T3:A
T4:Q ruffed, but LHO might erroneously cover from KTxx

If king appeared:

T5: K
T6: ruff with J

red suit ruff, draw trumps

If king did not appear:

cross-ruff until king appears.

This line wins:

When LHO has Kxxx, Kxx or Kx and RHO has four 4s.
When LHO has Kxx and 4s
When either opponent has Kx or Kxx and trumps are not 4-0
When RHO has Kxxx and trumps are 2-2

If my calculations are correct this line succeeds about 56% of the time (plus the chance that LHO may cover the Q.

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users