Posted 2011-November-08, 09:39

or..

1:2
2:2
3N

or..

1:2
2n:3n
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-08, 10:07

1N-2-2-3N :)

but playing a strong no trump, probably 1-2-2N (if this is 12-14 bal)-3-3N

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-November-08, 10:16

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-November-08, 10:07, said:

+1

With a game force, you should bid your 5 card minor before your 4 card major. The point being you'll have time to bid the major later.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-08, 10:17

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-November-08, 10:07, said:

1N-2-2-3N :)

I thought the same as you here, Yeti, except that my weak NT auction would probably be 1NT - 2S; 2N - 3H; 3NT, where 2S is a range ask and 3H shows 4+ spades and 5+ clubs. Not too sure if posting this auction in B/I is appropriate though.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-08, 10:43

For us, this is a simple old-fashioned 2/1 sequence.

1D-2C (G.F.)
2H-2S (natural bids--2H denying 5 diamonds)
2N-3N (At the point of 2NT responder knows everything she needs to know).

1D-2C
2N? would have been shape specific (4=4=3=2) with 11-14 or 18-19. 3N direct/2C would also have been shape specific, 3=3=5=2 with 18-19.

Jumps to 3NT by opener after 2-level continuations extra strength, not fast arrival.

Repeating, "for us". Am not preaching dogma, just stating what our follow-ups are.

Edit: If the question is about the 1S response, that is just plain wrong in any non-canape style. 2C, then spades establishes the game force AND eventually the relative lengths of the two suits. 1S does neither of those things. This part IS dogma ;)

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-November-08, 11:52

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-08, 13:24

1d=2c
2nt=3s
3nt

1) 2c=lets bid our longest suit first and gf.
2)2nt= strongly prefer 2nt rebid. It limits our hand and tells our shape. 2h here should be 54.
3) 3s= pard can still have 4s on this auction

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-November-08, 13:55

This one depends completely on partnership agreements

I had one partnership that would bid this

1 - 1
2 - 2N
3 - 3N

and another

1 - 2
2 - 2
2N - 3
3N
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-November-08, 14:56

Using Golady:

1-2(artificial GF)
2(four hearts)-2(sdpades and clubs)
2NT(non-minimum)-3(diamonds also in case you care)
3NT(nope)

Using Unbalanced Diamond:

1-1
1NT-2(GF)
2(3-piece)-3(slam interest with clubs)
3NT(not interested enough)-pass
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-08, 15:27

Let's see: this is the B/I forum and a question is asked (obviously) in a strong notrump context.

So we have answers based on a weak notrump structure and answers based on a completely artificial method with which virtually no-one, let alone B/I players, is familiar.

What about providing a meaningful answer to a simple question?

It is standard to respond 2 here, because we have a gf hand and we want to be able to describe our shape. If we, instead, respond 1 and then show gf values, opener should always assume that our spades are as long as or longer than our clubs. This makes no difference to the outcome on hands such as this, but there will be hands on which it is important for opener to be able to trust an inference such as this.

The next question is: what is opener's rebid?

The sequence 1 2 is a theoretical morass for standard bidding, and different partnerships will develop their own approaches.

Thus it is possible to play that bidding 2 promises 4=5 reds or better, with extra values...this happens to be my preference, but it is not, afaik, 'standard'....neither is it, again afaik, idiosyncratic.

It is also possible to play that with 4=5 one rebids 2, to allow room for responder to pattern out via 2M on the appropriate hand. Again, I don't think that this is 'standard' but neither is it idiosyncratic.

Fortunately for the discussion on this hand, opener as an easy 2N rebid, because opener has a weak notrump hand and, critically, values in the majors.

Again, some might feel that bidding 2N denies a major, but such a treatment is not, at least in my experience, standard either.

No matter what one chooses, it is possible to identify problems with followups. Thus the auction 1 2 2N 3 means suit agreement in spades isn't reached until the 4 level. This can be ameliorated by having opener bid 4 or 4 or 4 over 3 as a cuebid in support of spades when holding a good hand in context, but that isn't problem-free either.

And one needn't change the opener's hand much to create more of a problem: with xxx AKxx AJxx Jx, rebidding 2N may wrong-side notrump or may get responder bidding 3N with xx or equivalent in spades, perhaps missing an excellent moysian heart game.

As I said earlier, most experienced partnerships develop their own methods for this auction. Mine, which are definitely not standard, call for a rebid of 2 as a 'default' bid, promising nothing about extra diamonds, but denying the ability to make a different, descriptive call. It seems to work reasonably well, but suffers from the obvious problem of how to show long diamonds. Perhaps aguahombre's approach fares better.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-08, 15:52

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-08, 15:27, said:

As I said earlier, most experienced partnerships develop their own methods for this auction. Mine, which are definitely not standard, call for a rebid of 2 as a 'default' bid, promising nothing about extra diamonds, but denying the ability to make a different, descriptive call. It seems to work reasonably well, but suffers from the obvious problem of how to show long diamonds. Perhaps aguahombre's approach fares better.

Mike, does your 2N and 2M rebids for opener all show extra's?

fwiw, this hand was bid with a new partner. I opened 1D and ended up playing in 5. :blink:
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-08, 16:28

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-08, 09:39, said:

Playing 2/1, Hardy Style ( as I often have quoted and been "poo-pooed" over it ):

1D - 2C! ( 2/1 GF )
2H ( showing 4h/4d; a 2D rebid would show 5+d and not deny 4h ) - 2S ( 4s, no 4h )
2NT - 3NT
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-08, 16:52

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-08, 15:52, said:

Mike, does your 2N and 2M rebids for opener all show extra's?

fwiw, this hand was bid with a new partner. I opened 1D and ended up playing in 5. :blink:

No: the scheme is as follows:

2M shows 4-5 or better and a good 14+ hcp (or compensating values as in good suits and 4-6 or better)

2N shows stoppers in the majors and a weak notrump hand (or 18-19, intending to raise 3N to 4N). The stopper requirement is not absolute: xxxx would suffice B-)

3 shows 4+ clubs, and is silent about values

3 is a very good suit and slight extras

3M is a splinter in support of clubs (thus 3 implies no shortness, altho the splinter will be a stiff, not a void)

2 is a default call: merely denies the ablity to make any other call. Thus could be a 4 card suit and doesn't deny a major.

My feeling is that 2/1 fares especially badly on hands where both partners have some extras but not enough to unilaterally drive beyond 3N. So any scheme that allows opener to show a 4 card major, over 2, on minimums and 14-16 counts seems to me to be problematic. That is why I like the 'reverse' to show basically at least a King above an awful opening hand. This allows responder a little more leeway with his 15-16 count....he needn't worry about reaching 4N with a combined 27 count and no big trick source.

The cost is accuracy whenever opener has a single suited diamond hand and there isn't room to adequately explore (mainly) choice of games (and occasionally slams). My experience so far leads me to think that this cost is worth paying, but I'm always on the lookout for a better approach....I truly do feel that this is a very weak area in bidding theory in a strong NT realm. Weak notrumpers have different issues.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-08, 18:52

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-November-08, 10:43, said:

1D-2C (G.F.)
2H-2S (natural bids--2H denying 5 diamonds)
2N-3N (At the point of 2NT responder knows everything she needs to know).

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-November-08, 16:28, said:

1D - 2C! ( 2/1 GF )
2H ( showing 4h/4d; a 2D rebid would show 5+d and not deny 4h ) - 2S ( 4s, no 4h )
2NT - 3NT

DejaVu, all over again
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-November-09, 02:54

1-2
2NT

shows 14 or more (18-19) to me, and I rebid 2 probably similar to mikeh.

With opener's hand I'd rebid 2NT over 2, not 3NT as you suggested.

#15 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:34

wow and i thought this was an easy hand and here we have a zillion auctions on a nothing hand.

two balanced nothing hands...and we have many auctions.: many of them going really deep.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users