• You cannot reply to this topic

Bid these hands 2/1 absolute game force

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-27, 10:03

View PostPhil, on 2011-May-27, 09:48, said:

Implies is stronger than "alludes to", "infers", much less "hints at" I think, so this seems like an argument about semantics rather than bidding.

The difference between "implies", "alludes to" and "infers" isn't one of strength: the three words have different meanings. In this sequence, responder implies three spades, opener infers that responder has three spades, and either player may allude to this in the postmortem.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-27, 10:58

1S 2C
2H 2S
4C(cue bid, showing extra, 15+HCP, 5-4-2-2 shape, 2 or 4 KC)4D(cue)
4H(cue) 5C(cue, slam zone, denies SQ)
5N(choice of slams, we have no cuebids available, we may miss one KC and SQ, but DQ, SJ and HQJ should justifies this bid, if partner thinks that we are in the slam zone) 6N

This hand is no easy.

View Postdboxley, on 2011-May-21, 02:26, said:

North deals. Please give your auction with comments. No opposition bidding. Ours started:
2 2

Also please say if the 2 bid
1) promises 3+ spades
2) implies 3+ spades
3) neither.

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-27, 14:43

View PostPhil, on 2011-May-27, 09:48, said:

By the way, I prefer a style where 2 shows 3, and 3 shows four card support. What are the others playing 3 as?

I play like this too Phil, but now that i see u do too, it must be wrong and i will change it asap :P

View PostFree, on 2011-May-23, 06:52, said:

I haven't calculated in depth, but is 6NT really that much better?

Yes, 6 NT is better. Basically in 6 or , your chances are reduced to scoring all your trumps afterA is cashed. However in 6NT u have the same chances + cashing AK in other suit first.

I wonder though, which line would be the best in 6 NT ? Which AK to cash first ? I would think to cash AK and if not drops go for finesse which has 1 way to play it and u dont torture yourself for misguessing :P However i am sure we will be tortured in suit as well when/if RHO drops Q or T in first round :) (Q from QT, or T from Tx)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-May-27, 16:40

View PostMrAce, on 2011-May-27, 14:43, said:

I wonder though, which line would be the best in 6 NT ? Which AK to cash first ? I would think to cash AK and if not drops go for finesse which has 1 way to play it and u dont torture yourself for misguessing :P However i am sure we will be tortured in suit as well when/if RHO drops Q or T in first round :) (Q from QT, or T from Tx)

In 6NT, it looks right to cash the top diamonds, top clubs, and top hearts, then guess the spades using whatever information we have gleaned. However, we may not get the chance to do that.

Suppose that we get a diamond lead. One of our routes to twelve tricks is 5 spades + 3 diamonds + 2 clubs + 2 hearts. When we knock out A, we don't want them to have a black-suit winner, so we should play a heart first. That will probably hold, so we'll play another one, throwing a club. Now they could play a third heart, forcing us to pitch a spade (we can't afford another club).

That would make it impossible to play South for Q after cashing the top clubs, so we'd be back to a guess as to which black suit to cash the top cards in.

There's some scope for mind-games here, but not many defenders would see deeply enough for that.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2011-May-27, 16:41

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#25 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-28, 12:39

View Postgnasher, on 2011-May-27, 10:03, said:

The difference between "implies", "alludes to" and "infers" isn't one of strength: the three words have different meanings. In this sequence, responder implies three spades, opener infers that responder has three spades, and either player may allude to this in the postmortem.

Yay!
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#26 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-29, 02:22

I don't remember who started the argument about 'promises' and 'implies' but I'm sure I could find someone from New Jersey who would take care of the problem for a reasonable fee. The reason why it is important is because it affects opener's rebid. My partner rebid 3C because of the lack of a diamond stop and we got to 6C. I could see pitching my spade loser on a heart if we had solid clubs. If we had an agreement that 2S promised support then 2NT is ok.

#27 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-29, 07:59

I started the argument about promises and implies. Clearly you and I have a different idea of what the word means, so I would certainly avoid it in my system write-up.

I think east should rebid 2NT whether it promises, suggests or denies 3 spades. It is important to show your shape, and it can hardly be wrong to bid notrump first when you hold Qx.

- hrothgar

#28 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-30, 14:57

Promises, implies, neither...why guess, if 2/1 is absolute game force, we dont have to hang our selves this round; we can do it later if we please to do so, bid 3 and let prd tell the whole story B-)

#29 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 02:43

View Posthan, on 2011-May-29, 07:59, said:

I started the argument about promises and implies. Clearly you and I have a different idea of what the word means, so I would certainly avoid it in my system write-up.

I think east should rebid 2NT whether it promises, suggests or denies 3 spades. It is important to show your shape, and it can hardly be wrong to bid notrump first when you hold Qx.

But if partner is bidding 2S with a doubleton then he doesn't have a diamond stopper. That is the whole point of this discussion which you don't seem to grasp.

#30 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-June-01, 22:35

At the risk of looking even more ignorant, let me once more try to say what I was saying. For greater clarity I'll try not to try to be funny.

Implies is a fuzzy term. As far as I know, people also use it to mean "by inference". For instance, if I always make a negative double with 3 cards in your major and I pass, then it implies that I have fewer than 3 cards in your major. It seems that in the way you use it here, 2S shows either 3-card support or only 2-card in a fairly balanced hand that doesn't have a diamond stopper. But, wouldn't it be much clearer to describe it as just that?

Your auction up to 3C is also fuzzy. If 2S can perhaps be a doubleton, and 3C can be a doubleton as well, then how will anyone ever know what's going on? With the given hand, I'd rather bid 2NT. If you want to play that 2S doesn't promise a spade fit, then I suggest that 2NT doesn't promise a stopper, but does show something in diamonds, for example Qx. Then, partner can bid 3NT holding Jxx in diamonds, or make a descriptive bid with a small doubleton.

And if partner has made an inspired 2S bid holding KJ xxx Axx KQxxx? Better!

- hrothgar

#31 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-02, 02:22

Can i ask a stupid question ?

If responder has no 3 card support and no stopper in , why is he not using 4th suit ? Is 4th suit forbidden fruit after 2/1 gf auctions ? Does it show 6-5 or something ?

1--2
2----3 ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#32 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-June-25, 08:11

My auction (not 2/1)...

1S = 10-17, 5+ spades
... - 1N = INV+ relay
2D = 4+ hearts
... - 2H = GF relay
2N = 5-4 majors
... - 3C = relay
3H = 5422
... - 3S = relay
4D = max, 4 controls
... - 4N = Q ask
5C = no CQ
... - 5S = SQ?
P = nope

I do not think I would stop in 4S or find the 6NT contract. I think Ben's auction and methods looks the best for this hand.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users