BBO Discussion Forums: No director call: one partner forgets agreement - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No director call: one partner forgets agreement ACBL, Team Game

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-April-04, 12:55

On the same topic as Sathyab's "Ruling when one partner forgot agreement," but with adifferent outcome.
I had this hand at teams...

Txx Q9xxx Qxx xx

Our auction was....

(1NT*) - Pass - Pass - DBL (1NT was 12-14, Dbl showed a strong hand)
Pass - 2 - Pass - 2
Pass - ?

What do you bid?

Well, let me tell you what happened. In the elevator before the event, partner changed out methods on this auction but only againt Weak Notrump (which this was) from Dbl showing a minor or both majors to showing a strong hand, either balanced or source of tricks. I agreed. Then as we got off the elevator he said system on, again I agreed. I remembered that doubled showed a generic big hand, I forgot the system on stuff. So I bid 2 to play. He announced transfer and bid 2. When it came back to me, I passed. When my hand came down the opponents wanted to know who was right, partner was, he had alerted the correct agreement and it was so indicated on our convention card. We went down two not vul, they made 2 EW at the other table, for a push.

Yes, they should have doubled. At the table, I passed 2 rather than making a bid based on knowing partner expected me to have Spades. But later, a question no one asked occurred to me, should I raise to 3 on the given auction assume partner had an unbalanced hand for pulling my sign off in hearts and a lot of spades (since I can not be awoken by the alert). And if I raised to 3, might he bid four with his hand (sorry, team game, I don't remember what he had). We won the match, and even 3Sx down three or four would not have changed the match result, but 4x down five would have. Four spade could go down five with best defense.

Any thoughts? Should the opponents have called the director? If a director came to the table how might he have ruled. If you need to see partner's hand to make a ruling, you will have to create ones and say wtih this hand, I would rule 4 with this one 3, etc, again because I don't remember partner's hand.
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-04, 13:16

View Postinquiry, on 2011-April-04, 12:55, said:

On the same topic as Sathyab's "Ruling when one partner forgot agreement," but with adifferent outcome.
I had this hand at teams...

Txx Q9xxx Qxx xx

Our auction was....

(1NT*) - Pass - Pass - DBL (1NT was 12-14, Dbl showed a strong hand)
Pass - 2 - Pass - 2
Pass - ?

What do you bid?

Well, let me tell you what happened. In the elevator before the event, partner changed out methods on this auction but only againt Weak Notrump (which this was) from Dbl showing a minor or both majors to showing a strong hand, either balanced or source of tricks. I agreed. Then as we got off the elevator he said system on, again I agreed. I remembered that doubled showed a generic big hand, I forgot the system on stuff. So I bid 2 to play. He announced transfer and bid 2. When it came back to me, I passed. When my hand came down the opponents wanted to know who was right, partner was, he had alerted the correct agreement and it was so indicated on our convention card. We went down two not vul, they made 2 EW at the other table, for a push.

Yes, they should have doubled. At the table, I passed 2 rather than making a bid based on knowing partner expected me to have Spades. But later, a question no one asked occurred to me, should I raise to 3 on the given auction assume partner had an unbalanced hand for pulling my sign off in hearts and a lot of spades (since I can not be awoken by the alert). And if I raised to 3, might he bid four with his hand (sorry, team game, I don't remember what he had). We won the match, and even 3Sx down three or four would not have changed the match result, but 4x down five would have. Four spade could go down five with best defense.

Any thoughts? Should the opponents have called the director? If a director came to the table how might he have ruled. If you need to see partner's hand to make a ruling, you will have to create ones and say wtih this hand, I would rule 4 with this one 3, etc, again because I don't remember partner's hand.

I had a lot of sympathy with Sathyab.

Yours is a very interesting general problem. Unfortunately I can't imagine doing anything on your poor hand.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-April-04, 13:27

Partner doubled and then showed a spade suit

You have three card support and ruffing values...
I think that a raise is within the realm of the possible
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-04, 14:22

On the other hand you have a balanced 4-count, partner might have bid 2NT or 3S (depending on methods) if he had something really big and one of the opps opened, all of which vote for pass - I think TD would probably have to do a poll to find out the LAs here.

You're right though, you should act as though partner's shown a real spade suit.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-04, 15:04

My first thought was 3.

My second thought was that I would have passed the double.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-April-04, 15:18

I agree, without the UI I would raise to 3 here. Your opps should have called the TD.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#7 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-04, 15:48

Seems like a good hand to poll without presenting the UI.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-06, 06:41

The UI suggests running away from spades. I think you've already met your ethical obligation by staying in a spade contract. I'm not sure I would force you to raise with only a 4 count. Even though partner has shown a big hand by doubling and bidding, opener is sitting over him. If he had a real monster he could have jumped to 3.

A poll would be reasonable -- put me down as someone who would answer "Pass".

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-April-06, 06:56

pass. I don't see a LA
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-06, 07:57

View Postgwnn, on 2011-April-06, 06:56, said:

pass. I don't see a LA

It depends how strong doubling and then making a free bid is likely to be. If it is a 20 count with reasonable frequency, then pass is not a LA.

#11 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-06, 08:09

I'd pass - for me partner could have a 16 count with a singleton heart. I wouldn't consider any other bid.

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-06, 09:13

With a stiff spade, I'd find a raise. I'd pass in the problem presented.

With two quacks and a balanced hand I'm happy to defend 1N x'd. Maybe not 1N xx'd if it comes back to me :P

I'm not sure 2 promises the moon. With a great spade suit, partner could have bid 3 the 1st time. With a great spade suit and a rock, partner could have bid 3 the 2nd time.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users