• You cannot reply to this topic

Play 6D

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-27, 13:32

LHO leads the K. Plan the Play.

If LHO doubled instead of bidding 2, explain if you would take a different line.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-January-27, 13:57

If lefty X'd, I'd definitely be playing for the major suit squeeze/hearts 3-3 combo.

With lefty bidding clubs, I'm probably doing the same (but maybe you can convince me otherwise). How many diamonds does lefty start with? Does he have the diamond ace?

I'm gonna win the club ace and play a diamond up. If it holds (and diamonds werent 5-0), I'll ruff a club back and play top diamonds until they win the ace, win the return in hand, draw trumps, cash AK spades, AQ hearts. If it loses, I'd do the same thing minus the club ruff. Then I'd make a choice depending on what lefty (and righty...) showed up with.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:03

wyman, on 2011-January-27, 13:57, said:

If lefty X'd, I'd definitely be playing for the major suit squeeze/hearts 3-3 combo.

With lefty bidding clubs, I'm probably doing the same (but maybe you can convince me otherwise). How many diamonds does lefty start with? Does he have the diamond ace?

I'm gonna win the club ace and play a diamond up. If it holds (and diamonds werent 5-0), I'll ruff a club back and play top diamonds until they win the ace, win the return in hand, draw trumps, cash AK spades, AQ hearts. If it loses, I'd do the same thing minus the club ruff. Then I'd make a choice depending on what lefty (and righty...) showed up with.

If you play a diamond up, LHO flies ace and tries the Q. You ruff, play a diamond to the K and LHO shows out pitching a club.
Hi y'all!

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:19

Phil, on 2011-January-27, 14:03, said:

If you play a diamond up, LHO flies ace and tries the Q. You ruff, play a diamond to the K and LHO shows out pitching a club.

Can't you just lead a heart to hand now and run diamonds and then hearts, coming down to x x - x in dummy opposite AKx in hand?

#5 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:26

Eventually

I think all the original possibilities remain.

1) 6 discarding -- 3-3 or major suit squeeze
2) A then -- 3-3 or squeeze LHO in +either black suit
3) discarding , then -- squeeze LHO in the black suits.

3 is possible if LHO showed short in both red suits. Other than that, definitely 2 rather than 1 if LHO doubled, probably 1 if LHO overcalled.

Edit: I see. I overlooked the double squeeze possibility that quiddity points out.

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:30

compound squeeze...

Westie needs 4 hearts, or 7 clubs, or KQJT9 OF CLUBS.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:27

quiddity, on 2011-January-27, 14:19, said:

Can't you just lead a heart to hand now and run diamonds and then hearts, coming down to x x - x in dummy opposite AKx in hand?

Well, I suppose you could, but I'd rather hear a bit more of your thought process on why this is a good idea and what you are catering to especially if you have a different idea for the alternative auction.

There's a time for the chainsaw and there's time for the chisel.
Hi y'all!

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:33

If LHO has 6 clubs, it doesn't look like there's a double squeeze. So my above line will work if LHO is 2=2=1=8 or if hearts are 3-3. If LHO is (41)17 we can execute a major-club squeeze. I guess I'll pitch the DK under lefty's ace (he can't really have 5 diamonds, right?) and after ruffing the club return, I'll play a trump to see the break, and then I'll cash the top two spades and the top two hearts. If lefty shows up with 2 of each, I'll play as mentioned above. If he shows out, I'll play to squeeze lefty between clubs and his major.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:33

After ruffing the second club obviously come back with a heart and run the rest of the trump (cashing a second heart along the way I guess). Pitch the 9 and another spade.

I don't think that I can make it if righty has the long hearts (unless lefty has 7 clubs), since I can't isolate any positional threat. So assume that lefty has the heart guard. Then on the last trump there will be a guard squeeze if he started with HHx. He'll pitch down to stiff spade (if he pitches the club guard we throw a spade and there's a double squeeze around spades), then we can pitch the club, cash a spade, try the hearts, and hook the spade when they don't break. This will require us to guess if lefty started with 3415 or 2416, it will also work fine if he started with 3217 or the like (we'll read him for a club guard and play for double squeeze around spades, this time with the guards reversed). Hopefully we can read the signals/discards and guess his black suit distribution. If there's really absolutely nothing to go on, I will play him for 2416 if he bid 2 and 3415 if he doubled, but I imagine we'll have something else.

#10 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-27, 15:06

Good job to those who got this right.

When LHO shows out the main option seems to be a Type L compound when LHO has all the club pictures or the long heart.

When LHO doubles, I think the compound is a huge favorite, but may just be a triple played as a single when LHO is busy everywhere.

If LHO were to follow to the 2nd or 3rd diamond, then the scales tip to pressure on RHO. This is actually what happened at the table except declarer had the 4 and dummy had the 8 so no guard threat. But RHO had 4-4 in the so a simple worked.
Hi y'all!

#11 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 17:58

Phil, on 2011-January-27, 15:06, said:

When LHO shows out the main option seems to be a Type L compound when LHO has all the club pictures or the long heart.

When LHO doubles, I think the compound is a huge favorite, but may just be a triple played as a single when LHO is busy everywhere.

If LHO were to follow to the 2nd or 3rd diamond, then the scales tip to pressure on RHO. This is actually what happened at the table except declarer had the 4 and dummy had the 8 so no guard threat. But RHO had 4-4 in the so a simple worked.

Maybe I'm dumb and don't know what a type L compound is, but I don't understand how this squeeze works if all we specify is that lefty has 4 hearts (i.e. both black guards are split) without the extra guard threat in the spade suit.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 00:57

inquiry, on 2011-January-27, 14:30, said:

compound squeeze...

Westie needs 4 hearts, or 7 clubs, or KQJT9 OF CLUBS.

Are you guys sure u can make it when LHO has long but not all spots? :)

J2 JT43 A KQJ643 ? You cant make it

EDIT: Nevermind, nonsense due to english not being my native language, i think if "compound" means LHO with HHx, u can . Maybe it is time for me to read a squeeze book to learn the names of them.:P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-28, 03:35

MrAce, on 2011-January-28, 00:57, said:

Nevermind, nonsense due to english not being my native language, i think if "compound" means LHO with HHx, u can. Maybe it is time for me to read a squeeze book to learn the names of them.

No, it's time for people who have read too many squeeze books to start using terms that the rest of us can understand.

And if the squeeze involves squeezing somebody out of a guard so as to allow a finesse against their partner, I'm going to continue to call it a guard squeeze.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2011-January-28, 03:38

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 03:35

In practice, I pretty much always pick the delayed compound type F over the reversed non-simultaneous double played as a triple when the overcaller has the pivot guard. I see that would have worked here, too.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-January-28, 06:12

cherdano, on 2011-January-28, 03:35, said:

In practice

Huh?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 12:54

If LHO has 4-4 in the majors there is no need for more than a simple squeeze. Therefor assume to be 3-3

Give LHO Qxx,JTxx,A,KQJxx

There is no compound squeeze, provided LHO knows something about compound squeeze defense. LHO relinquishes first and keeps the J on the run of the s. However, there could be a guard squeeze if LHO has at least 2 of the 3 honors. On the last , LHO would either come down to a singleton , in which case you discard dummy's last club, cash a top and finesse the 8. (guard squeeze)
The other option is that LHO relinquishes control of , in which case there will be double squeeze after all. You keep your last club in dummy on the last diamond. LHO holds , RHO , nobody can keep s. This works also as a simple squeeze against LHO.
So run s. If LHO discards 2 , at least one of them Q, J or ten, play for the guard squeeze. Otherwise play for the double squeeze.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2011-January-28, 16:49

A. In theory, there are 3 possibilities depending on the Hearts :
1- East has long Hearts : no double squeeze of any sort works(*) :
[(*)Even if we can isolate the menace in West, Oppos can break the squeeze by "simply" returning a Spade when in with the Ace : the second Spade honor is needed to keep an idle Card in North's hand]
1-a we must usually rely on a simple Major squeeze against East ;
1-b there's a very remote possibility of black squeeze against West.
2- Hearts are 3-3 : next board.
3- West has the long Hearts :
note- no communication in => no compound squeeze possible (West simply keeps Clubs/Hearts, East keeps Clubs/Spades)
a- West has HH+ in Spades : guard squeeze, the Heart acting as the unilateral menace against W ;
b- West doesn't have HH+ in spades : we must squeeze him (unlikely) in the rounded suits.

B. In practice the bidding and the club played by East at trick 1 gives us clues : we should normally get the count accurately. Let's suppose the defense actually returned a Spade (Best defense : C2 double squeeze is out). We reach this position (we ruffed 1) :

We play the last Diamond and have to decide :
- normally there's no black squeeze against West (unless East showed an unlikely 2542 in the process, which we should detect in due time: just disc a Heart now and play K)
- if we really think West is the only one to have the rounded suits at this stage (unlikely!), we discard a Spade and cash the last Spade ;
- otherwise we still might have to guess correctly ! For instance if West doubled, we may have to guess between 3415 ou 4315. West discards his last Club leaving the East guard to East, but what is the final position ? if Hearts were 3-3 we discard a black Card and claim. But if West was initially 3415 we must discard the Heart now to finish the working guard-squeeze.

Maybe there's is more about card-reading than squeeze theory on this one.
FD

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users