• You cannot reply to this topic

ATB - weird hand

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-10, 13:05

Matchpoints - None vul

-470. Any thoughts?
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-10, 13:23

North 100%.

6-5 shape, a void in opponents suit, very offensive honour structure. It's a pity the hearts got buried but I'd still pull the double to 3. Maybe partner can work out I have only two black cards and didn't open with a preempt so must have hearts. Hard to blame South - from their point of view it surely looks like opponents have made a mistake.

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-10, 14:32

If 4xS overcall is followed by X,
I guess to punt 3NT even with 2-5-6-0.
When bal 14 starts 1S not X, not 1NT with dbl C-stop,
I too can do as I please, yes?

#4 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-10, 15:03

Hate North's pass over 1NT, and don't like South's double of 3 either. All up, -470 seems a fair result.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-January-10, 15:17

View Post655321, on 2011-January-10, 15:03, said:

Hate North's pass over 1NT, and don't like South's double of 3 either. All up, -470 seems a fair result.

You must not double very often.

With 4 almost certain tricks against 3 and the possibility of a 5th, and a partner who might take a trick, how can you not double 3?

Yes, North should pull. From North's point of view, how can partner beat 3 after merely overcalling 1. Is it possible? Yes. Likely? No. And North has a good place to run.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-10, 18:23

There is really a lot of non-sense in this thread. An auction where North passes with this hand over 1N doesn't belong in this forum. South doesn't have 4 sure tricks againt 3 - opponents who compete to the 3-level sometimes have singletons, you know! Also, we have a fit for partner, which means he might not take any tricks, and doubling for down one doesn't gain many matchptoins. Bidding 3NT on the North hand over the double is absurd.

Sorry to say, but this is the kind of thread why we are having the discussions about the A/E forum not working.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-11, 03:43

View Postcherdano, on 2011-January-10, 18:23, said:

South doesn't have 4 sure tricks againt 3 - opponents who compete to the 3-level sometimes have singletons, you know!

I agree with the rest of your post, but this bit seems unduly pessimistic. I can't think of any layout where East has a major-suit singleton.

Edit: That doesn't mean that I think South should double. As well as the warning sign from the diamond fit, partner's sequence suggests a lack of defence. He's already bid most of my hand.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-11, 04:29

Its MP. South has an excuse for his double whether it is a good or bad excuse. I put the blame % 100 on North. What is his excuse for passing over 1 nt and for thinking pd will take 5 tricks and passing over 3 ? Even if he takes 5 tricks, is +100 as good as likely 3 or 3 ?

Not only because of -470, i see more dangers in passing with N cards over 1 NT for other reasons. North has a hand where a contract also can be very decent if south has a fit, no ?

I wonder, if 2NT by north over 1 NT would show + bicolor in this auction ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-11, 04:28

The whole bidding is quite revolting... lol. Only East bid properly.

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-January-11, 08:21

I blame East for opening with less than 12HCP
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users