BBO Discussion Forums: Is This A Personal Attack? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is This A Personal Attack?

Poll: Is This A Personal Attack? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Is This A Personal Attack?

1. Yes (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

2. No (34 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

3. Maybe (10 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-November-22, 13:19

It is not a personal attack at all, and if someone is so sensitive that someone saying that about them offends them then I'm not sure what they are doing in a not-really-anonymous public forum.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#22 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-November-22, 13:22

I think that deleting a post such as this is a fairly low key approach to solving a potential problem (i.e. if the moderator was unsure, it was probably safer to delete than not). Certainly if the named individual had complained in any way, the deletion would have been absolutely appropriate.

It just does not seem worth getting all worked up over this.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#23 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-November-22, 13:33

BillHiggin, on Nov 22 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

Certainly if the named individual had complained in any way, the deletion would have been absolutely appropriate.

wat?

#24 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-22, 13:54

Jlall, on Nov 22 2009, 02:33 PM, said:

Certainly if the named individual had complained in any way, the deletion would have been absolutely appropriate.

wat?

Pretend that the post actually named me and that my english is not so good. I go to a moderator and say "I think they are making fun of me with this post". It would seem quite appropriate for that moderator to immediately delete the post. It had no substantive content, named an individual and (in this somewhat contrived example) offended that person. Deletion is appropriate.

(Of course it is entirely possible that no such complaint actually happened).

#25 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-November-22, 14:01

BillHiggin, on Nov 22 2009, 02:54 PM, said:

wat?

Pretend that the post actually named me and that my english is not so good. I go to a moderator and say "I think they are making fun of me with this post". It would seem quite appropriate for that moderator to immediately delete the post. It had no substantive content, named an individual and (in this somewhat contrived example) offended that person. Deletion is appropriate.

I don't like this post. I think its offensive.

Can I have it deleted?

You are making a quantum leap from "someone complained" to "someone was named".
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#26 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-November-22, 14:12

wat?

Guess I don't agree, if there is no offensive material you should not delete a post just because someone got offended. There have been many examples of this in BBF history. To me it is obvious that if someone gets offended by something that cannot reasonably be labeled offensive, that is their problem.

The extremely funny thing about this thread is that ritong, a yellow made a post that [in justin's opinion should be deleted if others were - inquiry. edited out because with search funtion it is too easy to pick up context]. His post is still there! Why is one an attack worthy of deletion, and one is still there?

Oh, I forgot, ritong is a yellow.

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2009-November-25, 10:35

#27 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-November-22, 18:21

wat?

Pretend that the post actually named me and that my english is not so good. I go to a moderator and say "I think they are making fun of me with this post". It would seem quite appropriate for that moderator to immediately delete the post.

If your English is not so good then you should probably realize you may be misinterpreting what you should and shouldn't be offended by.

#28 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-22, 18:47

jdonn, on Nov 22 2009, 07:21 PM, said:

wat?

Pretend that the post actually named me and that my english is not so good. I go to a moderator and say "I think they are making fun of me with this post". It would seem quite appropriate for that moderator to immediately delete the post.

If your English is not so good then you should probably realize you may be misinterpreting what you should and shouldn't be offended by.

It matters not one bit what the named individual should or should not do. The issue is strictly one of what should the moderator do in that situation.

#29 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-25, 12:28

Forget it... :-)

#30 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-November-25, 12:32

BillHiggin, on Nov 22 2009, 07:47 PM, said:

jdonn, on Nov 22 2009, 07:21 PM, said:

wat?

It matters not one bit what the named individual should or should not do. The issue is strictly one of what should the moderator do in that situation.

The moderator in such a case should not delete the post, but should tell the individual exactly what I said (that you said doesn't matter one bit). IMO.

#31 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-November-25, 12:56

Now, if I were to specifically name someone, like say an imaginary made-up person named something like Jastin, and point out that his avatar makes him look like a big doofus, that might be a personal attack. But, I would never do that, because that would be wrong. That person, if there is such a person, might feel slighted, or he might actually have a mental problem that explains the bizarre look.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#32 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2009-November-25, 12:59

jdonn, on Nov 22 2009, 05:21 PM, said:

wat?

Hey, we poke fun at each other frequently on these fora. I guess some people are very much offended by jokes directed at their English. I would not be offended by jokes directed at my attempt to use Spanish or Italian (if i could understand the jokes).

But if I should quote a particularly strange post and comment: "This is one reason why I hire someone to assemble an item made elsewhere." -- it might offend the writer, though it was not intended as a personal attack.

So, I am glad I used that line here where I can offend everyone, rather than a particular person.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#33 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-25, 15:29

Hey Y'all need to grow some thicker skin and just get over it :P It you want to see abuse go to usenet where some of the less social conscious have actually created a website or newsgroup to specifically debase someone's bridge skills. I find that offensive and care not whether there is any truth in their posts. And it is not infrequent for ad hominem attacks to show up in RGB but that is usually tossed aside by most posters who realize that such attacks are just signs of the loser of an argument :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#34 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-09, 18:32

I wouldn't consider it a personal attack. I would be surprised it if wasn't true, at least about me. I recognize that most of my posts aren't welcomed but I refused to be deterred and leave this forum to the clique that friends who don't use it say it is.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#35 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-17, 10:03

I didn't see the original post so these comments are in response to the previous posts, rather than to the one which was actually deleted.

When I was in Mexico some years ago a driver moved over on a narrow dusty road to let me by. I went past and beeped what in MY part of the world is recognized as a cheerful thanks. Two Mexican friends instantly collapsed in howls of laughter and told me I had better step on the gas..what I had just said in the beeps was highly insulting and involved his mother.

Hey Y'all need to grow some thicker skin and just get over it  It you want to see abuse go to usenet....(etc) 

It isn't easy trying to balance communication between cultures and I strongly disagee it is up to anyone to " grow thicker skins and get over it". That implies that abusive behaviour is acceptable. It also seems to me to be a very arrogant attitude, especially given the multicultural nature of BBO. I for one, do NOT want to see abuse, and I would hate to see the forums degenerate to the level of the trolls on the internet. It's a slippery slope.

The moderators do a very good job and I appreciate the efforts they make to keep the forums , like BBO itself, a place where everyone may feel welcome.

#36 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-17, 10:16

This post refers to kenrexford

[/test]
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#37 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-January-31, 15:00

View Postbillw55, on 2009-December-17, 10:16, said:

This post refers to kenrexford

[/test]

Hey! I just saw this, and I am quite offended.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#38 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-January-31, 15:07

Can I make a retroactive TOTY?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#39 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-31, 17:24

View Postkenrexford, on 2013-January-31, 15:00, said:

Hey! I just saw this, and I am quite offended.

I'm declaring a statute of limitations.

#40 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 20:05

The beauty of being lalldonn is when you argue with us you don't know who you are attacking!
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users