• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Harder to find good game?

#1 User is offline   adhoc3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-July-29, 10:28

Anyone feels the same that it's a little bit harder than before to find some good games, I mean random game, in BBO?

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-July-29, 11:07

Do you mean games with a high skill level, games with a compatible (with yours) skill level, games where people are nice, or games where people stick around for a bit?

#3 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-29, 17:48

yes, yes, yes and yes?

#4 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2006-July-29, 18:07

Other than the usual advice: find compatible players the hard way and play with them, the only other approach that has sort of worked is the creation of clubs that try for yes,yes,yes and yes.

Clubs like this seem to generate hard feelings.

Anyway, i'm open to ideas. social ratings, anyone?

#5 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-29, 20:50

Actually, I find great games all the time. No complaints here.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2006-July-30, 02:36

I'm with Matt on this one. If anything I think it's gone the other way: I'm finding more good quality games rather than struggling to find them.

OBviously time of day makes a difference.

#7 User is offline   adhoc3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-30, 09:46

I dont believe social rating, if it means giving rates to others. If people is honest giving rates, they'd be honest to their level and behave better.

Looking for friends is much easier way, you can always find them ON BBO :angry:

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2006-July-30, 10:11

It could be useful to be able to restrict players to those who have had fewer than # suspensions from BBO or players who have left fewer than # incomplete boards/tournaments.

Maybe TD's could share ban lists too. Running tournaments with players who simply get fed up and leave is not much fun at all. I'd like to be able to set my own #played/deserted ratio, the one used by BBO seems far too lenient.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-30, 16:18

hmmm... perhaps i misunderstood the original post. it is not difficult to find a good/pleasant game with friends, but that typically fits the definition of friends...

random games, on the other hand, are quite different. People lie on their profiles about ability, about conventions they claim to play. they leave in middle of hands, etc.

i can't really speak for what it was a long time ago, but anytime i try to play at a random table i stand up annoyed, frustradet and dismayed.

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2006-July-30, 18:58

Below the expert level it can be a crap shoot to find a decent game, ie at the advanced level. Keep in mind that some players consider theirselves to be advanced or even expert, just bcuz they took a winning finesse once.

Players constantly leave in the middle of hands, and worse yet in the middle of defence or even as declarer when they've bid (often due to gross error from dummy or a missunderstanding) to a hopeless contract.

There should be stats available as to how often a player (yes in MBC) leaves prior to completion of the hand.

The first player to leave in the partnership should be the one punished. There should be no punishment for leaving without taking a bid. Dummy shouldn't be punished at all for leaving. Declarer and the first defender to leave should be punished. By punished, I don't mean suspended, I mean there need to be stats as to what percentage of hands, players have bailed out of.

To get good games, build up a BIG friends list of players who bid reasonably like you do and who are reasonably compatable. You can have a real good game if 3 or 4 of the players are friends.

When you're side is hosting and its obvious that one of the opps is a good player paired with an idiot, ask him/her if he'd like a better pd (privately).

For me, being American, the best time for good games is later into my evenings, but that gets a bit late for me usually.

Also, what is the point of being an advanced level player who speaks fluent English (and likely a couple other langs) but who lists his level as private, and lists absolutely nothing as to what he/she plays and needs to be asked 3 times as to what system and carding ?!!? I encounter this MUCH too often.

.. neilkaz ..

#11 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2006-August-02, 12:40

Interesting thought about the "leaving within a hand" value :o (clever JB!). Since we see our metric for posts in here, how about a metric for quitters? :angry: Some scale or level relative to hands played that would easily identify them. :blink: This is one of my main beefs. I usually start a table and filter incoming to only adv. or better. Up to me to police my table. :( Seeing an "expert" with a hi quit value would definitely help me choose. :D
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#12 User is offline   julie5607 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-03, 04:46

I have suggested this before but it seems a reasonable time to suggest it again. I think it would be a good idea if the there were another setting that the host could use when creating a table - suggested table level. Since people self-rate and hosts have to make snap decisions about players requesting a seat, it seems to me that if the host could make it clear that the suggested table level is beginner, intermediate, expert or advanced players seeking a game could filter tables with empty seats by suggested level. I know that some people do this with table notes but it seems to me that many don't read the notes or ignore them, and it is hard to check the self-rating of players at tables with empty seats before the seats are filled.

This suggestion would actually benefit the lower level players more than the upper level players, as they would more easily be able to find a table at their comfort level. Unfortunately it wouldn't do much to address the problem of table hoppers but at least should keep the self-professed "world class" away from the newbies who are just seeking a nice social game at an unintimidating level.

Julie

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2006-August-03, 22:06

julie5607, on Aug 3 2006, 11:46 AM, said:

at least should keep the self-professed "world class" away from the newbies who are just seeking a nice social game at an unintimidating level.

I hadn't realized this was much of a problem... I thought the problem was more keeping them away from the real world class players...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   julie5607 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-04, 05:31

Mgoetz -

Of course it's a problem. As a matter of fact it's a much bigger problem than the one you mention. Most true world class players are more than capable of holding their own when an idiot sits at their table. They have a hand or two of idiocy and move on, one way or another.

The real issues in finding games at BBO are:

1. The little old ladies and newbies, many of whom are not computer literate enough to fill out a profile or figure out how to display table notes. They log in and sit in the first available seat, or start a new table and leave it open for any takers. What happens to them is that after a hand or two they do something like lead 4th best from kqjxx against a suit contract, or some other move that is so novice and insane that it infuriates their partner and they get BLASTED. These people are not capable of contacting abuse, and they really don't know what they did wrong. I have a few clients in this category, ex-MSN players. I try to direct them to the MSN refugees club but they are not computer savvy enough to find it every time. They don't like BBO at all because every time they play people are "so rude" to them. This suggestion would help them find more appropriate seats, especially if someone could set their filters for them to only see empty beginner and intermediate tables.

2. The bulk of the players at BBO who have a reasonable idea of their actual playing level and are looking for a pick-up game have an incredibly difficult time finding the right table. Look at what happens when you start to look at empty seats. You see maybe 30 or 40 tables, constantly shifting and changing. You rest your mouse on the players at one table and see two intermediates and one World Class - you were looking for an advanced table, forget that. You look at another table, see two advanced and a novice - hmm, is that novice one of those experts who think it's funny to self rate as a novice? By the time you decide to risk it the seat is taken. The tables shift constantly, it takes time to read the profiles of the players in the seat opposite the one you want, let alone those of the other players, and the seats are gone before you can make a decision. There are also a ton of tables with no note and one player with no profile - how can you even think to sit there?

How much easier would it be if the host had to set a table level before opening the table? That way the average player can at least easily see the level the host INTENDS the game to be played at, and if a player comes to sit who is way off base (too weak OR too strong) they can politely be told they are at the wrong level table and to please find one that is more appropriate.

Of course self rating of table levels has the same problems as self rating of play levels (I would expect rampant level inflation, all intermediate tables should be beginner, expert tables should be advanced, etc) and plenty of idiots who self-suggest "world class" without any bridge skills to speak of. But, the bulk of the players who are just looking for a good game at the proper level should find this to be a much better system than what is in place already.

And the real world class can take care of themselves, as they do already.

Julie

#15 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2006-August-04, 09:15

A thought. Perhaps at the login screen, when you check to remember password, there could be a "choose site" option for newcomer, social, competitive etc.. Then people would automatically be directed where there are most happy.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#16 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2006-August-04, 10:04

My 9-year-old nephew, a true novice, finds it very difficult to find games in the MBC. The 'Help find me a game' button just appears to drop him into a game with advanced and private rated players, which is no good for anyone.

On the upside, he does like playing Minibridge (which is more suitable at this point) and enjoys telling all the advanced players that they do not have to bid, just tell him how many points they have :rolleyes:. And he is building a list of friendly players who do not abandon the table as soon as they realise what Minibridge is.

P
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#17 User is offline   adhoc3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-09, 07:02

To find good game:

1 Build friend list
2 Carefully choose players: profiled is usually much better than those don't
3 Police my table, asking those rude or fake ones leave
4 Join in a proper running private club for qualified players only
5 Remark players as far as I can, but sometimes I was wrong about others

That's all I can do.

#18 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-09, 20:34

what about for stability of players staying at a table, if someone leaves 3 tables in 20 minutes he is auto barred from sitting at a table for two hours or even an hour

this may help keep people at a table, one problem solved

how about auto ranking from other people, everyone has a set of buttons on a pop up beginner, int, adv , expert and everyone on BBO can click an option once only and it accumulates a ranking based on peoples perceptions of their ability

I am sure that would cause controversy but overall I think you would get some reasonable idea of the rank of the exageraters online

somethink like

Sceptic
beg 10 votes
int 20 votes
adv 00 votes
exp 00 votes

and a number next to each that anyone that choses to rank you adds up so you may get some feed back as to what level that player is, also by only allowing one person to rank you someone that wants to be a twat and rank everyone cant do much damage to your overall rank in the long run

what about an enforced ranking showing up next to their BBO name i.e.
serious player
social player
I wont play with beginners
I only play with experts
and I am sure you can think of a stream of other titles to put in there

#19 User is offline   adhoc3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-09, 21:49

somethink like

Sceptic
beg  10 votes
int    20 votes
adv  00 votes
exp  00 votes

Sounds great!

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2006-August-10, 00:53

sceptic's suggestion seems to have some merit, although arguably it gets a bit complicated. Anyway, I think a player should have the opportunity to opt out of such a ranking system. If he wants to remain completely "private" then why should he not do so? It may make it more difficult for him to get a game, but that's his problem. No-one is forcing you to play with someone who flags himself as private. Or, if they are forcing you, then it is questionable what merit there is in knowing the rank.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users