BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to Partners Opening Bid. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to Partners Opening Bid. Four card support and long side suit..

#1 User is offline   ErnieT 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-July-06, 08:39

You hold: Void KQ82 K10 KQ109864 and partner open one heart. You are playing 2/1 methods. Does the form of scoring make any difference?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-06, 09:08

I would respond 3 SJS which in 2/1 could easily be specific to this sort of hand, if not playing this, 3 splinter is a possibility as is 2N.

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-06, 12:26

People have a lot of different methods here. I would bid 2, but many players would systemically have to bid 2NT. I think a splinter is not a good choice.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-July-06, 12:42

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-July-06, 12:26, said:

People have a lot of different methods here. I would bid 2, but many players would systemically have to bid 2NT. I think a splinter is not a good choice.

Splinter to me is a bad second to 3 fit, but our splinters are specifically a void, singletons via 2N

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-06, 13:18

The problem with a splinter isn't the void, it's that splinters are supposed to be three-suited hands. Partner will spot their lack of club support and sign off, and then you will have no idea what to do. The bid hands partner captaincy and on this hand we should not do this.

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-July-06, 14:55

I'd show 4-card support immediately; in this case I use 3 as 4-card support slam invitational with some void. 2NT/2 also seems appropriate if that's what you use.

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-06, 15:42

Normally with a good second suit I would bid it, because that will lead to more useful information than 2NT and finding out if partner has a singleton or not (how will that help?)

In this case though I'm a bit nervous about the opponents getting into the auction with spade bids.. so I think I'd go with 2NT to show the fit and potentially get in an exclusion bid.

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-06, 18:41

I splinter. The only club I care about is the ace, and I should be able to find that out in due course. (Yes I show my void with 4 (or 4N playing kickback) if partner signs off.)

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-07, 08:53

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-July-06, 13:18, said:

The problem with a splinter isn't the void, it's that splinters are supposed to be three-suited hands. Partner will spot their lack of club support and sign off, and then you will have no idea what to do. The bid hands partner captaincy and on this hand we should not do this.

FWIW I disagree. Splinters are supposed to show shortage and fit, and that is what we have.
I would be surprised if partner did try to sign off in 4 knowing that the opponents have a spades fit and that we expect a control-bid unless he really dislikes his hand in the context. Three of the boss suit puts pressure on the opponents while leaving partner perfectly placed to control bid the minor controls we need.

The alternative is the more descriptive 2 GF, but I don't see huge benefits here: he's unlikely to have 4 card fit and has no way to show the J, while the Ace will emerge neatly over a splinter.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-July-09, 15:16

It’s pretty standard, in NA at least, for splinters to be limited to a minimum opening hand (the range: between a good 4 card limit and a minimum opening hand). This is because you’ve consumed a lot of bidding space and the narrow strength parameters allow partner to assess slam chances more accurately than when responder is unlimited.

Plus there’s a huge difference between a void and a stiff, in terms of slam chances. Opener will/should assume a loser in the splinter suit.

In my partnership, we can splinter to show a void in a minor, but not the other major, but I’d not use a void splinter here anyway…this hand is FAR too strong.

In most instances I bid my side suit rather than hauling out J2N…I want partner to think favourably of such holdings as Kx or Qx in my suit wh3n I show slam interest. Here, I’m not concerned…he’s going to like the club ace if he has it, almost without worrying about my hand.

Playing simple J2N is awful…use virtually any more modern/sophisticated method and you’ll never go back.

But I’m using 2N anyway, unless my partner prefers 2S as Jacoby in hearts…one partner I play with dies but in my main partnership we use 2S for something else.

My current J2N uses: 3C all non awful minimums. 3D relays for shape. 3D 5 card major, extras, 3H relays. 3H 6+ suit, extras, 3S relays. 3S some void, 3N relays. 3N balanced 17-19. Pretty much slam force, cuebids/keycard ensue in due course.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users