how many is too many?

#21 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-January-14, 13:27

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-January-14, 03:14, said:

I've read the Gumperz' articles about three years ago and really like them, I recommend reading the full 9-part series. He raises a lot of good points about evaluating preempts, and was part of my motivation for writing up my own thoughts on preempts at the time (though somewhat dated).

I think the 4 gadget is fine here and you may as well use it, but the odds that it's going to get you to slam are poor. You'll be volunteering playing in 5 dozens of times for every slam you find this way, though at IMPs that might be worth it (while at MPs I'm not so sure). If preempter has outside strength it is very likely to be in clubs. I'd probably still bid it though, but I'm not sure if the expected score from using it is positive. In general I think people put too much constructive emphasis on their preempts, sacrificing frequency to make sure partner can make a safe slam try (and drop us at the 5-level, almost always).

I'm enjoying the articles very much. The discussions are based on IMP strategy and at the moment, I play almost exclusively MP. I think allows me slightly less disciplined preempts or perhaps I am simply continuing my bad habits.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#22 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-January-14, 14:44

View Postjillybean, on 2024-January-14, 13:27, said:

I'm enjoying the articles very much. The discussions are based on IMP strategy and at the moment, I play almost exclusively MP. I think allows me slightly less disciplined preempts or perhaps I am simply continuing my bad habits.
I'm not sure. Preempts at IMPs have very favourable odds. When they win they tend to win big (opponents getting to the wrong strain, missing a game or going off, staying out of the auction and getting a double partscore swing, sometimes even missing a slam) while the most frequent losses are from getting to the wrong partscore (wrong strain when partner is short and we had outside support, 1NT is the par but we opened at a higher level). Risking a partscore to create a game swing is very attractive at IMPs, less so at MPs. Also going one or two off, doubled or no, can be a bottom at MPs but is usually 'only' up to 6 IMPs out. The rare disaster preempts, going for -500 or worse, are less of a concern at MPs but they are very rare, so I think they don't move the needle much in terms of risk and reward considerations.

That being said, I do change up my preemptive style between IMPs and MPs. At MPs I'm much more aware of the fact that a different strain may well be our best one, so I'm less aggressive when it comes to ignoring side four card major suits and slightly more conservative when looking at suit quality. There is also quite a big difference between 2-level, 3-level and 4-level openings. Still I think aggressive preempts are a long term winner, but the hands that qualify are slightly different as the scoring considerations are different.

#23 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-January-14, 15:58

View Postjillybean, on 2024-January-14, 13:27, said:

As a general rule, you should compete somewhat more at MPs when Love All and perhaps slightly less at Game All. I don't think you need to change style much at all when one side or the other is vulnerable.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users