Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pass card launched

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-November-23, 15:41

MP, neither side vulnerable, both playing 2/1.
South (an expert player) is Dealer and passes.
West (a promising beginner) opens 1.
North (an experienced player occasional partner of South) launches the Pass card in air, so that it falls face up on table.
What (if anything) does this gesture suggest about North's hand?

Their agreements over a (first seat) hearts opening would probably be that Double is takeout with 4 card spades or a strong hand, 1NT natural with stop, 2 Michaels.

Asking here because I am primarily interested in your judgement as players - please distinguish between opponent and partner if necessary - rather than the law issues (which are clear). Although generic comments on how frequent and tolerable (or not) such behaviour is are welcome.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-November-23, 16:04

What a truly bizarre limitation on double! Say one had AKx x QJxxx Axxx. Do I really have to pass 1H?

Well, if I can show this approximate shape and strength by tossing the pass card, I guess passing is ok😀

Seriously? If I ever tossed the pass card like that (I don’t think I ever have or would, other than in a friendly Saturday night game, accompanied by wine and, on occasion, a toke) I’d be saying something about how I’ve had to pass almost every hand….and indicating very little about this actual hand other than that I don’t have a bid or call other than pass.

But if my LHO was not a good friend and/or it was too early in the session for him to have been passing throughout (and thus frustrated), I’d be annoyed and would infer that he has good values without 4+ spades and not a very strong hand. I’d sure hope my RHO is ethical but I’d be reluctant to call the TD. In a meaningful event, I’d at least consider asking RHO to confirm that his partner had done this.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-23, 16:51

It might suggest:
- they are averaging 20% for the session and he is beyond caring.
- they are averaging 80% for the session and he doesn't care for the opposite reason.
- he has averaged four high-card points for the session and is looking at another Yarborough.
- he has a heart pre-empt.
- he has a big hand with hearts.
- he has a two-suiter. One suit is hearts.
- he has a weak jump over-call, but they have agreed to play intermediate jump overcalls.

It does suggest that he is a d**K.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-November-23, 18:51

I'm glad to see this discussion.

Mike, during the Vancouver Sectional did you not play against a gent who at times sighs, grunts and tosses cards on the table?
Or perhaps he doesn't do this against good players.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-November-23, 19:11

View Postjillybean, on 2023-November-23, 18:51, said:

I'm glad to see this discussion.

Mike, during the Vancouver Sectional did you not play against a gent who at times sighs, grunts and tosses cards on the table?
Or perhaps he doesn't do this against good players.

I don’t recall. Frankly, we played so badly (and seemingly unluckily but usually being unlucky is as a result of poor play anyway) that by the end I wasn’t paying much attention😀
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-26, 03:22

I think I figured out a good part of what was going on. This happened mid tournament and the pair in question were doing well. But on the previous board they had scored a near bottom when North strong in opponent's diamonds failed to raise spades to game. Probably both felt the other was at fault and now the pass card launch was a gesture of amusement at being in a similar situation and of defiance to CHO.

Still reprehensible, but at least comprehensible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users