BBO Discussion Forums: To Accept or Not, this is the problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To Accept or Not, this is the problem When do you accept game invitation

Poll: [spades]KQ987 [hearts]765 [diamonds]AQ65 [clubs]J (10 member(s) have cast votes)

The bidding goes 1[spades] (2[hearts]) 3[hearts] (P) to you.

1. 3[spades] (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. 4[spades] (7 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   hermanx 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-April-11, 21:04

Red vs White You are the dealer and have: KQ852 643 AQ43 J The bidding goes 1 (2) 3 (P) to you.

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-April-12, 09:19

Think I got it right. Also, note that doesn't work - [ he ] (without spaces) does.

So, what does your minimum openers look like? Your maximum opener (playing Precision)? What does partner expect you to go to game on? IMPs or MPs? Do I need a top/am I significantly behind in the match? What are your agreements on "invite heavy/accept light" or vice versa?

Assuming standard, I don't have extras, I bid 3. Partner will raise with more. She has not invited - she has limit *or better*.

Now, the hand is much better if she has a stiff heart rather than two (or worse, minor honour doubleton). The hand is better if partner's cards aren't wasted in clubs. But we can't figure that out on this auction, and partner (who can't know about the clubs, but certainly has a good idea about the value of her hearts, and whether she has 3 or 4 or 5 spades) might.

Because of the unknowables, I think this is borderline. If I was looking for a swing, or if I knew the opponent in my seat at the other table was aggressive, I might just blast it. I certainly wouldn't blame partner if she had this hand and just went. But I like partners, and I assume they have good bidding judgement. So when I don't know the answer, sometimes they do.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-April-12, 12:59

mycroft, on 2023-April-12, 09:19, said:

note that doesn't work - [ he ] (without spaces) does.

Do you mean that in a topic title the latter works and the former does not?
If so double thanks, because it's not obvious and unless I am mistaken it is impossible to edit the title once OP is published.

#4 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-April-12, 13:56

Wow, interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Because I have no idea what I mean, now - it looks like [ hearts ] does work. I did not know that.

I've always used the two-character version, because that's what "use full editor" used when I pulled it up, and it worked.

You could be absolutely right, in which case, I apologize to the OP!

But still, using the hand viewer (the strange icon that looks like a canadian flag with a spade on it) is easier than anything else, both to write and ensure there are things like "13 cards" and "no duplicates", and to read. So I have a habit of doing that conversion when I see it.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-April-12, 16:22

mycroft, on 2023-April-12, 13:56, said:

Wow, interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Because I have no idea what I mean, now - it looks like [ hearts ] does work. I did not know that.

I've always used the two-character version, because that's what "use full editor" used when I pulled it up, and it worked.

You could be absolutely right, in which case, I apologize to the OP!

I trust you enough to have risked the two character version in a title before you even replied: unfortunately it did not work :)
My tentative conclusion is that there is no way to insert suit symbols in a title, just as there is no way to modify a title.
Happy if someone else can refine/correct this.

#6 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-12, 16:57

pescetom, on 2023-April-12, 16:22, said:

just as there is no way to modify a title.

Click Edit -> Click Use Full Editor -> modify the title.

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-12, 19:53

I do not see a problem myself. Yes, you are at red/white, so you should bid, or try to bid vulnerable games - the OP does not state whether this is MP or IMPs. But you have to trust partner here. Partner has asked a question. Is your hand any better than a minimum standard 1 opener? Marginally, as the main cards are in the long suits, but there's a distinct lack of substance beyond that.

I think one day 3 will be right, on another 4. It is one for a simulation, and with his 3 bid what precisely - or not - is partner promising? That needs clarifying also.

#8 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-13, 05:08

hermanx, on 2023-April-11, 21:04, said:

Red vs White You are the dealer and have: KQ852 643 AQ43 J The bidding goes 1 (2) 3 (P) to you.

After the noncompetitive 1 - 1NT ; 2 - 3 , I'd bid game. On the general principle of straining to accept with a singleton.

Is this so different?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users