• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 part poll

#21 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-27, 10:40

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-April-27, 01:43, said:

If you've not discussed your defence, are you sure 2 is natural ? I can imagine people having discussed their defences to 5-5 2 suited bids and being unsure if this applies.

Ekren is pretty uncommon here but is played by a few.

To GLithin: pre-alerting is not as common here, there is a section front and top of the convention card which is effectively "unusual stuff you need to know about" and it's in there. If we sit down at a table, we tend to say "Acol, weak and non standard 2 bids" as our 2 is particularly unusual.

Maybe that is the minimum requirement under the local regulations. Nonetheless I am not sure you get the moral high ground when the opps stumble somewhat when confronted with something highly unusual at the table in a club level game without a proper pre-warning. if you begin each round with "Our 2 level openings are particularly unusual and you might want to spend a couple of minutes discussing your defence before we start" or the like, you will probably get more sympathy. "Non-standard 2 bids" sounds more like Goldilocks 2s than Assumed Fit and complete germ warfare.

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-April-27, 16:34

I agree with Gilithin. The Mickey Mouse explanation given sounds like sharp practice to me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-April-27, 23:20

View Postthe hog, on 2023-April-27, 16:34, said:

I agree with Gilithin. The Mickey Mouse explanation given sounds like sharp practice to me.

It's not an explanation (which is full at the time), it's the start of round thing, and is more than you'll get from most people here. Acol, weak no trump, standard carding is typical F2F here whatever 2 bids are being played (some will say multi if playing one). Obviously online you get more, and we give more.

#24 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-April-28, 01:55

"It's not an explanation". This is the first thing you posted that I agree with.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users