BBO Discussion Forums: Add speicific question to explain bid button - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Add speicific question to explain bid button

#1 User is offline   tomkron 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-March-27, 06:59

In a tournament this weekend, I hit the "explain" button to get more detail about the alerted bid. The new explanation didn't answer my actual question, so I hit "explain" again, but the newer explanation still didn't answer my actual question. This gets frustrating. It would be nice if the "explain" button had an entry field where a specific question could be asked of the bidder who alerted.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-March-27, 09:34

This is what "chat to player" is for. After the explanation is insufficient, you can ask the bidder the specific question and get a specific answer.

The other problem - and one that very much triggers the response you got - is that because the new BBO UX was designed first for tablets, to close the explain bubble, you press anywhere *but* the big friendly "close" button. The one that actually triggers "please explain - again". So they actually think you're just another tricked by the bad UI and just repeat what they said.

But specific questions are done in private chat (and hopefully responded to in private chat as well).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-March-27, 11:12

View Postmycroft, on 2023-March-27, 09:34, said:

This is what "chat to player" is for. After the explanation is insufficient, you can ask the bidder the specific question and get a specific answer.

The other problem - and one that very much triggers the response you got - is that because the new BBO UX was designed first for tablets, to close the explain bubble, you press anywhere *but* the big friendly "close" button. The one that actually triggers "please explain - again". So they actually think you're just another tricked by the bad UI and just repeat what they said.

But specific questions are done in private chat (and hopefully responded to in private chat as well).

I'm 100% with you about the UI dismiss=explain problem (which has been constructively criticized here many times to no avail) and how that deters people from offering further explanation.
But one of the other ways in which the UI is bad is that you are allowed to press Explain when an explanation has already been supplied, without being able to specify what further explanation you are looking for. As OP suggests, this is hopelessly unproductive and also vaguely accusatory ("give me the real explanation"). Yes of course there should be a dialogue, but it would be better if it remained within the Explanation bubble/context.
I don't think private chat is an adequate substitute, for several reasons:
- players are not obliged to read or respond to private chat
- players on tablets or phones often cannot see private chat (by more or less intentional configuration of UI)
- Directors and partner cannot see the final explanation
(and yes we shouldn't be asking for partner's benefit, but if she has to ask the same questions too then opponent may rightly become annoyed).

I suspect you play more with friends and acquaintances than with random pairs in BBO tournaments, where I can testify that it is quite rare to receive a reply to private chat asking for an explanation (and quite frequent for Director to boot you when you complain).

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-March-28, 10:32

Thanks for that. I absolutely agree there should be better UX around this.

I was just pointing out the correct behaviour per the current UX. I agree it is not intuitive, and people do not know how to do it.

You are right, I play a lot more in games with people that know me, and in virtual clubs that know me. I believe your experience. I wish it were better. (And I do enjoy giving them "opponent-quality" explanations about my system, once I realize that's the way they choose to play. Of course, it goes way over most's head, and the rest either get it or complain that *we're* the ones that aren't explaining well. At which point I refer to "unlike, say, diamond raise?")

I also remember the major qualifying tournament where I could not get a response that matched actual play to "what's your weak NT defence". Of course, because I was who I am, the director took my concern seriously, but I expect anyone else would have been treated the same way by that director.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   chigal64 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-March-29, 10:43

my problem is i dont always have the red button or explain line. no one has an answer Also if you in a tournament, you cant ask

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-March-29, 10:59

View Postchigal64, on 2023-March-29, 10:43, said:

my problem is i dont always have the red button or explain line. no one has an answer Also if you in a tournament, you cant ask

In most tournaments you can ask, only some automated tournaments disable this I think (under the assumption that everyone plays GiB 2/1, or whatever).

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-March-30, 16:56

View Postchigal64, on 2023-March-29, 10:43, said:

You must be playing in the "express" tournaments. Everyone is supposed to be playing the GIB system. Since there are no private partnership agreements, there's no ability to alert or ask for explanations. And no chat is allowed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users