BBO Discussion Forums: The meaning of Ace lead against King lead - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The meaning of Ace lead against King lead

#1 User is offline   cnszsun 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2005-June-28, 06:17

At NT contract, i know the importance of clear meaning of leading A or K, like leading Ace asking for unblock otherwise count, leading King for attitude; but at suit contract, how to define it effectively?
I asked this question because at a recent hand i have to decide which minor suit to cash at critical moment, i led club king at first trick (with AKJxx in my hand), i want to know whether such kind of agreement exists. Thx in advance.
Michael Sun

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-28, 06:58

Some play that in cashout situations that the Ace asks for attitude while the King asks for count. For simplicity, I use this method against contracts at the 5-level or higher, but by agreement could extend it to any obvious cashout situation.

WinstonM
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   cnszsun 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2005-June-28, 07:06

Winstonm, on Jun 28 2005, 07:58 AM, said:

Some play that in cashout situations that the Ace asks for attitude while the King asks for count.  For simplicity, I use this method against contracts at the 5-level or higher, but by agreement could extend it to any obvious cashout situation.

WinstonM

I didn't ask about cashout situation, but the definition of opening lead.
Michael Sun

#4 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-28, 07:20

A for attitude K for count is what most play around me. I prefer always A. (k shows the Q)

#5 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-28, 07:34

I know two variations against a suit contract:

1) The A asks for a suit preference signal while the K asks for attitude (when the Q is in dummy attitude is count of course).

2) The A shows a side singleton while the K denies it so if you cash the ace and then switch you are switching to a singleton if you lead the K and switch your switch is not a singleton. This may help pd determine the best defense.

Luis
The legend of the black octogon.

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-28, 08:45

I asked this question because at a recent hand i have to decide which minor suit to cash at critical moment

So sorry. The above led me to believe this was a cashout situation. To clarify for what it's worth, on opening lead against 5-level or higher contracts, I use the Ace asks for attitude and the King asks for count.

On another topic, your RHO opens 5C and all pass. You hold:
Axxx
Axxx
xxx
xx

Asssuming partner holds both major-suit kings, how would he signal? Length and attitude would both be critical to know.

WinstonM
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-28, 09:41

ace shows AK. K is KQ or AK tight. Unless you are leading against a 5 level or higher contract, or a doubled contract.

for what its worth K asks for unblock/count vs NT and A/Q ask for attitude is much better. in standard methods if your partner leads the king and dummy has xxx and you have Jxx it is impossible to signal. Partner might have AKTx or KQ9x. Either way you go might be wrong. Playing the other method, if pard had AKTx he'd lead the ace and you'd discourage, with KQ9x he'd lead the Q and you'd encourage.

#8 User is offline   fifee 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-28, 17:41

Jlall, on Jun 28 2005, 10:41 AM, said:

ace shows AK. K is KQ or AK tight. Unless you are leading against a 5 level or higher contract, or a doubled contract.

for what its worth K asks for unblock/count vs NT and A/Q ask for attitude is much better. in standard methods if your partner leads the king and dummy has xxx and you have Jxx it is impossible to signal. Partner might have AKTx or KQ9x. Either way you go might be wrong. Playing the other method, if pard had AKTx he'd lead the ace and you'd discourage, with KQ9x he'd lead the Q and you'd encourage.

At NT, I prefer Queen lead asks for unblock if you are holding the Jack. I would lead Q from KQT9 or something similar.
Lord, help me choose the words I use and make them short and sweet.
We never know from day to day which ones we'll have to eat.

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-29, 00:34

I am suggesting an improvement on this is leading the KING to ask for unblock. With KQT9 you could lead the K for the same effect. This is definitely an improvement over standard for the reason mentioned earlier.

#10 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-29, 00:59

Jlall, on Jun 28 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

Most excellent idea that I haven't heard before.
--Ben--

#11 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-June-29, 02:52

inquiry, on Jun 29 2005, 06:59 AM, said:

Jlall, on Jun 28 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

Most excellent idea that I haven't heard before.

Justin's suggestion for AK leads vs NT is widely used in Italy among competitive players, although there is a fair share still using A for count/unblock.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#12 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-29, 10:09

jlall has something there we were talking about this the other day....old fashioned way Ace against three notrump as for unblock of honor.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users