• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-10, 11:55

Scoring: IMP

Auction:
(W)(N)(E)(S)
1N P 2C P
2D P P ?

You play Landy in direct seat. The opponents NT range is 15-17. Do you take any action? What is your reasoning?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-10, 12:11

pass because for the life of me i cannot gather any reason not to.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-10, 12:24

scoob, on Jun 10 2005, 01:11 PM, said:

ditto

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-10, 12:36

mike777, on Jun 10 2005, 02:24 PM, said:

ditto

Your side has at least 17 hcp, meaning your partner is loaded for bear with a good 14 or so (can be stronger) behind notrump opener. You have entries in the form of diamond ruffs, and a potential source of tricks, in the form of the some clubs. So there is at least reason to consider balancing here. Remeber, the less you got, the more your partner has, and you have a long suit.

On the other hand, this can easily be a misfit hand. To find your fit, you will have to double for takeout, and a couple bad things might happen... 1) partner might very well leave it in thinking you have more (he will know you can't have too much), and 2) parnter might bid too high, thinking you are a sane individual and have a bit more.

So after all this I pass also, but if it was matchpoints, I would roll the dice with a double.
--Ben--

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-10, 12:51

pass is a no brainer to me. I like to compete for the partscore, even at imps, but with this hand the risk/reward is just way off to me.

note: if you X pard could easily pass. lho has both majors (garbage stayman), rho has at least 2 in both majors. Partner is going to have clubs or diamonds or just a random shape like 3343 etc. He will often pass

#6 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-10, 13:04

If I was going to balance, I think I'd bid 3. This is because:

(1) I don't really want to hear partner pass my double... he will expect a better hand.
(2) It seems unlikely that we want to play in a major given the auction.
(3) Perhaps partner can infer from my failure to double 2 for the lead, that my hand is not particularly good.

On the other hand, any balancing action is a risky proposition. This could easily be a misfit hand, and opener will have no problem doubling if it is. In real life, I think I'd pass, although 3 is tempting at matchpoints.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2005-June-10, 13:45

inquiry, on Jun 10 2005, 01:36 PM, said:

ditto

Your side has at least 17 hcp, meaning your partner is loaded for bear with a good 14 or so (can be stronger) behind notrump opener. You have entries in the form of diamond ruffs, and a potential source of tricks, in the form of the some clubs. So there is at least reason to consider balancing here. Remeber, the less you got, the more your partner has, and you have a long suit.

On the other hand, this can easily be a misfit hand. To find your fit, you will have to double for takeout, and a couple bad things might happen... 1) partner might very well leave it in thinking you have more (he will know you can't have too much), and 2) parnter might bid too high, thinking you are a sane individual and have a bit more.

So after all this I pass also, but if it was matchpoints, I would roll the dice with a double.

NV playing aggessive DONT I would have expected p to bid something over 1nt. Again getting in and out the first time. Of course you must live with X sometimes..but so many players play that as takeout here not penalty so we have a chance to escape and if not we take our lumps. More to gain than lose I think but many disagree. In any event we have less reason to balance NOW.

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-10, 17:53

i agree totally w/ ben on this one... i'd pass but only cause it's imps.. if this was matchpoints, i'd double
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-10, 19:57

I wouldn't bid at imps or matchpoints.

Opps used garbage stayman (appropriately named IMO), and you have no assurance that they landed in the correct place, especially at MPs. The hand just became random. Why put yourself at the end of a shotgun when LHO now knows essentially what to do over any action you might take?
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#10 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2005-June-10, 20:09

i don't think you'll win very many matchpoints, as a general rule, passing 2d.. tho it could be right on any given hand
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#11 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-10, 20:21

Are you that sure that the opps are in their optimal or even normal contract at 2D?
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#12 User is offline   PMetsch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-11, 04:02

Too late to bid now. Majors on my right and unsure about club fit. I should have doubled the Stayman response. It may get redoubled, but if they can make 2 redoubled, 3NT should also have a play. And if they don't redouble we get the best lead.
Peter

#13 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-11, 07:20

at imps no brainer PASS....matchpoints I might be tempted alittle.

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-11, 08:46

just pass

#15 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2005-June-14, 04:13

:)
Lots of good analysis on this one. One additional, rather minor point. What is partner to think of me after I balance holding only a queen and a jack?? It would spook me to be playing opposite a partner who would balance with this hand, although I think I know one or two local players (certainly not my partners) who might do so at matchpoints.
Trixi

#16 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2005-June-14, 04:22

mike777, on Jun 10 2005, 02:45 PM, said:

inquiry, on Jun 10 2005, 01:36 PM, said:

ditto

NV playing aggessive DONT I would have expected p to bid something over 1nt. Again getting in and out the first time. Of course you must live with X sometimes..but so many players play that as takeout here not penalty so we have a chance to escape and if not we take our lumps. More to gain than lose I think but many disagree. In any event we have less reason to balance NOW.

Hi,

I agree.

With the given or a similar hand in direct seat, I would expect partner
to enter the bidding, he did not do it.
Now it is much more dangerous and hence, I stayout.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#17 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-June-14, 04:30

Pass, this has nothing to do with agressiveness. If you want to be agressive, you should immediatly bid 3 after the 2 bid. :)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#18 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2005-June-14, 05:14

beatrix45, on Jun 14 2005, 05:13 AM, said:

One additional, rather minor point. What is partner to think of me after I balance holding only a queen and a jack??

i hope your partner thinks, "well it's matchpoints and she made a matchpoint bid.. let's play the next board"

#19 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-June-14, 05:17

Well partner would think: Good thing partner has some distribution. I'm sitting here with this good hand and nothing to bid, I'll pass now as he's bidding my points.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#20 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-01, 19:28

went back and discussed with several people....at matchpoints we have an understanding that we are competing for the part score and imps we are trying to get to game....so at imps pass....matchpoints balance.

if you have qxxxx(x) major and balance you are no worse off than when your partner opens 1nt and you transfer and pass. The math is simple 15-17 0-7 2-2=17-26 range, so at a min in a case like this partne also has a one notrump hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users