• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slightly easier to do

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-February-21, 15:42

MP

How would your methods have worked here?
We bid the slam which in hindsight looks like decent bridge to me (could go down against unfortunate red splits).
West certainly helped and I have some sympathy with those who ended up with just 500, less with the bean counters in 480/510.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-21, 16:43

I'd expect something like:
(P)-1-(1)-2;
(4)-4NT(two places to play or a weak raise to 5 - the lack of aces convinces me to not make a slam try despite the good support and void)-(P)-5(preference, but not happy about it. Partner might have 6-5 in the minors);
(P)-5-(P)-???
and now it's up to North. I think we're always going to slam with AQ in support, the extra trump and the ace of hearts, plus partner is marked with at most one spade on the auction. On the other hand making a grand slam try (with 5NT, asking for generic extras while denying first round spade control) seems way out of line opposite the weak raise, whereas it would be appropriate opposite a strong raise. So just 6.

If East opens 1 things will be a lot more difficult.

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-February-21, 18:17

I agree with the initial pass. We open basically all 11 counts…in one partnership 1N by south would be 11-13, so it’s not a question of counting points

I’d open every day if my majors were reversed, but my spade void is ugly from the point of view if anticipating how the auction will go. Plus I have no aces.

So I pass

Partner opens. It’s close between 2H and 1H. Since I’m rebidding that manky heart suit anyway, it’s not that my suit is too weak for a fourth seat 2H, which we play as 10-13 or so…and we have to give three points to that dubious club holding to get to 14.

Will/should east bid over 2H? He’s red v white with borderline values and a weak suit

If he passes, responder’s call depends on methods. Is a jumpshift fit showing or a splinter? Since responder is a passed hand and opener limited, and any jump gets us to game, I’d prefer a splinter but I’m going to discuss that with my partners.

3S shows a good hand and finds virtually the ideal spade holding. If partner has 4H, our interior weakness is likely no longer as much of a worry as it was.

3S, no matter what it means, is a mild slam try, since it forces to 4H and opener is known to be limited. Thus, if it is a splinter. North knows that south has about 10 working hcp…and Kxxx will appear to south better than KQxx, which is better than KQJx, due to playing opener for Axxxxx at worst.

So I think north is worth 4D over a splinter 3S. Will this get to slam?

I think it impossible to be objective, knowing all the hands.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-22, 01:19

I tried this with a splinter and would be unlikely to get past 4 - assuming I can splinter over interference - my East passed
Will try another way
My interface has gone strange. I shouldn't be too suspicious should I. Will reboot
No I won't say it. I am fed up with some of them especially when some newbie joins in
But given the rubbish and characters I have dealt with in my life to date it could be one of the **** in the next street or sitting out the front of my house in a ute. Sorry for sharing. That's the world some of us (sadly) inhabit
Its rather sad that so many people in so many areas of trust let us down that I even have reasonable suspicion to feel the way I do
But until I get a chance to investigate all options with one of my partners I will get back to you
It does look worthy of slam enquiry but who knows :)
Believe it or not I am still considering bravely going to a Bridge Club tomorrow - will report back how I go

#5 User is online   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2023-February-22, 03:01

My auction with silent opps:

1(1)-1(2)
2(3)-2N(4)
3(5)-3(6)
3(7)-3(8)
4(9)-4(10)
5(11)-6(12)
P

(1) «10+, NATish unBAL or 20-22 BAL»
(2) «0+, (3)4+ H»
(3) «10-12, 4+ H»
(4) GF relay (but here I’d just raise to 4 against good opps)
(5) 5+ D, not 4450
(6) relay
(7) usually either 2452, 6D4H(21) or 6+D4+H0S
(8) relay
(9) 9-11, 0463
(10) key card ask with hearts as trumps
(11) odd # of key cards, no trump Q
(12) contract

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-22, 03:53

Silent opps? Can you send them my way, that would be very welcome.

I would open the South hand 1 because we have a relatively comfortable 2 rebid. Also I hate passing with marginal values and spade shortage - more often than not we will be facing a tough decision over 4 on the next round. Showing diamonds is a better description than 'too weak to open' on this hand, in my opinion.

#7 User is online   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2023-February-22, 04:21

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-February-22, 03:53, said:

Silent opps? Can you send them my way, that would be very welcome.

It seemed like a realistic auction against pescetom’s opponents. :)

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-22, 16:41

View Postnullve, on 2023-February-22, 04:21, said:

It seemed like a realistic auction against pescetom’s opponents. :)

West is actually a good player... but was excessively cautious here, or maybe does not trust East :)
Although at national level only about 5% were in 4X, and only 3% made 6.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users