• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1nt with 4045

#41 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-February-27, 16:38

View Postjillybean, on 2023-February-27, 16:03, said:

pescetom, in an attempt to keep law discussions in the laws forum. :)

The discussion over in the Bridge Related Discussion forum where I made a remark regarding opening 1nt on 4045 was not referring to an 8B tournament. Now that I am aware that NZ 8B tournaments prohibit off shape 1nt openings, I would of course adhere to the rule. In other tournaments and club games (NZ & NA) it is not clear that same restriction applies, or if it is, breaking it is condoned.

OK. As I recall, you previously said that you would investigate whether your tournament was 8B, but you did not follow up to clarify what it was.
Is it a higher or significantly different level with lesser restrictions?

Here you would be allowed to open 1NT with a void if playing 6 or more consecutive boards against the same opponents. No way you could play it in a club game (but 6m322 or 5422 or 5431 or 4441 are all ok with alert. IIRC, in UK they also allow 6M322 and 7m222 but disallow a small singleton).

#42 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-27, 20:27

View Postpescetom, on 2023-February-27, 16:38, said:

OK. As I recall, you previously said that you would investigate whether your tournament was 8B, but you did not follow up to clarify what it was.
Is it a higher or significantly different level with lesser restrictions?

Here you would be allowed to open 1NT with a void if playing 6 or more consecutive boards against the same opponents. No way you could play it in a club game (but 6m322 or 5422 or 5431 or 4441 are all ok with alert. IIRC, in UK they also allow 6M322 and 7m222 but disallow a small singleton).

I haven't clarified which rules are in effect at this club, it was not a tournament. I am playing in an open tournament at this club this weekend, perhaps I should try reading the rules again.

Where is 'here'?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#43 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-27, 20:30

View Postjillybean, on 2023-February-27, 20:27, said:

perhaps I should try reading the rules again.

Where is 'here'?

As endless discussions on this and every other Bridge forum demonstrate, reading the rules is unlikely to be helpful.
If there was any small sign that players were starting to understand the rules then changes would be made immediately.
Non legit hoc

#44 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-27, 21:18

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-February-27, 20:30, said:

As endless discussions on this and every other Bridge forum demonstrate, reading the rules is unlikely to be helpful.
If there was any small sign that players were starting to understand the rules then changes would be made immediately.

:D Things would be so much easier if I had never read the rules.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#45 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-28, 07:04

View Postjillybean, on 2023-February-27, 20:27, said:

Where is 'here'?

Italy

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic