Bovine Bridge

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-January-23, 01:34

Matchpoints

Playing Multi (3 way) but also interested to know what others do with this hand in 4th seat.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 01:41

Mr Pearson suggests 1.
For me it would depend a lot on my partner, the opps and the match situation.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 02:56

1 seems right. In fourth seat preemptive bids usually show intermediate hands instead (for me: approximately good 12-bad 16) so that partner doesn't have to strain with an invite over a 1-level opening.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-January-23, 03:18

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-January-23, 02:56, said:

1 seems right. In fourth seat preemptive bids usually show intermediate hands instead (for me: approximately good 12-bad 16) so that partner doesn't have to strain with an invite over a 1-level opening.

Plus even a simple drury method keeps you low. Otherwise, I echo your post, about the 2 bid

Btw, jb, make sure you discuss 4th seat two bids. Multi makes no sense, as I see it. Multi is somewhat preemptive while also being ambiguous. Yet in 4th seat, both opps have passed. There’s likely to be no inconvenience caused to them. So I’d use natural, intermediate openings of 2D/H/S…or at least be sure partner and I are on the same wavelength
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 03:36

Depending on your 4th seat opening ranges there is no great need for a Drury bid, but if you play it in other situations there's no reason to stop playing it here.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 05:13

View Postmikeh, on 2023-January-23, 03:18, said:

Plus even a simple drury method keeps you low. Otherwise, I echo your post, about the 2 bid

Btw, jb, make sure you discuss 4th seat two bids. Multi makes no sense, as I see it. Multi is somewhat preemptive while also being ambiguous. Yet in 4th seat, both opps have passed. There’s likely to be no inconvenience caused to them. So I’d use natural, intermediate openings of 2D/H/S…or at least be sure partner and I are on the same wavelength

We used to play 10-14 as our intermediate range, and I would do that on this hand. Multi is not terrible if intermediate rather than weak and tightly defined and you have a good use for the 2M bids, but we don't.

#7 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-January-23, 05:46

This is an opening hand for me so 1

Without the suit I would contemplate 2 rather than 1 as I'd probably end up there anyway although this is a touch light on hcp

#8 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-January-23, 07:00

Aceless hand but you only have to find partner with x KQxxx Axx xxxx for 4 to be a reasonable contract barring bad breaks. Whether you can reach the game contract is another matter. It qualifies for a 4th seat intermediate 2 level opening, but I prefer 1 here.

There is the smartass bid of opening 4 here, and given neither opponent has opened, partner will have at least 10 HCPs but finding out whether they are the right 10HCPs is another thing. If the MP tournament was going well, I would open 1 or 2; if it was not then I would consider the speculative 4 opening (as stupid as it seems, it is not totally crazy imo.)

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 07:19

View PostLBengtsson, on 2023-January-23, 07:00, said:

Aceless hand but you only have to find partner with x KQxxx Axx xxxx for 4 to be a reasonable contract barring bad breaks. Whether you can reach the game contract is another matter. It qualifies for a 4th seat intermediate 2 level opening, but I prefer 1 here.

There is the smartass bid of opening 4 here, and given neither opponent has opened, partner will have at least 10 HCPs but finding out whether they are the right 10HCPs is another thing. If the MP tournament was going well, I would open 1 or 2; if it was not then I would consider the speculative 4 opening (as stupid as it seems, it is not totally crazy imo.)

A clear 1S for me, no way 2S or 4S with these cards. After 1S we're not going to miss 4H in your example as you say, and our hearts aren't going far otherwise.

#10 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 07:38

View PostLBengtsson, on 2023-January-23, 07:00, said:

There is the smartass bid of opening 4 here

This is a silly idea. You should be expecting to make your contract when opening in fourth seat. This should be self-evident - you could always pass.

Which 10 tricks are you expecting take?

Maybe partner does have ten points and a couple of aces ... you might then find yourself in a small slam!

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-January-23, 10:27

Weak multi in 4th seat makes no sense so is it best to play it off or with a strong hand do you still retain the 2 2 2nt?

This is what happened at the table and hence the title of the post. (I'm sitting East)

The real bullshit came at the end of the hand when south tells partner with 6-4 majors they shouldn't use multi but open that 1 or 1

(With a little better spots I open W 1nt 12-14)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-January-24, 20:36

Okay, I seem to be in the strong minority, but I would bid 2. I expect to make it on most hands, and I'm willing to give up on 20 point heart games to go plus by winning the auction with the first bid. I will admit I'd lose on this hand, but still.

Having said that, 2 by south playing Multi is - odd. 2 seems automatic. Yeah, partner has spades, I know that, but on the odd chance he has hearts and a fourth-seat Multi bid, I want to be in game. Why not tell him that? I guess he thought he could get away with the auction at the table (if we have the 10 card heart fit, partner will pass and the opponents won't bid their massive spade fit, if as expected partner has spades, I'm sure my 5-x club fit will play better than the 6-0 spade misfit. Which, of course, it doesn't, and we give up our opportunity to go plus. The fact that we could get a better plus in hearts doesn't absolve turning 2= into 3-1.) But I don't play Multi for some strange reason (starting with AC), so maybe I'm wrong here.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-January-26, 16:52

View Postmycroft, on 2023-January-24, 20:36, said:

Okay, I seem to be in the strong minority, but I would bid 2. I expect to make it on most hands, and I'm willing to give up on 20 point heart games to go plus by winning the auction with the first bid. I will admit I'd lose on this hand, but still.

Having said that, 2 by south playing Multi is - odd. 2 seems automatic. Yeah, partner has spades, I know that, but on the odd chance he has hearts and a fourth-seat Multi bid, I want to be in game. Why not tell him that? I guess he thought he could get away with the auction at the table (if we have the 10 card heart fit, partner will pass and the opponents won't bid their massive spade fit, if as expected partner has spades, I'm sure my 5-x club fit will play better than the 6-0 spade misfit. Which, of course, it doesn't, and we give up our opportunity to go plus. The fact that we could get a better plus in hearts doesn't absolve turning 2= into 3-1.) But I don't play Multi for some strange reason (starting with AC), so maybe I'm wrong here.

I don't play Multi (so if I'm wrong you know why) but FWIW I agree.

PS. AC? :)

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-January-27, 11:22

BL :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users