• You cannot reply to this topic

opening lead problem

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-April-23, 12:05

IMP pairs (again), opps are playing Benj Acol:

This is an example of a hand where I had a real problem trying to visualise a hand opposite consistent with the bidding which would give us a chance to get it down. What would your defensive plan be and what do you lead?

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-23, 12:50

It is a easier lead problem than most as there are only 3 suits to lead from :)

Either 3NT is making without problem, or partner has cards to put it down. With only one entry I am not leading a . On auction like this it is sometimes best to lead dummy's second suit, but partner has not overcalled 1 on first round so I am going to lead the unbid suit .

7 is my lead. (The 3 might confuse partner that I have length so that is why I like 7 better)

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-23, 13:16

C3

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-April-23, 14:49

I led the A. I don't like leading unsupported aces as a rule but hoped partner might have some club length and the right honor card layout existed that her suit could be established, and she had an entry. I was probably up with the fairies with that but couldn't think of anything else to play for.

As it happens, a spade lead gives a chance of getting it off if declarer flies up with the ace immediately, but that is almost certainly not going to happen. It almost works but the presence of the ten in dummy kills the defence. The contract as it happens is cold, the full deal:

East claimed at the time I could have got it down with a spade lead, but looking at it now we cannot establish three spade tricks without help from declarer. I posted it here because at the time I wondered what on earth to play partner for to give us a chance of beating it, and wondered what the much better players on here would have done.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users