BBO Discussion Forums: Play better than I did - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play better than I did We lost 12 imps…can you do better?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-January-25, 19:06

1N was 14-16. Opps play 3/5th leads, rev smith and udca.<br><br>LHO leads the spade 7. Plan the play. It’s complicated due to so many options. Try to be specific.

'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-January-26, 08:52

first thought is cash three spades ending in hand, T diamond,
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-January-26, 20:37

Needing 3 more tricks it looks like one extra in each suit other than spades may be better than trying to win 2 extra in diamonds. I win the jack in dummy and lead a club to the jack. It’s impossible to know a line because it’s in flux depending on what happens next.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   johnworf1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-January-27, 08:24

I'm going to win in hand to protect against a 5-0 spade break first of all....I'm then going to play my second longest suit and use spades as a communication suit. I'm going to go with the idea of playing a small diamond to the 7 but see if LHO plays anything high first. I will take another finesse against the queen diamonds...so I'm only not getting 2 diamond tricks if RHO has Q and 10 which is only 25%. Hopefully after this the rest of the hand should pan out.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-January-27, 08:37

View Postjohnworf1, on 2022-January-27, 08:24, said:

I'm going to win in hand to protect against a 5-0 spade break first of all....I'm then going to play my second longest suit and use spades as a communication suit. I'm going to go with the idea of playing a small diamond to the 7 but see if LHO plays anything high first. I will take another finesse against the queen diamonds...so I'm only not getting 2 diamond tricks if RHO has Q and 10 which is only 25%. Hopefully after this the rest of the hand should pan out.

You have the 10, you mean the 9

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-January-27, 10:21

What is lead agreement from 107x, 97x, or 7xx? Do I take the lead to be 1097x or top of nothing?

If it is top of nothing I am more prone to place missing cards in that hand, meaning win the spade in dummy and the low diamond to the 10.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2022-January-27, 10:26

I want to play establish a couple of diamond tricks at some point. But I don't want RHO to win the first diamond trick with the Q from Qx(x(x)) and then shift to a small club from Axx(x(x)). A club shift from LHO is less dangerous.

So:

1. J (less revealing to RHO than the K) in dummy, the 2 in hand (consistent with RHO encouraging) if RHO plays the 3
2. small diamond towards the T

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-January-27, 12:31

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-January-27, 10:21, said:

What is lead agreement from 107x, 97x, or 7xx? Do I take the lead to be 1097x or top of nothing?

If it is top of nothing I am more prone to place missing cards in that hand, meaning win the spade in dummy and the low diamond to the 10.

The opps are unfamiliar. Presumably fairly good: this is in an international invitational seniors event. Either 1097x or 7xx
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users