BBO Discussion Forums: BIL (Beginner Intermediate Lounge) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

BIL (Beginner Intermediate Lounge)

#1 User is offline   jdiana 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-17, 21:20

Does anyone use the BIL games and lessons? If so, do you find it useful? (Apologies if this is not the right forum for this question.)

#2 User is offline   Badmonster 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-10, 10:35

I never see anyone playing there. Is it used only for lessons?
http://badmonsters.blogspot.com probably will not change your life.

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-August-11, 22:08

Someone tried to encourage me to go there for a fun game once but they are usually just teachers looking for a victim

#4 User is offline   jdiana 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-31, 11:02

"Someone tried to encourage me to go there for a fun game once but they are usually just teachers looking for a victim."

I don't think that's really fair. I did sign up for it and, with respect to Maureen Hall (who started it), the BIL's website is pretty much useless. But several teachers run teaching games on BBO, there's a partnership desk (again, not really high tech), and Maureen sends out a monthly email. Sure, teachers would like to have new students, but I think that's true of most bridge teachers who put out free information.

Some of the teaching games are, I believe, restricted to those who have paid the membership fee for BIL, while some are freely available to anyone. I've pretty much stopped using BIL and won't renew my membership, just because I've kind of moved on to other ways of working on my game. But I think it was a nice idea when it was started. It just hasn't kept up with technology. I'd actually like to see more places for advancing students to try to improve their games and maybe share ideas with peers, as opposed to always being in the position of asking for help, if that makes sense.

#5 User is offline   tlalamba 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-October-30, 20:25

What is Super Accept

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-31, 07:00

View Posttlalamba, on 2022-October-30, 20:25, said:

What is Super Accept

It's a reply to transfer which is different from mere completion and which shows super acceptance of the transfer, usually indicating 4 card support and maximum strength.
For example after 1NT 2D the opener might reply 3H instead of 2H.

Start a new topic in this forum if you want more replies, many people will not spot your question in this topic.

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-01, 20:38

View Postjdiana, on 2022-August-31, 11:02, said:

"Someone tried to encourage me to go there for a fun game once but they are usually just teachers looking for a victim."

I don't think that's really fair.

With respect to why I said it, every time on this forum I asked for places to play relaxed casual Bridge I get directed to places full of teachers and mentors looking to teach you stuff. Not what I am interested in

I keep think, in desperation, of sitting in a pub or a coffee shop or a park with a pack of cards on the off-chance :(

"What are you doing? That looks like Bridge. Wow haven't played for years. Can we join in" :)

About 5 -10 years ago (I forget) I tried to join in a casual fun looking game in a pub. Sadly they had 4 :(

What are the chances of randomly bumping into 3 fun friendly casual reasonably competent Bridge players who will happily play some simple system that everyone understands :)

Happened to me once on a long train journey. Remarkable few days :)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users