BBO Discussion Forums: Almost serious question - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Almost serious question

#1 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2021-October-28, 20:34

I am a playing director of the small friendly tournament.
I got 5-5 in majors, Ace third diamonds and void in clubs. During the bidding I introduced both suit and declaring 2 spades. On the table 3-3 in majors and singl in diamond.
Opponents lead clubs I ruff it with small heart in my hand. No complains from opponents. I took the Ace of diamonds, ruff diamond with small spade on the table and play another club, trumping it in my hand with heart.
Still no complaints from opponents.
Another diamond ruff by dummie’s spade and I command to play trump from the table. Dummy plays spade, RHO plays spade and at this moment I realized what is going on.
Already as a joke saying “No, another trump.”
Dummy returns spade to the table and plays heart, RHO returns spade to her hand and replaces it with heart.
Not partner, not opponents still see anything out of ordinary.
Of course we had a good laugh after I pointed out what just happened, so no conflict.
But the question is: as a director what should be my approach to correct adjustment?

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-28, 21:38

The first issue is to sort out who actually won the first five tricks. Law 44 tells us that a trick is won by the highest trump, or failing that the highest card of the trick led. So you need to go through the tricks and work out who won them. It looks like:

Trick 1 - the highest club, probably an opponent otherwise you would not have trumped it
Trick 2 - DA
Trick 3 - diamond ruff in dummy
Trick 4 - unclear, but won with the highest club
Trick 5 - diamond ruff in dummy

There are a number of leads out of turn, but Law 53A means those have all been accepted. Given that you are playing the hand as well, I would suggest you sort out the actual trick count at the end of the hand rather than reviewing played cards in the middle of it.

At this point, you have won anywhere from 3-5 tricks and have called for a trump lead from dummy. All was fine with this trick until you made a joke about the trumps. This is covered by Law 73E, and induced the opponent to play a heart. At this point, the play needs to go back to the spade from dummy and RHO. RHO gets to put the heart back in their hand and all information about that card is authorised to your opponents but not to you. You could consider a procedural penalty at this point, but it hardly seems warranted IMO.

Finally, you will need to look at the hand at the end to determine whether your side gained an advantage from the confusion. If so, Law 12 outlines when and how to adjust. For instance, on a different hand you might have now set up diamond tricks and be able to cash them because you still have trumps you're not entitled to have under normal conditions.

#3 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-04, 08:52

View Postsfi, on 2021-October-28, 21:38, said:

The first issue is to sort out who actually won the first five tricks. Law 44 tells us that a trick is won by the highest trump, or failing that the highest card of the trick led. So you need to go through the tricks and work out who won them. It looks like:

Trick 1 - the highest club, probably an opponent otherwise you would not have trumped it
Trick 2 - DA
Trick 3 - diamond ruff in dummy
Trick 4 - unclear, but won with the highest club
Trick 5 - diamond ruff in dummy

There are a number of leads out of turn, but Law 53A means those have all been accepted. Given that you are playing the hand as well, I would suggest you sort out the actual trick count at the end of the hand rather than reviewing played cards in the middle of it.

At this point, you have won anywhere from 3-5 tricks and have called for a trump lead from dummy. All was fine with this trick until you made a joke about the trumps. This is covered by Law 73E, and induced the opponent to play a heart. At this point, the play needs to go back to the spade from dummy and RHO. RHO gets to put the heart back in their hand and all information about that card is authorised to your opponents but not to you. You could consider a procedural penalty at this point, but it hardly seems warranted IMO.

Finally, you will need to look at the hand at the end to determine whether your side gained an advantage from the confusion. If so, Law 12 outlines when and how to adjust. For instance, on a different hand you might have now set up diamond tricks and be able to cash them because you still have trumps you're not entitled to have under normal conditions.

I suggest being careful:

1. there are conflicts in antecedents- too many of them
2. T6 apparently was a proper lead accepted. At which point there is no right to alter. technically saying 'no, another trump' is a LOOT to T7 and a revoke {the designation was a trump and thus played in spite of dummy moving the wrong card and it is still in time to correct it and the subsequent RHO play- I suspect without penalty under certain conditions; the RHO follow accepts T7. T6 is defective and established where declarer and defender have both revoked. As I recollect L67 is pretty messed up and I'm not in the mod to untangle. The defective trick remains established with regard those other revokes and revoke remedies even if T7 is corrected (for instance when without penalty,etc).

We have finally found someone who has fun at the bridge table.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users