• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Many Lines Plan the Play 1

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-27, 09:21

Teams. Lead 5

You miss the best spot of 3NT here, and the defence finds the annoying spade lead, as everything else is almost a claim. Over to you.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-27, 13:28

have only looked at this quickly. I am inclined to take first trick with A and finesse 9. idea is to keep K5 holding safe, and then cash A later and take ruff finesse against outstanding honor. could go wrong on bad breaks but playing for split opponents honors looks sensible. even with KQ in west hand, there is still possibility of squeeze at end if same hand has A and QJx

the problem is entries and trying to draw trumps and hoping that the opps do not or can not ruff with 3rd trump assuming 3-2 split. it is a good problem, lamford.

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-October-27, 17:42

Quite the annoying lead! There is now not time to do much else than lead the club 10 and run it if not covered.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-28, 01:54

LBengtsson, on 2021-October-27, 13:28, said:

have only looked at this quickly. I am inclined to take first trick with A and finesse 9. idea is to keep K5 holding safe, and then cash A later and take ruff finesse against outstanding honor. could go wrong on bad breaks but playing for split opponents honors looks sensible. even with KQ in west hand, there is still possibility of squeeze at end if same hand has A and QJx

the problem is entries and trying to draw trumps and hoping that the opps do not or can not ruff with 3rd trump assuming 3-2 split. it is a good problem, lamford.

Unfortunately the 9 loses and they play a second trump before you unblock the A so you're an entry short.

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-28, 07:53

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-28, 01:54, said:

Unfortunately the 9 loses and they play a second trump before you unblock the A so you're an entry short.

yes you are right but I did say I looked at this quickly :) maybe best line is to draw trumps, then K in case of stiff honor, and finesse 9. that only loses if east has QJx(xx) and A with west. double finesse looks best percentage.

the clever play is draw second round of trumps ending in own hand assuming 3-2 so they can not signal and advance K (lol!) hoping for a duck...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users